Wheesung started his career in 1999 with the short-lived Korean boy band A4. He left the band after their first debut album citing musical differences between him and the other band members. After leaving A4, he signed with M Boat, a sister company of YG Entertainment.
He underwent a few years of vocal training under the company and released his first solo album “Like A Movie” in 2002. The album was very popular after numerous accolades from many well-known artists, including Seo Taiji in 2003, he released his second album “It’s Real”, which was as popular as his first album, making him the best selling artist of 2003 in Korea.
Wheesung left YG Entertainment after his contract expired in March 2006. He signed a new contract with Orange Shock Agency for which he reportedly earned 1.5 million. He began to compose and produce more with this new company having a greater freedom to do whatever he wanted.
On November 7, 2011, he entered compulsory military service. On August 9, 2013, Wheesung was discharged from military service amid a controversy over alleged misuse of his cell phone.
On May 12, 2014, after 2 years and 7 months away from the stage, the singer surprises his fans with a mini album entitled The Best Man whose single “Night and Day “, led him to win first place in “Show Champion” on May 14.
In August 2017, after leaving YMC Entertainment the previous year, he established an independent label, named Realslow Company confirmed that he would also be promoting under the stage name of Realslow these promotions will be when the albums are R&B albums; when your album is a ballad album and in all your other activities you will use Wheesung.
- Debut 2002 1st Album
- Seoul Myeondong Elementary School
- Yeomchang High School
- Mapo High School
- Sunmoon University
- International Cybernetics University
- Kyunghee University
- Hobbies: Learn manga
- In late 2008, British R&B artist Craig David chose Wheesung to record the Korean version of his hit single “Insomnia”. The music video was released on February 17, 2009 and Wheesung’s comeback was broadcast by Mnet on February 19.
- Gummy was his vocal coach, and also became his girlfriend during his trainee days.
- YG Entertainment was the “originator” of Wheesung.
- He was the singing teacher of Sunny from Girls’ Generation.
- He has under his tutelage Ailee.
- Previously, he was the one who helped BIGBANG and even helped to Hyun Seung (B2ST/BEAST) in his pre-debut period to leave his shyness behind and release his voice.
- He has won first place in music programs (Inkigayo, M! Countdown, Music Bank…) up to 24 times, the last time with Night And Day on Show Champion (MBC).
- He has a close friendship with singer K.Will.
- In his appearance on the program Weekly Idol declared to be a big fan of the group Apink and especially of Na Eun in response to this, the production team gave him a disc of Apink autographed and with a message from the same Na Eun which made him very happy.
- He made a musical project called “WS Duet Project” where he collaborated with artists such as Bumkey, Jessi from Lucky J, Geeks, ALi and Ailee.
- On May 26, 2018, Wheesung’s father was reported to have passed away at 7:40 a.m. KST at Konkuk University Medical Center in Seoul.
- He uses his stage name Realslow when he releases R&B albums and Wheesung for all his other appearances either on TV or in ballad promotions.
- Wheesung was investigated for allegations of propofol use in 2013 during his military service.He was suspected of using the drug regularly at various locations, including a dermatology clinic from 2011 to early 2013.Wheesung stated that the drug was taken due to a herniated disc in his spine and partial hair loss.On July 10, 2013, he was cleared of suspicion
- In March and April 2020, Wheesung was found unconscious twice after taking an anesthetic with effects similar to propofol. Unlike propofol, this anesthetic is not an illegal drug, so he was questioned by police as a witness before being released.
- In April 2020, Wheesung was suspected of having taken propofol several times with an acquaintance the previous December. While investigating a lead, police suspected that Wheesung had purchased propofol and sent his case to the prosecution with a recommendation for indictment.
- On March 9, 2021, the Daegu District Court, Andong Branch sentenced Wheesung to one year in prison, suspended for two years, on charges of violating the Narcotics Control Law, Wheesung was also sentenced to 40 hours of community service, 40 hours of a drug treatment course and an additional collection amount of 60.5 million won (approximately $53,200). Judge Cho Soon Pyo stated “The defendant is a famous celebrity who has received attention and love from the public.Therefore, he is an influential person and should have shown greater determination to comply with the law and be a good role model, but he did not. “However, the defendant belatedly regrets his wrongdoing and admitted himself to the hospital of his own free will and is receiving treatment.He is sincere in his intention to stop the misuse of anesthetics to sleep and the probability of a recurrence is very low, according to his doctor.He has admitted to the crime and has not received criminal punishment before.These factors were taken into consideration.”.
- Verbal Jint – 사랑해 누나 (Feat. Wheesung) (Remastered) (2021)
- AOORA – “FOOLS” Feat. Wheesung & Feelgood (2016).
- Soulstar & Wheesung – Real Love Song (2016)
- Come To Me – Yeo Eun (Melody Day) (feat. Wheesung) (2015)
- Kiss – Wheesung & Ailee (2015)
- As If Nothing Happened – Wheesung & ALi (2014)
- I’ll Remain As A Friend – Wheesung & Geeks (2014)
- How Much Is Your Love – Wheesung & Bumkey (feat Jessi (Lucky J )) (2014)
- Peppermint Chocolate – Mamamoo (feat. K.Will & Wheesung) (2014)
- Ho Ho Hobbang – Wheesung & Kim Tae Woo (2014)
- No Better Than Stranger – Baby Soul (Lovelyz ) (feat. Wheesung) (2011)
- Nice To Meet You – G.NA (feat. Wheesung) (2011)
- Sexy Boy – Lee Hyo Ri (feat. Wheesung) (2008)
- Control Light – Se7en (feat. Wheesung &. Lexy ) (2008)
- It’s Time – Masta Wu (feat. Wheesung) (2003)
- T-ara – “I go crazy because of you” (Lyricist)
- TWICE &– “Dance The Night Away” (Lyricist)
- Ivy – “Sonata of Temptation” (lyricist), “Cupid ” (Lyricist)
- G.NA – “I’ll Go Back Off So You Can Live Better” (Lyricist), “Supa Solo” (Lyricist)
- “Nice To Meet You” (Lyricist,Feat), “Top Girl” (Lyricist)
- Girls’ Generation – “My Best Friend” (Lyricist)
- Orange Caramel – “Magic Girl” (Lyricist), “Aing” (Lyricist)
- Seo In Guk – “Love U” (Lyricist), “My Baby U” (Lyricist)
- Super Junior – “Love Disease” (Lyricist)
- Lee Hyo Ri – “Hey Mr. Big” (Lyricist), “Lesson ” (Lyricist), “Sexy Boy ” (Lyricist, Feat)
- B1A4 – “Only Learned Bad Things” (Lyricist)
- TVXQ (DBSK) – “Paradise” (Lyricist)
- Younha – “Password 486” (Lyricist)
- Ailee – “Heaven” (Lyricist, co-composer and producer), “Singing Got Better” (Lyricist, co-composer)
- Jessica – “Sweet Delight” (Lyricist)
- Laughter in Waikiki (jTBC, 2018). Special Appearance
Wheesung TV Programs
- 2018: & 300 (tvN)
- 2018: Knowing Bros (JTBC, Ep. 119)
- 2018: Weekly Idol (Epi. 339 next to Hwanhee)
- 2017: Fantastic Duo 2 (epi.27 together with Yu ju from GFRIEND )
- 2016: Happy Together (epi. 471)
- 2014 Weekly Idol (ch. 150)
- 2014: NO.MERCY (Judge)
- 2013: Hidden Singer Season 2 (epi. 9)
- 2009: “Pre Star-1 Show”
Wheesung TV Drama’s
- The Reason I’m Waiting theme for The Ghost Detective (2018)
- Monologue theme for Should We Kiss First (2018)
- Again subject for Beautiful Gong Shim (2016)
- Come Back To Me Soon theme for Glamorous Temptation (2015)
- For You theme for It’s OK, It’s Love (2014)
- Trail of Tears theme for The Moon That Embraces the Sun (2012)
- My Way theme for Dr.Ch& (2010)
- Even If the World Separates Us theme for Road No. 1 (2010)
- Alive Even in Death theme for The Kingdom of the Winds (2008)
- I Don’t Want To Know theme for High Heels (2014)
- Love… That Cruel Disease theme for Two Woman (2010)
- Rain Drop theme for Why Did You Come to My House (2009) together with G.Gorilla
- Crescent Moon theme for The Restless (2006)
- Recall theme for A Moment To Remember (2004)
Wheesung Music Videos
- Mamamoo – Mr. Ambiguous (2014)