Wheein (MAMAMOO) Facts
- Group MAMAMOO
- Position: Vocalist and dancer.
- Voice type Light lyric soprano
- Vocal Rank Eb3 – E6 (3 octaves and 1 semitone)
- Register G#3 – C#5
- Favorite music Urban R&B.
- Religion: Catholic
- Baptismal name: Gabriella.
- Instruments: Drums and piano.
- She was a trainee at Core Contents Media (MBK).
- Wheein and Hwasa have been best friends since high school, both traveling to Seoul to fulfill their dream of becoming singers.
- Wheein knew Moonbyul from before RBW, they were to debut in another group under another company, but the project dissolved.
- She commented that when she was born there was a comic book called “For the Mermaid Princess” that an aunt liked very much, and the name of the main male character was Jo Whee In, her mother liked it and thought it attached a good meaning with her.
- She said that her greatest artistic inspiration is her own mother, who, being an art teacher, influenced her a lot in that field.
- She won in the first Chuseok special program “Duet Song Festival”.
- During the first concert of MAMAMOO Wheein unveiled her first composition entitled “Moderato”.
- Since 2016 she has had a cat named Ggomo.
- “Anymore” by Young Key feat. Wheein achieved #1 on MelOn on its first day of release, and #1 on Gaon Digital Weekly (one week)
- She achieved #1 on MelOn with “Good Bye” and an almost All Kill (#1 on almost all Korean realtime charts, minus FLO) The song also achieved a longevity of 26 weeks on MelOn’s “Weekly Top 100”.
- Model for Singles Korea magazine (May issue) in 2021.
- On June 11, 2021, RBW (Rainbow Bridge World) issued a statement confirming that Whee In will not renew her exclusive contract with the agency, although she will continue to promote with MAMAMOO for group activities as she signed an extended agreement to participate in some activities, including albums and concerts, until December 2023.
- On August 31, 2021, THE L1VE label shared a message on its official Twitter account welcoming Whee In as one of its artists.
Whee In made her official debut as a member of the all-female quartet MAMAMOO on June 19, 2014, being one of the leading voices.
2018: solo debut with the Digital Single “Magnolia”.
On March 19, an exclusive report claimed that Whee In was preparing to release a solo album and recently finished filming the music video in Incheon, China.
His agency responded to the reports and said “Whee In is currently working on a solo album with the goal of releasing it in April. she recently finished filming the music video.”.
It was announced that Whee In would make her solo debut with the digital single “Magnolia” whose theme song “Easy” featuring Sik-K, the single is scheduled to be released on April 17 at 6PM KST.
“Easy” is a powerful R&B hip-hop song about a confident woman who decides to be on her own after her boyfriend becomes distant. The lyrics are meant to be an honest message to those who take kindness and consideration of others for granted.
Whee In was involved in the overall direction of her first solo work. From painting the background of her album cover photo to choosing her as the main artist and photographer, Whee In did her best to reflect her personal color.
May 8 KST, it was announced that it would release an acoustic version of the song on May 8 at 7PM KST.
2019: Back with her First Single Album “Soar”.
It was revealed that Whee In would release single “Soar.” on September 4 at 6PM KST, whose theme song is “Good Bye.” was producer Jung Key, also included was the song “Easy”.
This album is an extension of Whee In’s first solo album, it captures the beautiful yet mysterious image of the petals of a magnolia swaying in the wind as the magnolia blooms and falls again. This is an engaging album where you can feel Whee In’s delicate and deep musicality.
The main song “Good Bye.” produced by Young Key after much trouble, the emotions of a person who has no choice but to say goodbye melt into the soft melody of piano and Wheein. Delicate but harsh vocals, deep in memory, that even stimulate the emotions. It is a song that continues the emotions of a person who has no choice but to say we must break up after much deliberation.
September 5 at 1:30AM KST, “Good bye.” ranked No. 1 on the real-time charts of major Korean music sites Melon, Genie, Bugs, Naver and Soribada, as well as No. 2 on Mnet.
The song charted #1 on MelOn realtime chart, and managed to stay for 109 hours in the top spot. The song also achieved a longevity of 26 weeks in MelOn’s weekly Top 100.
In its first week it surpassed 4,9k copies.Due to a production problem, the quantity was too small and sold out before the end of the first week of the week.Pre-orders were also delivered from October 10, a month later.Originally sold in limited edition format.After that, they sold 7,000 copies in September and 16,279 copies in October to see if the supply problem was solved.On the Gaon Chart in monthly album sales it managed to accumulate 23,279 copies sold.
2021: Back with her first mini-album “Redd”.
On March 26, Xportsnews reported that Whee In was preparing to release a new solo album in April.
The agency confirmed “He is gearing up for a solo comeback with the goal of an April release. We will release more details about the album once things are finalized.”.
It was officially announced that her first mini-album would return “Redd” the album is comprised of seven songs, with the title track being “water color”.
The theme song, “water color” comes in two versions in Korean and English (included on the physical album of “Redd” the track was available on music sites at a later date). Whee In helped compose the songs “Trash” in collaboration with PH-1 and “Spring Time”. and wrote the lyrics to “Ohoo” and “Spring Time”. the song “Butterfly” also has the collaboration of G.Soul.
“water color” is a song with trendy beats based on the new jack swing. It gives off the feeling of a painting that is energetically painted with a brush using vibrant colors. Whee In’s smooth and rich vocals add to the addictiveness of the song.
April 13 at 7PM KST, “water color” entered 15th in Melon, 11th in Genie and 2nd in Bugs.
“water color” topped the iTunes song charts in 12 regions around the world, including Brazil, Argentina, Czech Republic, Malaysia, Mexico, Singapore, Philippines, Thailand and Saudi Arabia.
On the first day of release the mini-album managed to surpass the first day windows of its previous album “Soar.” in the Gaon Chart in monthly album sales, it sold more than 17k copies and for its first week it surpassed 49.3k copies, accumulating 72,735 copies sold.
Expiration of contract with RBW and extension of contract with RBW
On June 9, Sports Kyunghyang reported that Whee In had decided to part ways with RBW after the expiration of her contract. The news outlet shared that she would continue to promote with MAMAMOO through mutual discussions with the agency.
Following the report, an RBW source clarified “Nothing has been decided regarding Wheein’s renewal of her contract.We are currently having our final discussions.We will officially announce the decision when it is finalized.”.
On June 11, RBW confirmed that Whee In would not renew her contract with the agency, although she would continue to promote with MAMAMOO for group activities. RBW issued the following statement.
“Hello, this is RBW..
First, we would like to sincerely thank everyone, including MooMoo [fandom name] both in Korea and abroad, for loving and supporting MAMAMOO..
We have renewed our contracts with three members of MAMAMOO: Solar, Moon Byul and Hwa Sa. [The contract renewal] was based on mutual faith and trust, and we promise to give them our generous support so that they can fulfill their dreams in musical activities and various fields..
Whee In from MAMAMOO has been in deep discussions with us as the other members for a long time, but in the end, she decided not to renew her contract. Therefore, we would like to inform you that our exclusive contract with her will end..
We fully respect Whee In’s choice, and sincerely wish Whee In, who is starting a new chapter in life, happiness and good fortune. We would like to thank Whee In for shining with us for the past 7 years..
However, the four members have an unchanging affection for MAMAMOO, so Wheein signed an extended agreement to participate in some activities, including albums and concerts, until December 2023. MAMAMOO’s music will continue as much as the great love the fans have sent them, and we will inform you about specific future activities later..
MAMAMOO is currently preparing for their summer concert. They will show good music and activities separately and together as MooMoo’s best friend, so continue to give them warm encouragement and support..
Exclusive signature with THE L1VE
On August 9, industry representatives reported that Whee In is very likely to sign a contract with the agency. THE L1VE.
In response to the reports, a source at THE L1VE commented “We are positively discussing an exclusive contract with MAMAMOO’s Whee In.”.
On August 31 at 12PM KST, THE L1VE shared a message on their official Twitter account welcoming Whee In as one of their artists.
On her personal Instagram, Whee In wrote “Hi, I’m Whee In. for the MooMoos who waited patiently, and for the many people who are cheering me on, I will work hard to show good music and a good image through THE L1VE. I will work hard on both solo promotions and MAMAMOO promotions from now on, so please send me your support! For the MooMoos I love, I will continue to work to show them what they want and expect. trust me!”.
Collaboration with Ailee for the song “Solo Christmas”.
On Dec. 6 at 12PM KST, her agency confirmed that she and Ailee would release a Christmas duet single called “Just Christmas”.
“Just Christmas” is a Christmas ballad that makes you not feel lonely even if you are. It was composed by Ravi and Park Sol Hee, written by Ravi and arranged by Park Sol Hee.
2022: Back with her second mini-album “Whee”.
On December 24, the first teaser images were revealed, announcing their return with their second mini-album “Whee” the mini-album consists of six songs, with the title track, “The Mini-Album”, which is scheduled to be released on January 16 at 6PM KST “Make Me Happy”.
“Make Me Happy” is a fast-paced song with a strong bass line that has an addictive hook Ravi participated in writing the lyrics of the song, and the song was completed thanks to the collaboration of numerous internal and foreign composers. The lyrics are memorable because they express walking the fine line between falling completely in love with someone.
Wheein (MAMAMOO) Collaborations
- JAY B – AM PM (feat. Wheein) (Prod. Gray) (2021)
- Basick – 눈이 오면 mmm (feat. Wheein) (2020)
- Peakboy – Diet (feat. Wheein) (2020)
- DinDin – do do do do do do (feat. Wheein) (Prod. Giriboy ) (2020)
- Kim Hyun Chul – Loving One Person (with Wheein, Hwasa) (2019).
- Park Bom – 4:44 (feat. Wheein) (2019).
- DinDin – Tear drops (feat. Wheein) (2019).
- Jvde Milez – Miss U (feat. Wheein) (2018).
- Standing Egg – Love or Like (feat. Wheein) (2017).
- Jung Min Hyuk – Holy-Day (feat. Wheein) (2017)
- Young Key – Anymore (feat. Wheein) (2017).
- Sandeul (B1A4 ) – Ya! (feat. Wheein) (2016)
- MONSTA X – Ex Girl (feat. Wheein) (2016).
- Louie – Please Just Go (feat. Wheein) (2015)
- CNBLUE – Domino (feat. Wheein) (2015)
- Standing Egg – The Sunlight Hurts (with Wheein, Yoon Dak) (2014).
- Phantom – Under Age’s Song (feat. Wheein) (2014)
Wheein (MAMAMOO) Music
Wheein (MAMAMOO) Drama
- Entourage (tvN, 2016) Ep. 1
Wheein (MAMAMOO) Advertisement
- 2019: KT 5G Song (together with Lee Do )
Wheein (MAMAMOO) Awards
Wheein (MAMAMOO) Radio Programs
- Day6’s Kiss The Radio (KBS, 23.04.2021)
- Cultwo Show (SBS Power FM, 22.04.2021)
- Studio Moon Night (Naver.now, 04.14.2021)
- Kim Shin Young’s ‘Noon Song of Hope (MBC, 14.04.2021)
- Kim Shin Young’s Hope Song At Noon (MBC, 10.06.2020, guest, with ONEWE )
- Boom Boom Power (SBS, 2018, as guest).
- Hongki’s Kiss the radio (KBS, 18.04.2018, as a guest).
- Starry Night (MBC, 2014, with Solar, as invited guests)
- K.Will’s Youngstreet (SBS, 04.12.2014, as guest)
- Begin Again (JTBC, 2021)
- Yoo Hee Yeol’s Sketchbook (KBS2, 16.04.2021)
- Come back home (KBS, 2021, with Hwasa) Ep. 1
- Gomak Mate Live (Mobidic-Seezn TV, 2020) Ep. 32-33
- Ya! Me Too (JTBC, 2020, guest) Ep. 3-4
- I Live Alone (MBC, 10/25/2019, besides Hwasa ) Ep. 317
- Yoo Hee Yeol’s Sketchbook (KBS, 2019, besides Hwasa and Kim Hyun Chul) Ep. 444
- Life Bar (tvN, 2018, with Hwasa) Ep. 78
- Secret Unnie (jTBC, 2018, together with Hyo Yeon ) Ep. 2-6
- Night Goblin (jTBC, 2017, with Solar) Ep. 3
- Yoo Hee Yeol’s Sketchbook (KBS2, 2017, besides Jungkey) Ep. 370
- Duet Song Festival (MBC, 2017) Ep. 35-36
- Singing Battle-Victory (KBS, 2016, besides Solar ) Ep. 8-9
- Hello Counselor (KBS2, 2016, with Moonbyul) Ep. 293
- Happy Together 3 (KBS2, 2016) Ep. 465
- Inkigayo (SBS, 2016, together with Moonbyul as special MC)
- King of Mask Singer (MBC, 2016) Ep. 55-56
- Star King (SBS, 2016, with Moonbyul and Hwasa)
- Same Bed Different Dreams (SBS, 2016, besides Solar) Ep.47
- SBSMTV The Show (SBS, 2016, as Special MC)
- Duet Song Festival (MBC, 2016) Pilot 2 (Lunar New Year Special)
- Duet Song Festival (MBC, 2015) Pilot 1 (Chuseok Special)
- 100 people, 100 Songs (jTBC, 2015, besides Hwasa)
- Yoo Hee Yeol’s Sketchbook (KBS, 2015, feat. Geeks ) Ep. 267
Wheein (MAMAMOO) TV Drama’s
- Ice Cream Love theme for One Ordinary Day (2021)
- I Wish theme for The Red Sleeve (2021)
- Shine On You subject for Record of Youth (2020)
- With My Tear subject for Hospital Playlist (2020)
- Shadow theme for Yellow (2017)