U-Know (TVXQ (DBSK)) Facts
- K-Pop groups: TVXQ (DBSK)
- Project Group: S.M. The Performance
- Position Leader, Dancer and Rapper.
- Specialty Singing, dancing, acting.
- Fanclub : Know-it-all / Gratia.
- Favorite Artist Michael Jackson inspires with his dancing and singing.
- Mascots he had a Siberian Husky dog named Taepoong, but unfortunately he had to give him away to another family due to lack of time.
- His childhood dream was to become a lawyer.
- His family and especially his father were always very strict with him. His father did not approve of him being a singer, but now he is Yunho’s biggest supporter.
- His father taught him a lot of things, which is why Yunho thinks his father deserves all the respect in the world.
- In 2006 after a performance, Yunho drank some orange juice; it turned out that the juice had been poisoned by an anti-fan and Yunho was rushed to the hospital. Subsequently, he forgave the anti-fan and dropped all charges against him.
- He knows taekwondo and won a Hapkido world championship when he went to elementary school.
- He is the Dancing King, always in the list of the best dancers.
- Yunho always stands up for his partner Max Chang Min he never lets anyone or anything hurt him.
- He is a man proud of his hometown, for him it is his world.
- He appeared in the 117th episode of Win Win Show as a guest along with Lee Yeon Hee and Go Ah Ra to talk about BoA.
- He ranked #4, among the top 5 male idols, favorite/preferred by girls.
- The actress Han Chae Young i confess to being a big fan of Yunho for a long time.
- In February 2010, it was announced that Yunho had been chosen to perform Michael Jackson’s posthumous concert in Korea. He traveled to Los Angeles to work with people close to Jackson.
- In a survey conducted by Pagoda Academy surveyed 37 Japanese language teachers to find out which “K-pop star speaks Japanese best” Yunho ranked first with 43% of the results, the teachers said Yunho is better in terms of speaking Japanese, responding appropriately, and expressing himself naturally.
- He participated in SBS’s “Kiss & Cry” program in 2011.
- He is close to the actor Kwon Sang Woo with whom he shared roles in the drama Queen of Ambition.
- On January 24, 2014, a representative from SM Entertainment. revealed that the singer donated about $33,000 USD, to the Gwangju Community Funds of Korea, the community where he grew up.
- In March 2014, Yunho was chosen as an Ambassador for “Korea Food for the Hungry International”. an international relief and development organization.
- One of his best friends is the actor Son Ho Joon whom he has known since 2002.
- He revealed that he is a big fan of Eugene.
- In November 2014, Yunho was chosen as a promotional ambassador for the “Korean National Assembly Library”.
- He donated all the income he received from his participation in the film Ode to My Father to the Green Umbrella Children’s Fund (ChildFund Korea), a charity organization for children in poverty.
- He fell from the fourth floor of a building when he was a child and has been in danger ever since.
- A representative of International Food for the Hungry indicated that the construction of the ‘ Education Center ‘ has been completed U know Yunho Center’. in Bongo – Ghana, thanks to Yunho and his fan club members who constantly sent donations. The center will host about 200 students, providing them with adequate education and food.
- He will release his first Japanese solo mini-album titled ‘U KNOW Y’ on July 8, 2015, but it will be a limited edition and sold exclusively to members Bigeast (Japanese fan club of TVXQ ).
- SM Entertainment confirmed that he will officially enlist on July 21, 2015 and by Yunho’s own wish they will not reveal the place or time, because he wants a quiet enlistment.
- He will have his last concerts as a member of TVXQ on June 13 and 14 at the Seoul Olympic Park Gymnastics Stadium, prior to their enlistment.
- He will participate in the opening ceremony of the World Universiade Gwangju 2015 (Korea) on July 3, as part of a mini-musical, which will aim to give a positive message of hope to the youth.
- He enlisted in the 26th Gyeonggi-do Division on July 21, where he will undergo basic military training for 5 weeks.
- His military service has a duration of 21 months, so he is expected to be discharged on April 20, 2017.
- Yunho was elected leader of the 26th Recruit Division.
- During the basic training completion ceremony on August 27, Yunho received the best recruit award, an award that recognizes the recruit who has shown the best diligence and aptitude.
- He is a close friend of UEE he even visited him during his training ceremony on August 27.
- He is a good friend of the actor Joo Won who said in an interview that he maintains communication with Yunho, even while in the military.
- After completing his basic military training, he was assigned to the 26th Mechanized Infantry Division as part of the military band.
- It was revealed that Yunho’s Japanese fans have been making donations to his hometown of Gwangju for five consecutive years, amounting to KRW 84,000,000 (approximately $71,000).
- As part of the military band, he has been attending several music festivals organized by the army, and participating in them as master of ceremonies (MC), instrumentalist and/or singer.
- Yunho became the advertising model for the ‘C& Reading’ reading campaign, organized by the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism, and sponsored by the Ministry of Defense.
- October 02, 2015 was the first time after 6 years of TVXQ’s breakup that he was seen with his former groupmate, Kim Jae Joong also, it was confirmed after the GFF event, Yunho and Jaejoong had a dinner together with the 85 club members.
- With his dedication and effort he has earned the title of Special Class Warrior earning the admiration and respect not only of his fans, but also, of the citizens.
- As planned, he concluded his military service on April 20, 2017.
- SM Entertainment has released a statement regarding Yunho’s violation of COVID-19 social distancing regulations. On March 9, 2021, it was reported that he was being investigated by police for staying at a Gangnam restaurant until approximately 12 a.m. KST last February. According to current social distancing restrictions in Seoul, restaurant service can only open until 10 p.m. KST, and then customers are asked to leave.
- In response to the report Yunho’s agency, SM Entertainment, released the following statement “Hello, SM Entertainment here. We sincerely apologize for causing concerns in this situation where many people are having a hard time due to COVID-19. Yunho recently met with three acquaintances at a restaurant in Gangnam, and was investigated for staying beyond the business hours restricted by regulation. Yunho is deeply reproaching himself and reflecting on himself for disappointing many people due to a moment of carelessness. We also apologize for not fully managing and guiding our artist to comply with the guidelines of social distancing in his personal time as well. So that the hard work of medical workers, quarantine personnel, volunteers and all those who make efforts to overcome COVID-19 will not go to waste, we will strive to improve our education and guidance on social distancing regulations. Once again, we apologize for the concerns.”.
- On March 10, 2021, Yunho personally apologized on Instagram after violating COVID-19 social distancing regulations
- He wrote “Hi. This is Jung Yunho, I apologize, I greatly disappointed the people who have believed in me and supported me. Above all, I am very sorry for the health care workers who are working hard and dealing with a difficult situation due to COVID-19 and for all those who have gone through difficult and exhausting days. I am very ashamed and angry with myself for not being able to comply with the business hours restrictions when I meet with my friends and spend time talking with them, and many people must also be angry and upset about my misconduct. I feel very sorry and sorry for not paying more attention and for my wrongdoings. I will deeply reflect on the violation of the social distancing regulations and will further follow the COVID-19 social distancing regulations, and at every moment I will think deeply before I act. Once again, I sincerely apologize.”.
Yunho was born and raised in Gwangju, South Korea. He has a younger sister and several family members worked in the legal industry, and his own childhood dream was to be a prosecutor.
When he was in high school, he and some friends formed the A+ dance team, and competed in various dance contests across the country. After winning an award at the first annual SM Best contest in 1999, Yunho signed with SM Entertainment and officially began his training in 2001.
His family, who suffered greatly from the 1997 Asian financial crisis, initially opposed his decision to become a singer.To support himself while training in Seoul, Yunho took various part-time jobs in the city, such as shoveling snow in the morning and working as a waiter at night.He spent most of his high school vacation in Seoul training and would only return to Gwangju for school.Some time later, he suffered a hormonal imbalance in his throat and underwent surgery that affected his vocal cords.After losing his voice, he considered giving up his training.
Throughout his years as an apprentice, he was placed in four temporary groups, all of which later disbanded. In late 2001, at the age of fifteen, Yunho appeared as a rapper and back-up dancer on the debut single by Dana diamond”, and toured briefly with her.
In 2002, he was selected to be a back-up dancer for Shinhwa and was chosen to be part of the Four Seasons boy band project, which consisted of his fellow trainees Kim Jae Joong, Kim Hee Chul and Kang In the project group was eliminated when Yunho and Jae Joong were chosen to join the group TVXQ in early 2003.
The stage name “U-Know” Yunho, a nickname he has been using since high school, reflected Yunho’s position as a leader who was always trying to understand others.
Debut in TVXQ
The group officially debuted on December 26, 2003 with the single “Hug”, during a performance by BoA and Britney Spears.
Yunho had brief cameos in the early years of his career. He appeared in the sitcom Nonstop 4 and participated in the drama Vacation and in the movie Dating on Earth starring all TVXQ members.
Yunho made his official acting debut in 2009, playing the male lead in the romantic comedy-drama Heading to the Ground however, the series was a commercial failure and drew criticism from netizens for its lack of acting skills.
From September to December 2010, Yunho starred in his first musical, a remake of the drama Goong from November 2012 to January 2013, Yunho starred in his second musical Gwanghwamun Sonata, a story set in South Korea during the democracy movement in the 1980s.
In 2012, Yunho starred in the melodrama Queen of Ambition his performance earned him a People’s Choice Award at the 2013 Seoul International Drama Awards.
In 2014, Yunho starred in historical action drama The Night Watchman yunho was widely praised for his performance, handling fierce action scenes and effectively portraying the delicate emotions of his character.
For his last project before enlisting, Yunho chose to star in the web series I Order You the series premiered on Naver TVcast in July 2015.
In May 2017, it was confirmed that Yunho would star in Orion Cinema Network’s upcoming romantic mystery drama, Melo Holic.
2015: Debut as a solo artist in Japan with his First Mini-Album “U KNOW Y”.
On May 25, the Japanese agency in charge of TVXQ, Avex Trax, announced that on July 8, Yunho would release his first solo mini-album “U KNOW Y.” The album contains a total of seven songs, including two new songs, “Burning Down” and “Tattoos & High Heels,” as well as three solo songs that Yunho has performed at previous tours and fanclub events, “BANG!”, “Tethered Ship” and “T-Style,” “Honey Funny Bunny” (a unique R&B song that was previously released in Korean) and the self-composed song “Santa Revolution,” which he performed at a concert in Korea.
His solo debut is as a fan service just before his enlistment for his Japanese fans who have supported him over the past years, as the album will be released exclusively for official Bigeast members on July 8.
Yunho entered the ROK Armed Forces on July 21, 2015.He received five weeks of basic training in Yangju , Gyeonggi Province, and was the leader of his squad.The completion ceremony for recruits was held on August 27 and he was awarded the honor of “Best Recruit”.Yunho officially joined the military band of the 26th Mechanized Infantry Division on August 31.He was honored as a Special Warrior on May 9, 2016.Yunho was honorably discharged from the service on April 20, 2017.
2017: Participation in SM STATION with the single “DROP”.
On September 18, individual photos of Yunho and Changmin were released for their upcoming solo songs. Both members will be releasing solo songs next week for SM STATION. Yunho’s “DROP” will be released on September 25 at 6 PM KST.
2019:Debut as a solo artist in Korea with his First Mini-Album “True Colors”.
On May 3, a source from SM Entertainment said, “Yunho is currently working hard to prepare a solo album with plans to reveal it in June. We ask you to show much interest.”.
On May 28, it was announced that he would unveil his first mini-album “True Colors” on June 12, which contains six songs, the title track being “Follow” and also features collaborations with BoA for “Swing” and with Giriboy the title of the album reflects that he will show all his charm through his exceptional musical color and presentation.
“Follow” is a pop dance song with a spell-like narration in the intro and a quiet melody that builds up the tension at the beginning. The metallic percussions and synthesizers create a dark and wonderful atmosphere that is enhanced by Yunho’s performance in the music video. The lyrics talk about using one’s lethal charms to captivate someone, so they have no choice but to follow you.
“Swing” is one of the side songs on the album that features BoA and regarding his participation, Yunho stated, “I am thankful that he readily agreed to appear in my song. You will be able to feel the chemistry between BoA and I on the track, which features a catchy bass line.”.
On June 12, “True Colors” and the title track “Follow” reached the top of the iTunes charts in several countries shortly after its release.
As of 10:15 am KST on June 13, “True Colors” reached No. 1 on the iTunes top album charts in at least 15 different regions, including Argentina, Colombia, Peru, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Russia, Japan, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines.
On June 19, Oricon announced on its official website that Yunho’s album topped its weekly digital album chart for the week of June 24. The album also reached the No. 5 spot on its weekly album chart.
After its release on June 12, “True Colors” topped Korean album charts such as Hanteo and Synnara Records, as well as iTunes charts in at least 15 countries around the world. In addition, the title track, “Follow,” reached the top of the Korean music music video chart on China’s QQ Music.
2021: Back with his second mini-album “NOIR”.
On December 17, SM Entertainment confirmed that the singer has been preparing for a solo comeback next month. The agency announced, “Yunho is preparing a new album aiming for a comeback in January. Please show much anticipation.”.
Yunho’s second mini-album is titled “NOIR” and is scheduled for release on January 18. The album will contain six tracks of different moods, the main track being “Thank U” and the b-side “Need You Right Now.” “NOIR” is available for pre-order from January 4.
After promoting the title song “Thank U”, Yunho will continue promotions for “Eeny Meeny” which will only be available on the physical album until it is released separately online in time for follow-up promotions.
“Thank U” is a pop dance song with a catchy and witty chorus. Created by Yoo Young Min with producer duo The Futuristics and mv stars Yunho along with Hwang Jung Min and Lee Jung Hyun.
“NOIR” topped the iTunes album charts in 18 countries around the world, including Spain, Brazil, Peru, Saudi Arabia, Israel, Russia, Finland, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, Bolivia, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Thailand, Philippines and Hong Kong, as well as topping the Hanteo chart and topping the digital album sales chart of QQ Music and KuGou Music of China.
U-Know (TVXQ (DBSK)) Drama
- Melo Holic (OCN, 2017)
- Go Back Couple (KBS2, 2017) Cameo
- I Order You (SBS Plus and Naver TVcast, 2015)
- The Night Watchman (MBC, 2014)
- Saki (Fuji Tv, 2013) Cameo
- Queen of Ambition (SBS,2013)
- I Live in Cheongdam-dong (TBC, 2011) Cameo
- Poseidon (KBS, 2011)
- Welcome to the Show (SBS, 2011)
- Haru: An Unforgettable Day in Korea (2010)
- Heading to the Ground (MBC, 2009)
- Vacation (AYUMA, 2006)
- Nonstop 6 (MBC, 2005)
- Banjun Drama (SBS, 2005)
U-Know (TVXQ (DBSK)) Musicals
- The Musical Goong (2010)
- Gwanghwamun Love Song (2012)
U-Know (TVXQ (DBSK)) Films
- SMTOWN the Stage (2015)
- Ode to my Father (2014) Cameo
- Make Your Move 3D (2014)
- SMTOWN Live in Tokyo Special Edition (2012)
- I AM. (2012)
- Dating on Earth (2009)
U-Know (TVXQ (DBSK)) Awards
U-Know (TVXQ (DBSK)) TV Programs
- Kingdom: Legendary War (Mnet 2021)
- Coffee Friends (tvN, 2019) (Ep. 4-5)
- Dunia: Into the New World (MBC, 2018).
- Star Gazing (MBC, 2014)
- Happry Together Season 3 (KBS, Ep. 182)
- Strong Heart (SBS, 2012, Ep. 153-154)
- Running Man (SBS, 2011, 2012) Ep. 27, 114-115 with Max ChangMin
- Kim Yuna’s Kiss & Cry (SBS, 2011)
- Heroes (SBS, 2011)
- Explorers of the Human Body (SBS, 2008, Ep. 9-10)
- X-Man (SBS, 2006)