T.O.P (BIGBANG) Facts
- K-Pop Group: BIGBANG
- Sub-Group: GD&TOP
- Education: Seoul School of the Arts, majoring in Music.
- Specialties: Rap, Beat Box, composing music.
- Hobbies: Theater performances, musicals and fashion design.
- Languages: Korean (native language), English (fluent), Japanese (fluent)
- Religion: Atheism
- He was the first member of the group to enter the world of dramas with I’m Sam
- In 2009 he returned to dramas with his character Vick, a mysterious assassin in the popular series IRIS
- Many criticized the film’s director for casting an “inexperienced” actor in the lead role, but T.O.P surprised everyone with his performance.
- He enlisted in the Army on February 9, 2017.
- In episode number 5 of the American series “Lucifer” at minute 24:23 you can hear the song “DomDaDa”
- On June 1, 2017, Channel A reported that BIGBANG’s T.O.P had been charged with smoking marijuana according to the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency. The police took the case to the Public Prosecutor’s Office, accusing T.O.P of violating anti-drug laws as marijuana use is illegal in South Korea. According to the police, T.O. P smoked marijuana at his home in Seoul in October with an acquaintance. The police received the information in March, and tested his hair during his training at the police officer training center. It tested positive for marijuana. It tested positive for marijuana. P smoked marijuana at his home in Seoul in October with an acquaintance. The police received the information in March, and tested his hair during his training at the police officer training center. It tested positive for marijuana. In the police investigation, he reportedly denied the allegations, saying, “I only smoked e-cigarettes and did not know that it was marijuana.”
- YG Entertainment responded to this incident, saying, “Hello. We are YG Entertainment. First, we convey our deepest apologies. After confirming with T.O.P, we have confirmed that, as reported, during his military service, he was called up for investigation for smoking marijuana prior to his enlistment. He has finished with the investigations, and during the investigation process, he has admitted to most of the allegations and is reflecting. We are sorry once again for worrying so many people. “.
- it was further revealed the known accused is a trainee, Han Seo Hee, a former contestant in the audition program “Birth of a Great Star 3”. According to new information, T.O.P and the trainee smoked marijuana at his house after times. The trainee has been investigated by the police and also tested positive for marijuana.
- T.O.P was completely edited out of the episode of MBC’s “I Live Alone” following its controversy related to cannabis use. a representative said: “As protocol, T.O.P, who was going to appear in the next episode through a photo, will be edited out. It was going to be a short appearance through photos, so it won’t affect the content too much “.
- On June 4, YG Entertainment revealed T.O.P’s handwritten apology about his recent marijuana case: “First of all, I would like to sincerely apologize for causing a big disappointment and disturbance with a big offense. I am too ashamed of myself to apologize in front of everyone. Therefore, I am carefully writing down my feelings of regret and fear. Because I have left an irrevocable scar on the hearts of the members, my agency, the public, the fans who have supported me and my family, I believe I deserve to be punished. My heart hurts, and I am also very ashamed of myself. I will meditate and reflect on my mistake again and again. I will never make such an irresponsible mistake again. Once again, I apologize for not being able to apologize to everyone personally. I will deeply regret my mistake. I am very ashamed of myself. I apologize.”
- On June 3, BIGBANG during a fan meeting at the Osaka Kyocera Dome, which all the members except T.O.P attended, G-Dragon, apologized to the fans for the controversy saying, “We are sorry to have caused any inconvenience, and we will make sure that this does not happen again. Please continue to support us “.
- According to the Seoul Metropolitan Police on June 5, T.O.P of BIGBANG will be prosecuted without detention for marijuana use. In light of the recent marijuana smoking charges, T.O.P was deemed unfit for duty in his current position with the police department and will be transferred to a different police unit.
- T.O.P was found unconscious during the morning of June 6, 2017 around 5 p.m. KST, he was transferred from the ER to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) but has not yet regained consciousness. It is suspected to have been due to a drug overdose. A source from YG, said, “T.O.P. has been transferred to ICU and is receiving intensive care. He normally takes tranquilizers, but according to the police, this time he has taken more than usual, we are still checking if he has regained consciousness. Please wait for more information ”
- On Twitter, the hastag “StayStrongTOP” was the No. 2 trending topic worldwide at around 2 a.m. KST on June 7.
- A press conference was held on June 7 at 4 p.m. KST to provide an official update on T.O.P’s health from Ewha Women’s University Mokdong Hospital: “He came in on June 6, 2017 at 12:34 p.m. KST. He was brought in by three people holding him. Our emergency medical technicians examined him and found that the patient was between a state of deep sleep and semi-conscious with constricted pupils and decreased corneal reflex, only showing reaction to strong stimuli. He was also suffering from respiratory failure due to low oxygen levels and high carbon dioxide levels. We performed the necessary emergency medical care as we believed he was in critical condition. He was admitted to the intensive care unit at 4:50 p.m. KST. After performing a urine test, we concluded that the patient had suffered respiratory failure due to an overdose of prescribed tranquilizers. We made the decision to treat him in the emergency intensive care unit as his condition led to a high incidence of apnea, which may require intubation if necessary. We were able to control his carbon dioxide levels but he is still in a severe lethargic state. We made the decision that the patient’s condition would require coordination of the neurology and mental health service departments, and medical consultations were spent at 11 a.m. KST and 3 p.m. KST with little success. Once the patient’s condition improves, we will continue his treatment with the mental health service department.”
- On June 8, YG Entertainment revealed an official apology following the controversy surrounding T.O.P.: “We bow our heads and sincerely apologize to those who were hurt and disappointed by the recent chain of unfortunate events revolving around T.O.P. He is taking responsibility for the controversy and will receive any and all retribution for not meeting everyone’s expectations with a heavy heart. As stated in an official conference from the medical team, T.O.P was taken to the hospital after he was found in a state of deep sleep and semi-consciousness in the bedroom of his quarters. He is currently in the intensive care unit receiving treatment for the third consecutive day. We are praying for his speedy recovery “.
- YG Entertainment released an official announcement on June 9 and said: “We are deeply sorry to the patients who have been inconvenienced during the last two days referring to the large influx of reporters, “…”The medical team at the hospital made the recommendation that T.O.P be moved from the intensive care unit to the general ward. However, his guardian requested that he be moved to a different facility that has single patient rooms to make his visits an easier process. We will not reveal the name of the new hospital as we want to avoid the situation we faced at the first hospital. We ask for your understanding “.
- the Seoul metropolitan police agency declared on June 8 a notice of prosecution for illegal marijuana use and was sent to T.O.P today and may arrive tomorrow. as soon as he receives the notice, he will be relieved of his position and sent home. the time he has spent so far as an enlisted police officer but will count toward military service, but the time at home will not.
- After the marijuana case of T.O.P and other celebrities accused of drug use, netizens attacked the objectivity in their punishments. Because of the discrepancies between the punishments with an idol, online communities questioned the fairness of the verdicts causing a strong controversy.
- On June 29, 2017, the Seoul Central District Court proceeded with the first trial for the marijuana case of T.O.P. During the trial, T.O.P admitted to all charges made against him of illegally smoking marijuana four times with a trainee at his home in Seoul last October. During the previous police investigation, T.O.P had initially stated that he was unaware that what he smoked was marijuana; however, he later admitted to two of the four cases. The prosecution has demanded that T.O.P receive two years of probation with the possibility of a 10-month prison sentence if he violates the terms of his probation.
- During the closing arguments of his trial, T.O.P.’s attorney made a statement and said: “At the time of the incident, T.O.P was in a psychologically unstable position and met with the trainee to drink. He was very intoxicated at the time and impulsively decided to smoke marijuana. He admits to all charges and is very remorseful for his actions. T.O.P acted in this manner following the suggestions of the trainee after drinking. After breaking up with the trainee, T.O.P stopped smoking marijuana. “.
- YG Entertainment released a short statement in response to numerous questions about T.O.P’s relationship with the trainee and said, “It is difficult to confirm anything beyond the information that has been released from the court “.
- T.O.P. made a public apology and said: “I sincerely apologize to everyone I have hurt or disappointed for this incident. I have made an irreversible mistake because of my unstable mental state and I am reflecting deeply on my actions. This incident is the worst moment of my life and I regret it terribly. I will receive my punishment and make sure nothing like this ever happens again “.
- On July 20 at 1:50 p.m. KST, the final trial was held where the court declared: “The defendant has acknowledged all the charges brought against him and has been found guilty. Drug-related offences not only harm the health of the individual, but can also have significant negative effects on society as a whole, so there is no option but to give severe punishment. However, we have taken into account that the defendant is sincerely reflecting, and that he has no previous offences. “Therefore, the court announced that T.O.P will receive a prison sentence of 10 months and two years of suspension, as well as a payment of 12,000 won (approximately $10.7). This means that T.O.P will spend two years on probation, but will have to spend 10 months in prison if he violates the condition of suspension during those two years.
- on July 31, the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency held a committee meeting to determine that T.O.P is not fit to resume service in his previous position so he has lost his position as an enlisted police officer; according to reports, the police department will submit an application to the army headquarters for a new position for T.O.P.
- On August 28, he was officially assigned to reserve status by the Ministry of National Defense and transferred from the Police Department to complete the remaining time of his service as a public service worker (generally those in reserve complete their military service as public workers). According to the Police, T.O.P will serve under the supervision of the Military Personnel Administration in the jurisdiction of his residence. The time that T.O.P has been separated from service for the duration of his investigation will not count toward his total service.
- He completed his military service as a public worker on July 6, 2019. T.O.P was scheduled to complete his service the first days of August, but a new military law implemented in 2018 shortened the service period, causing him to finish in July.
- On May 20, 2020, Chinese media outlet Sina reported that TOP was in a relationship with Kim Ga Bin, who appeared on Mnet’s romance reality show “Love Catcher 2” last year. Sina’s report showed a photo of T.O.P smiling with his arms around Kim Ga Bin’s shoulders. The photo was uploaded to Kim Ga Bin’s Instagram account and deleted. The report also included photos of Kim Ga Bin taken in a room overlooking the ocean that he shared on his Instagram account, along with photos of a similar ocean view that T.O.P had uploaded on his own account. It was also noted that the two appear to be wearing pajamas of the same design. After checking the publication, a source from T.O.P’s agency, YG Entertainment, told Newsen:“We cannot confirm details of our artist’s personal life – we ask for your understanding.”.
- On February 7, 2022, YG Entertainment officially announced that T.O.P’s exclusive contract with the agency after 16 years has ended, and from now on he will take on a wide variety of new challenges as an artist and entrepreneur. Moreover, he reached an agreement on this with the other members and as long as the conditions are right, he will participate in BIGBANG’s activities whenever he can.
Prior to joining YG Entertainment, Seung Hyun was an underground rapper under the name Tempo, and a childhood friend of G-Dragon member and leader of BIGBANG they were “neighborhood friends since middle school” and often danced and rapped together. Despite the fact that G-Dragon then moved away and the two “drifted apart”, they got in touch again when Seung Hyun was among the candidates to create a boy band at YG Entertainment. The two recorded several demos and sent them to Yang Hyun Suk, CEO of YG Entertainment, who later asked Seung Hyun to audition. Seung Hyun was initially rejected by the label because he was considered too “chubby” to fit the “idealistic” version of an idol. Seung Hyun later stated that he “went home and worked out really hard because he wanted to join YG Entertainment.” Six months later, he came back for another audition and signed with it. It is said that he lost 20 kilograms in 40 days. Choi Seung Hyun was given the stage name TOP (탑) after his fellow YG artist. SE7EN he became one of the two rappers in the group BIGBANG together with G-Dragon the two were paired with four other boys Tae Yang, Dae Sung, Seung Ri and Jang Hyun Seung and a documentary of their training was broadcast to promote them.
T.O.P (BIGBANG) Collaborations
- SE7EN – Digital Bounce (2010)
- Zia – I Only See You (2008)
- Uhm Jung Hwa – D.I.S.C.O. (2008)
- Gummy – I’m Sorry (2008)
- NBK Grey – Buckwild (2007)
T.O.P (BIGBANG) Drama
- Secret Message (Naver TV Cast and LINE, 2015)
- Haru: An Unforgettable Day in Korea (2010)
- 19-Nineteen (SBS, 2010)
- IRIS (KBS2, 2009)
- I’m Sam (KBS2, 2007)
T.O.P (BIGBANG) Films
- Out Of Control (2019)
- Tazza: The High Rollers 2 (2014)
- Commitment (2013)
- IRIS: The Movie (2010)
- 71-Into the Fire (2010)
- 2013 18ht Busan International Film Festival: Asian Star Award – Rookie Award
- 2010 47th Paeksang Arts Award: Popularity Award (Actor in a Motion Picture)
- 2010 47th Paeksang Arts Award: Best New Actor
- 2010 Max Movie Award: Best New Actor
- 2010 31st Blue Dragon Film Awards: Popularity
- 2010 31st Blue Dragon Film Awards: Best New Actor
- 2010 Style Icon Awards: Best New Actor
- 2010 47th Grand Bell Awards: Hallyu Popularity
T.O.P (BIGBANG) TV Drama’s
- Hi Haruka theme for Secret Message (2015)
- Beacuse theme for 19-Nineteen (2010) (next to Seung Ri )
- Hallelujah theme for IRIS (2009) (together with G-Dragon and Tae Yang )
- Friend theme for Friend, Our Legend (2009) (next to Tae Yang )