Sunny (Girls’ Generation) Facts
- Group K-Pop Girls’ Generation
- Position: Vocalist and Dancer.
- Sub-Unit Oh!GG
- Position Vocalist and Dancer.
- Voice type Lyric soprano.
- Vocal Rank E3 ~ G6 (3 octaves, 1 note and 1 semitone).
- Registration supported Bb3/B3~ Bb4/B4 (without head voice) and Bb3/B3 ~ Bb4/B4 ~ F#5/G5
- Seoul Chungwoon School
- Baehwa All-Girls High School (Graduate)
- Specialty: Sports.
- Languages Korean (fluent), English (fluent), Japanese (intermediate), Chinese (basic), French (basic).
- Religion: Catholic
- Fanclub: Sunshiners.
- Favorite colors Blue and pink.
- Sunny’s father was in a Korean music group where she was the lead vocalist.
- She prefers “Sunny” instead of her original name (Soon Gyu), as she thinks it sounds like a grandmother’s name. The name “Sunny” was given by her father.
- When she was a little girl she had injuries in both knees that had to be treated with surgery, after which the doctor told her that she would not be able to grow anymore.
- After her birth in San Francisco, her family emigrated to Kuwait when she was a young child, so she and her family lived through the Gulf War, she believes it is the cause of her trauma with pyrotechnics. If there are unexpected fireworks on stage she is affected by the sudden blasts as they sound similar to explosions. To help her members often cover her ears during the final performances, where concerts close with fireworks displays.
- Before joining and being part of SM Ent. she was in Starlight Entertainment for 5 years, she was transferred to Starworld where she became a member of the duet “Sugar” but did not debut, this company went bankrupt.
- She is the granddaughter of the Founder and former CEO of the famous company SM Entertainment (Lee Soo Man), because of this there have been rumors of her entry into the agency and the group thanks to this, however these rumors are false, as she auditioned to enter and kept the family relationship a secret from interviewers and teachers to avoid misunderstandings and people could focus on her singing and dancing ability.
- Prior to her debut, she worked as a singer and choreographed the KBS Children’s Choir and in the course of her school days taught music lessons at the request of her music teacher.
- In April 2008 she was involved in a controversy over the illegal use of a Nintendo DS chip after a Hoon TV broadcast showed Sunny with the R4 chip. The R4 chip was declared illegal in July 2008 for copyright violations, however Sunny used it before it was illegal so it was not an issue at that time to buy and sell it so she had no criminal punishment, however she was criticized for the lack of attention to copyright as an idol.
- On April 18, 2011 during Run Devil Run’s performance at the Angel Price Music Festival, a fan bypassed security and took TaeYeon pulling her by the arm, but the reaction was quick and she went to help her, trying to keep the fan from taking her off the stage.
- In January 2013 she was involved in a controversy when she was allegedly shoved together with Tiffany by members of Pop Pencil however, along with official statements from Chrome Entertainment agency, it was explained that it was a misunderstanding due to the effect of the camera and the coincidence of the moment when Tiffany pulls Sunny towards her at the same time Way extends her arm, then at that moment Sunny moves forward, making it look like a push.
- She has astigmatism in both eyes.
- She and SeoHyun are the only members who signed with Universal Music Japan individually.
- She made a donation of 32,500 New Taiwan Dollars to buy school supplies for 65 children in Penghu, Taiwan. Po-Rung Lin, president of the Taiwan Foundation for Children and Families and executive director Su-Chiou Ho issued a certificate to Sunny thanking her for her donation. In turn, the benefited children wrote a message to Sunny.
- After living with the members for a long time, she currently shares a luxurious apartment with Tae Yeon Tiffany and Hyo Yeon.
- She was chosen as an Ambassador at “The 17th Bucheon International Animation Festival”, the only animation festival in Asia dedicated exclusively to students. The press conference was held on September 17.
- Her grandmother passed away on the date on which Taeyeon launched her solo and had a series of concerts, and despite the death of her grandmother she attended along with Hyo Yeonto one of them, that made her appreciated by the fans because of her demonstration of affection for one of them Tae Yeon.
- She turned down the role in ” Age of Youth” for considering it too good to be her first acting job, stating that her skills were not up to such a good drama.
- She is a big fan of Michael Jackson.
- She participated in the musical “카페인/カフェイン/Cafe-in ~ Mr Sommelier Miss Barista~” in Japan the performances run from this November 03 to November 06.
- Recently Hyoyeon was on a program and decided to call Sunny… she talked with a lot of aegyo saying that she is 28 years old, Korean, has a car and will have a date next month (the date thing was just humor).
- Hyoyeon revealed Sunny’s breakfast habit. Hyoyeon says, “While I make breakfast, Sunny just gets up and eats cereal and goes back to bed to sleep.
- Sunny has been confirmed for a second season of the musical “Cafe-in ~Mr Sommelier ♡ Ms Barista~” from February 09 to 12, 2017 at Sankei Hall Breeze, Osaka Japan.
- A reporter praised Sunny’s body in an interview, and said that if she could trade her body for someone for a day, it would be with her; super slim but glamorous.
- On an episode of E Channel’s Life Sharing Reality – Sending Me To You, Sunny shed tears while talking about the members of Girls’ Generation who left SM Entertainment, added “They are all beautiful. I understand their reasons, and I want them all to do well. I want them all to be happy “.
Sunny was born on May 15, 1989 in Los Angeles, California and moved to Kuwait when she was still a child where she spent her childhood. When the Gulf War broke out her family moved to South Korea. She has two older sisters who were born on the same date but in different years. She is the granddaughter of Lee Soo Man, founder of SM Entertainment. .
In 1998 she joined Starlight Entertainment and became a trainee for 5 years before transferring to Starworld Entertainment where she became a member of a duo called Sugar which never debuted. In 2007, Sunny was recommended by singer Ayumi who transferred her to SM Entertainment. After a few months, she debuted as a member of Girls’ Generation that same year.
Sunny (Girls’ Generation) Collaborations
- STATION X (for every child, UNICEF) – This is Your Day (besides Do Young of NCT, BoA, Si Won of Super Junior, Su Ho of EXO, Tae Min by SHINee and Wendy of Red Velvet) (2019)
- Time- Hitchhiker (Feat.Sunny, Kim Hyo Yeon, Tae Yong) (2018)
- SMTOWN X Steve Barakatt – Sound of Your Heart (2016)
- Please Call Me Oppa (Ft. Rose Motel) (2015)
- Ma Boy! (Ft Tae Yeon) (Sunny’s FM Date Valentine’s Day) (2015)
- You Are My Lucky Star (Ft Byun Baek Hyun) (2014)
- Cheaper Creeper (Ft. Jessica Tiffany, Seo Hyun, Tae Yeon) (2014)
- Thinking of You (Ft One More Chance) (2014)
- Last Night Story (Ft Ahn Young Min & Lee Guk Ju) (2014)
- I Can’t (Ft Tiffany) (2013)
- Love You, Love You – Miryo (2012)
- Marry You (Ft. YoonA & SooYoung and EXO-K Chan Yeol, Su Ho & Se Hun)
- Cabi Song (Ft Jessica Tiffany, Seo Hyun, Tae Yeon) (2010)
- Gee (Jazz & Rock Ver.) (Ft. Jessica Tiffany, Seo Hyun, Tae Yeon) (2009)
- Sorry Sorry (Super Junior song) (Ft Jessica Tiffany, Seo Hyun, Tae Yeon) (2009)
- Beautiful Restriction (Ft Jessica Tiffany, Seo Hyun, Tae Yeon) (2009)
- Honey Honey (Ft Jessica Tiffany, Seo Hyun, Tae Yeon) (2009)
- Beautiful Girl (Ft Seo Hyun& Sungmin of Super Junior) (2009)
- Falling Slowly (Ft Sungmin of Super Junior) (2009)
- Scars Deeper Than Love (Ft. Jae Joong) (SMTOWN LIVE 08′, 2008)
Sunny (Girls’ Generation) Drama
- Sazae-san SP 3 (Fuji TV, 2011) Cameo
- Tae Hee, Hye Kyo, Ji Hyun (MBC, 2009)
- Unstoppable Marriage (KBS, 2007) Cameo
Sunny (Girls’ Generation) Musicals
- Cafe-in (2016).
- Singing In the Rain as Kathy Seldon (2014).
- Catch Me If You Can (2012).
Sunny (Girls’ Generation) Films
- SMTOWN The Stage (2015)
- Rio 2: (voice of Jewel) (2014)
- I AM (2012)
- SMTOWN Live in Tokyo Special Edition (2012)
- Koala Kid: Birth of A Hero; (voice of Miranda) (2012)Theme for Dramas
Sunny (Girls’ Generation) Awards
Sunny (Girls’ Generation) Radio Programs
- 2015 MBC RADIO DJ CONCERT FESTIVAL (MBCRADIO, 2015, as Dj Along with Bae Chul Soo).
- MBC FM4U, FM Date (2014-2015, as a Dj).
- Turn On Your Radio event (2014, Co-DJ).
- KBS Cool FM’s Volume Up (DJ Special, 2011).
- Chunji Radio (2008, DJ with Sungmin).
Sunny (Girls’ Generation) TV Programs
- 2019: & Running Man (SBS) Ep.466
- 2018: Pajama Friends
- 2018: Sugarman 2 (jTBC, EP. 6)
- 2018: Life Sharing Reality – Sending Me to You (E Channel)
- 2017: Running Man (SBS) together with Girls Generationep. 363
- 2016: People Of Full Capacity (MBC)
- 2016: Star Advent (Shandong TV, besides Hyo Yeon)
- 2016: Strong Man (JTBC)
- 2016: Weekly Idol (Special MC, January 15, 2016)
- 2015: Don’t Worry Music (2015)
- 2015: Daily Taeng9 Cam (OnStyle, 2015)
- 2015: Do It Your Way (KBS World TV, 2015)
- 2015: Hidden Singer4 (JTBC, 2015)
- 2015: #Heart A Tag (Mnet, 2015)
- 2015: Know-How (Ep, 4 Mnet)
- 2015 Channel soshi together with Girls Generation (OnStyle, 2015).
- 2015 Guerrila Date together with Girls Generation
- 2015: Running Man (SBS) together with Girls Generationep. 254
- 2015: Please Take Care of My Refrigerator (JTBC, 2015, along with [[Kim_Sung_Kyu|Sung Kyu]][ of INFINITE)
- 2015: Get It Beauty (OnStyle, 2015)
- 2015: #Heart A Tag (Mnet, 2015, Cameo ep.1)
- 2015: 90’s Saturday Night Ferver (KBS, 2015, as Mc).
- 2015: Shin Dong Yup’s Bachelor Party (EunHyuk’s Phone Call)
- 2015: Everybody (JTBC)
- 2015: Global Taiyaki Example Teaching
- 2015: Full House (Invited with HyoYeon)
- 2015: Super Junior Gest House (Telephone Call from Henry
- 2014-2015: Roommate (SBS)second Season
- 2014 Star Gazing (MBC, 1407319 together with Henry Lau
- 2014: The TaeTiSeo (Guest Ep. 5)
- 2014: & Radio Star
- 2013: Quiz To Change the World (Mc Special)
- 2013 Infinity Challenge
- 2013 Grandpas Over Flowers
- 2012: & Invincible Youth 2
- 2011-2012: Girls’ Generation and The Dangerous Boys
- 2011 Running Man (SBS) together with Yoonaep. 39
- 2009-2010: The M (Co-MC)
- 2009: & Invincible Youth
- 2009: && Hello Baby!
- 2009 Himnae-ra-him!/Cheer Up!
- 2009 Horror Movie Factory
- 2008 Factory Girls
- 2007: MTV Girls’ Generation
- 2007: Girls go to School
- 2007 Star Golden Bell
Sunny (Girls’ Generation) TV Drama’s
- Sunshine theme for Let Me Be Your Knight (2021)
- Necklace theme for Bossam: Steal the Fate (2021)
- The Second Drawer theme for The Queen’s Classroom (2013)
- It`s Me (together with Moon) theme for To The Beautiful You (2012)
- Your Doll theme for Oh My Lady! (2010)
- Haechi Song theme for Mi Friend Hae Chi (2010)
- It’s Love (together with Taeyeon) theme for Heading to the Ground (2009)
- MOTION (next to Taeyeon, Jessica, Tiffany& Seohyun) theme for Heading To The Ground (2009)
- Finally Now theme for Story of Wine (2009)
- The Little Boat theme for Hong Gil Dong (2008)
- You Don’t Know About Love theme for Working Mom (2008)
- Touch My Sky theme for Thirty Thousand Miles in Search of My Son (2007)
- Don’t Go Away theme for Rio 2 (2014)
- Weekly Idol (As co-MC with Defconn, 2016).
- Serial Shopping Family (JTBC, 2015, as MC)
- 90’s Saturday Night Ferver (KBS, 2015, as Mc).
- Turn Up the Radio’ DJ Special Event (As Main MC, MBC 2014)
- Style Icon Awards (MC, 2013)
- Invincible Youth 2news (Co-MC besides Boom, 2013)
- Juniel RCY (As Co-MC with Ryeo Wook, 2013)
- EXO RCY (As Co-MC with Ryeo Wook, 2013)
- Quiz To Change the World (Mc Especial, 2013)
- Super Joint Concert In Tailand (As main MC, 2013)
- Music Island (As Main MC, 2012)
- Big Show (Co-MC, besides G-Dragon, CL, Dara, 2011)
- The M (As Co-MC, 2009-2010)
- Journal 22nd Grand Prize (Co-MC, 2010)