Sunggyu (INFINITE) Facts
- Kpop Group: INFINITE
- Position: Leader, Vocalist and Dancer.
- Chonbuk National University High School
- Daekyung University (applied music)
- Hoseo University (Music)
- Hobbies Watching movies, listening to music.
- Specialty: Piano, Chinese, inspire fear within the group.
- Rolemodels Kim Jong Wan the& NELL.
- Fanclub Chingyus (Chingu means friends in Korean).
- Languages Korean (native language), English (advanced), Japanese (basic), Spanish (basic) and Chinese.
- Religion Christian.
- Sung Kyu is a big fan of the rock band Nell and especially of Kim Jong-Wan: they are the ones who made him want to be a singer. It was the artistic director of the band who suggested him to audition for Woollim Entertainment, when he met him by chance in the restaurant where he was working.
- Among all the members of INFINITE, WooHyun is the one he is closest to.
- Sung Kyu is quite a lazy person. He is nicknamed “Grandpa Gyu” because he is always tired. At the “Idol Star Athletic Championship” competition he is known to be the one who is always lying or sitting on the floor.
- On January 15, 2013, Sung Kyu went to graduate from Daekyung University with L and SungYeol. They all studied music there.
- Sung Kyu confessed that he is very afraid of dogs. He gets petrified when one comes near him, even if it’s just a puppy.
- Some members of INFINITE explained that before they started, they tried to divide the household chores equally. According to them, Sung Kyu spent her time giving orders without doing anything.
- Sung Kyu went through the Woollim Entertainment auditions with a very bad stomach ache. When the auditions were over, he had to go to the hospital where he was diagnosed with appendicitis. It was when he was released from the hospital after his surgery a few days later that he found out he was booked with the agency.
- The drummer who was performing on stage with Sung Kyu during the promotion of his solo album “Another Me” committed suicide in early February 2013.
- Sung Kyu is allergic to metal.
- Sung Kyu is part of the Evil Line (or KyuLine), a friend group created by Kyuhyun (Super Junior) and Changmin (TVXQ!) which also includes Lee Jong-Hyun (CNBlue), Minho (SHINee) and Suho (Exo).
- He is also close to Heechul (Super Junior), Yong Junhyung (Beast), Jonghyun (SHINee), Leo (VIXX) and actress Park Shin-Hye.
- His best friend is Bora (Sistar).
- Sung Kyu befriended actor Kim Minseok, also a member of Woollim, with whom he shares the same group of friends.
- He has been learning Chinese for 5 years. He is the only member of INFINITE who has mastered the basics of this language. He also knows a few words of Spanish which he had to learn for a role in a musical.
- Sung Kyu has a lisp when he speaks, which Woohyun loves to make fun of. He often tries to control himself to hide it, but his speech impediment comes out a lot when he gets angry or talks fast.
- His favorite Japanese celebrity is Aoi Yuu.
- While he was leaving a concert, Sung Kyu met some fans who had been waiting for him for several hours. He advised them to go home early as it was dark and cold. As a joke, one of the people present said that she would like to take a cab. To everyone’s surprise, Sung Kyu gave them 50,000 won to pay for their trip. This gesture earned him a lot of praise on social networks.
- Sung Kyu has been friends with Hong Jin-Ho since they participated together in the show “The Genius” in 2013. He also showed his closeness and complicity with producer Lee Sang-Min throughout the show.
- During INFINITE’s first world tour in 2013, Sung Kyu was so exhausted that he passed out in the bathroom of his hotel room in London.
- Sung Kyu confided that “Beautiful” was his favorite song from INFINITE’s “New Challenge” mini-album because Woohyun composed it entirely.
- Many people think that Sung Kyu looks physically like Henry (Super Junior-M)
- Kim Sung-Gyu was a very good student during his schooling: he was second in his class.
- If they are now best friends, during the trainee years Sung Kyu did not like Woohyun at all. He even told Hoya that if they were not to be in the same group he would not want to see him anymore. Gwak Jung-Wook confessed in a program that Sung Kyu and Woohyun even came to blows.
- Sung Kyu is the male ideal of the singers Eunji (A-Pink) and Yulhee (Laboum).
- He is close to Jung Hyung-Don who presents the show Weekly Idol in which the host takes pleasure in teasing him. Sung Kyu is even one of the idols who had supported his candidacy in the Infinity Challenge elections in 2014.
- When asked “what is your ideal type?”, Sung Kyu answered many different people. He mentioned Soyu (Sistar), Hyuna (4Minute), Hayoung (A-Pink), Ji-Yoon (4Minute), Jun Ji-Hyun and others.
- Sung Kyu confessed that he received proposals from MBC to participate in the show “We Got Married”, proposals that he rejected explaining that the shooting dates did not fit his schedule and that he was not especially interested in this show.
- In 2013, during his participation in the show The Genius, Sung Kyu was caught in a scandal. Indeed, in a discussion with producer Lee Sang-Min and host Park Eun-Ji, Sung Kyu would have used the term “Yomul” to talk about women who have reached their thirties, a word that has a pejorative character that could be translated by “sneaky” in French and that would designate women who manipulate men to get a benefit. The Woollim explained that the word had been used as a joke in the conversation and that the editing had made it look like an insult. Sung Kyu later deleted all the tweets from his Tweeter account and apologized for his clumsiness.
- On the show “Witch Hunt” he confessed that the outfits he found sexy were those of the stewardesses.
- He is a big fan of the series “Game of Thrones” that he liked to watch in the backstage of music shows during his solo promotion. It was Woohyun who introduced him to the series.
- Sung Kyu is the cousin of Song Hyun-Jung, a KBS reporter. The latter is the superior of Kim Gi-Heung, the journalist who accompanied KyuLine to India for the program “Fluttering India”.
- According to L, Sung Kyu is a leader who listens to the members and their problems. He explained that he was very supportive during his scandal in 2013.
- Sung Kyu knows how to play the piano (which he took lessons from for several years) and electric guitar.
- Heechul (Super Junior) revealed that Sung Kyu has a reputation of being very polite among idols. He always bows 90 degrees and often speaks formally even to people he is close to.
- He is very close to Lee Jung-Yeop, the CEO of Woollim Entertainment. Following an article in “The Fact” magazine the rumor even spread in 2015 that he was his nephew, which turned out to be false.
- Sung Kyu has always been a big fan of rock music. He even became the lead singer of his Jeonju high school rock band which was called “Comatose Beat”. He revealed that he was very fond of the song “High&Dry” by the British band Radiohead which he listened to a lot at that time.
- Sung Kyu was named “Best Kpop Leader” by Arirang’s Pop in Seoul on February 3, 2016.
- Sung Kyu is the fourth Korean solo artist with the most fans on Melon, behind G-Dragon (BIGBANG), Xia Junsu (JYJ) and Taeyang (BIGBANG).
- Among all the celebrities on Melon, Sung Kyu is the 44th personality with the most fans behind Ariana Grande and just ahead of Lay (EXO) and Ed Sheeran. He is the member of INFINITE who has the most fans on Melon, with the second most fans, Woohyun being at the 75th place.
- Sung Kyu had for a long time the image of a very hard and authoritarian leader. This is mainly due to an episode of Sesame Player where he is seen taking back L and Sungjong who were making mistakes during the rehearsals of the choreography of “Be Mine”. The other members of the group responded that while he was very far from letting it happen, he was also a very supportive and understanding leader. They even added that it was his authority that kept them together as a group.
- Sung Kyu hates doing aegyos i.e. acting cute. However, he said that when Woohyun was angry with him and didn’t talk to him, he used to make aegyos to calm him down.
- According to him Hoya is the member who understands his humor the least.
- Sung Kyu mentions Dragon Ball, Slam Dunk and One Piece as his three favorite anime.
- Sung Kyu’s musical references are mainly rock and r’n’b. He is particularly fond of rock bands such as Radiohead, Placebo, Hoobastank, Muse or Oasis. He said in an interview that “Hysteria” is his favorite song of Muse. Sung Kyu also likes singer Bruno mars, whom he went to see in concert in Seoul in 2014 with Hoya, as well as American singer Taylor Swift.
- Sung Kyu recorded the guides for most of the songs in INFINITE. This means that he recorded each song in its entirety so that the other members could then each learn their parts.
- Sung Kyu can’t swim and doesn’t like water, even though the members have tried to teach him several times.
- Sung Kyu is a big fan of the female group GFriend. He even changed one of their songs “Me Gustas Tu” to “Me Gyustas Tu” to incorporate his nickname.
- He practiced judo and taekwondo as a child.
- Sung Kyu has a very sarcastic and sometimes breaking humor towards his close relations as well as towards his fans, which could cause him some misunderstandings. His scathing repartee amuses a lot the Koreans who like to go to see him in signing session to provoke him and see what he will answer. This behavior earned him the nickname of sassy Gyu.
- Sung Kyu is known to love strawberries, earning him the nickname “딸규” (Gyu-Strawberry) ever since netizens were amused to see him tasting them during an episode of Immortal Song. He was so obsessed with his tasting, that he forgot to respond to the host. In 2017, he was selected by Woohyun to go strawberry picking with Dongwoo while filming himself live, which definitely imposed the nickname.
- Sung Kyu was the leader of the negotiations for INFINITE’s contract renewal with Woollim. He said he wanted to protect the group by keeping its name and formation.
- When Sung Kyu performed his song “City of Angels” during INFINITE’s fanmeetings in December 2017, the song did not have a title yet. Sung Kyu then asked fans to suggest possible titles. The fans then started shouting “Laser” because laser-like light effects were used during her performance. Sung Kyu immediately rejected the suggestion, but fans still like to tease him by calling the song laser in front of him like during his showcase for the release of 10 Stories.
- Sung Kyu said that his favorite band is Coldplay and his favorite song “Yellow”. He actually went to see them in concert with Woohyun when they came to Seoul in 2017.
- Sung Kyu confided that the director of Woollim was against his participation in “Amadeus” and tried to dissuade him. It was after seeing him on stage that he recognized that Sung Kyu had made the right choice.
- For his final solo concert day on May 7, 2018, Sung Kyu performed his song “Daydream” alongside Kim Jongwan (Nell) and Tablo (Epik High). This was the first time ever that the song’s three original singers were reunited since the song’s release in 2015.
- In the week leading up to his departure to the army, Sung Kyu spent three full days with Woohyun.
- Sung Kyu explained during the press conference on August 14, 2018, that the rehearsals for the musical “Shinheung Military Academy” were a bit complicated for him at first. This is because his character is the instructor of the other two main characters while the performers of these two students are both higher in the military than him.
- Sung Kyu’s vocal performance in the musical “Shinheung Military Academy” was widely praised by the critics. Despite his busy scenes, the singer was able to maintain a stable and powerful voice.
- Sung Kyu became friends with Ji Chang Wook during his military service. Dong Woo revealed that while on leave, Sung Kyu spent time with him, Ji Chang Wook and Woo Hyun.
Kim Sung Kyu was born on April 28, 1989 in Jeonju, South Korea. He attended Jeonju National High School and was in a school rock band called “Beat.” When Sungkyu told his parents about his dream of becoming a singer, they rejected him because they wanted him to have a normal life and said they would prefer him to leave home instead. He continued to practice in secret and came to Seoul just to pursue his dreams after graduating from high school. In 2007, he auditioned for SM Entertainment but failed to pass, he auditioned once more in 2008 only to fail again. Due to his admiration for the rock band Nell, owned by Woollim Entertainment agency and under the recommendation of Nell’s director whom he had met casually at the coffee shop where he worked part-time, with a stomach ache Sung Kyu went to audition at the said company and lightly threatened them saying, “If I don’t get picked, I’m leaving!.
Sunggyu (INFINITE) Career
2012: Debut with his First Mini Album ‘Another Me’.
Kim Sung Kyu would be the first member of INFINITE to debut as a solo artist, releasing his first solo mini-album called “Another Me” sung Kyu would work with his favorite artist Kim Jong Wan from NELL, who composed the single for “Shine” and would give it to him as a gift, the single would be previously released on November 17.
In his first mini album Sung Kyu would also work with SWEETTUNE to create a modern rock, his album would consist of 7 songs: “Another Me (Intro)”, “60 Seconds” “I Need You”, “Only Tears (Acoustic Vers.)”, “Shine”, “41 Days” and “I Need You”. “60 Seconds (Acoustic Version) “exclusive song for the physical version of the album “Another Me” sung Kyu would personally participate in writing the lyrics of the song “41 Days, the album would consist of two lead singles with the first single being “60 Seconds” for the filming of his first MV he would count with the participation of his INFINITE member, L would play the main character, and the second single would be “I Need You” who would feature Sung Kyu as the main character in his MV.
Although its promotion period was short, 3 weeks, the album was well received and became the best-selling physical album in the month of November, with 62,958 copies sold, “The album is the best-selling album of the month.Another Me ” ranked #22 on Gaon Chart’s 2012 annual physical albums chart.
2015: Back with his Second Mini Album ’27’.
On April 26, Kim Sung Kyu would unveil the first teaser image for his first comeback with his second mini album, with the tagline “The name of INFINITE leader Sunggyu’s second mini album is?” and in the teaser image we can see Sung Kyu looking directly at the camera and the only text on the camera being the number ‘…’.27′, referring that this would be the name of his second mini album, it would also be revealed and confirmed that Sung Kyu would work with NELL’s Kim Jong Wan, then agency partner, for the production of his second mini album, this being the first time that Jong Wan produces a full album other than his group’s, through INFINITE’s website, it would be confirmed that Kim Sung Kyu would again have two main songs to promote with.
On April 29, Kim Sung Kyu would unveil the first video teaser for one of its title songs, “The Answer” the video, with a nostalgic aura and where we can see him in an image different from the usual style he has with his group INFINITE, on May 4, the second teaser video for his second main song will be unveiled, “control” which is the complete opposite of the first teaser for “The Answer” with more colors and quirky images, the date of his return with his second mini-album “27” would be May 10.
On May 7, Kim Sung Kyu would unveil the preview of his second mini-album “27” the name of each of the 6 songs that would make up the album was also revealed: “27”, “The Answer” Alive, “control” daydream (feat, TALO & JW)” and “Casual Conversation (feat Park Yun Ha),” each and every one of the songs would be composed by NELL’s Kim Jong Wan, it was also revealed that one of the songs would feature TABLO and JW together under the pseudonym “Daydream (feat, TALO & JW)” Bordeline.
On May 11, Kim Sung Kyu would make his comeback with his second mini-album “27” unveiling the two videos for its lead tracks “The Answer” and “control”.
2018: Return with First Album ’10 Stories’
On February 13th at midnight, Kim Sung Kyu would reveal the first comeback teaser video, where we can see him enter a recording studio and have a conversation with Kim Jong Wan from NELL, who would also collaborate in Sung Kyu’s previous two mini albums, about the struggle of his busy life as an idol and trying to find time to have a relationship, at the end of the video we can hear a few seconds of his title song with the phrase “Oh it’s true love, believe in my heart.” the date, February 26th, will be their comeback with their first album.
On February 18 at midnight, Kim Sung Kyu would unveil the first teaser image for his comeback, where he reveals that the name of his first album is “10 Stories” the next day, February 19, at midnight, he would share with us a second teaser image, under the same title, “The first teaser image of a movie, with the same title “10 Stories” but with a different concept than the first, the next day would reveal six more exclusive teaser images that would follow the same concept of the second teaser.
On February 20 at midnight, Kim Sung Kyu would unveil a video teaser in its short version, for his comeback with his debut album “10 Stories” in the short video, we see Sung Kyu looking contemplative as he climbs a hill with the sunset in the background, while we can listen to a short part of the instrumental in the video.
on February 21 at midnight, Kim Sung Kyu would unveil the track list for his comeback with his debut album “10 Stories” which, as we could deduce from the name of the album, would be composed of 10 tracks: “Told You So”, “Stay”, “True Love” the album, “Attraction”, “The Days Erased”, “Till Sunrise”, “Sorry”, “City Of Angels”, “Sentimental” and “Mirror”, confirmed once again that Sung Kyu would work with Kim Jong Wan of NELL for his complete album as he was part of each and every one of the songs on it, his title track “True Love” the album will be composed by Jong Wan and Spaceboy and written by Jong Wan, in addition to the participation and contribution of other artists for the rest of the songs on the album, such as Lee Jung Hoon of NELL, Juuno of Casker, Spaceboy, Zooey and Tablo of EPIK HIGH.
On February 22 at midnight, Kim Sung Kyu would unveil a teaser in its long version, for his comeback with his first album “10 Stories” where we can see Sunk Kyu walking in different places of Hong Kong, place where his MV was recorded.
On Feb. 23 at midnight, Kim Sung Kyu would unveil a preview of his album “10 Stories” this is an album of Rock, Indie and Ballad genres.
On February 26 at 6 PM KST, Kim Sung Kyu would release his debut album “10 Stories” along with its music video for its title song, “True Love” is a ballad song with rock sounds.
Sunggyu (INFINITE) Advertisement
- Samsung “GALAXY PLAYER”
- NIKE 1st Look
Sunggyu (INFINITE) Collaborations
- Primary – Drama (feat. Kim Sung Kyu) (2017)
- Yoon Sang – RE 나에게 (Duet with Kim Sung Kyu) (11-12-2014).
- Kanto – What You Want feat. Kim Sung Kyu (2013)
- Kim Sung Kyu 1st Solo Concert “Shine” 2018
- may 05, 06 & 07 – Seoul, South Korea – Kyung Hee University Grand Peace Palace
Sunggyu (INFINITE) Drama
- Beautiful Woman (Hunan TV, TBA)
- Pure Love (KBS, 2013) Cameo
- The Thousandth Man (MBC, 2012) Cameo
Sunggyu (INFINITE) Musicals
- Shinheung Military Academy (2018-2019)
- Gwanghamun Sonata (2017) – As Myungwoo
- All Shook Up (2016) – Like Elvis
- In The Heights (2015-2017) – As Benny, along with his partner in INFINITE Dongwoo
- Vampire Musical (Japan, 2014) – As Count Dracula
- Gwanghamun Sonata (2012) – As Jiyoung
Sunggyu (INFINITE) Films
- GROW: Infinite’s Real Youth Life (2014)
- INFINITE Concert Second Invasion Evolution The Movie 3D (2012)
Sunggyu (INFINITE) Awards
Sunggyu (INFINITE) Radio Programs
- Mellon Infinite 성규의 무한지대 Kyu (DJ) (KBS, 2015).
- Super Junior Kiss The Radio (temporary DJ) (KBS, 2011)
- Yonge Street (SBS, 2011) with Kim Hee Cheul
Sunggyu (INFINITE) TV Programs
- Radio Star (MBC, 2018)
- Ask in a Box (2018)
- Weekly Idol (MBC, 2018)
- Island Trio (tvN, 2017)
- Carefree Travelers (jTBC, 2017).
- Living Together in Empty Room (MBC, 2017).
- Radio Show (MBC, 2017) MC Special
- Singderella (Channel A, 2017) MC
- Girl Spirit (jTBC, 2016) (MC)
- Showtime (MBC, 2015-2016)
- A Song for You 4 (KBS, 2015) Ep. 4
- Take Care Of My Fridge (2015)
- Weekly Idol (MBC, 2015) Infinite
- World Changing Quiz Show/Three Wheels (MBC, 29.05.2015)
- After School Club (2015) Soloist
- Weekly Idol (MBC, 2015) Soloist
- Fluttering India (KBS, 2015) Next to Changmin, Kyuhyun, Minho, Jonghyun and Suho
- 4 Things Show (Mnet, 2014) Ep. 14
- Crime Scene (jTBC, 2014) Ep. 7
- After School Club (2014)
- Weekly Idol (MBC, 2014) Ep. 201
- Running Man (SBS, 2014) Ep. 201, with Hoya
- Global We Got Married – Season 2 (MBC, 2014) Ep. 6
- This is Infinite (Mnet, 2014)
- Running Man (SBS, 2014) Ep. 179-180
- The Dreaming Sea (2013)
- Running Man (SBS, 2013) Ep. 162, with L
- Arirang Pops in Seoul (2013)
- Open Concert (KBS1, 2013)
- Weekly Idol (MBC, 2013)
- Crisis Escape Number One (KBS, 2013)
- Infinity Challenge (MBC, 2013)
- Live Tong Plus (KBS, 2013)
- WIDE Entertainment News (Mnet, 2013)
- Enemy Broadcast (Mnet, 2013)
- Guerrilla Date (KBS, 2013)
- Vivid Informed Filming (KBS, 2013)
- Live Tong Plus (KBS2, 2013)
- Open Concert (KBS, 2013)
- Simply Kpop (Arirang TV, 2013)
- Jjang (Mnet, 2013) (Ep. 43)
- Hello Counselor (KBS, 2013) With Woohyun
- Mamma Mia! (SBS, 2013) Special Guests
- High Society (jTBC, 2013) Ep. 75-76, all but Dong Woo
- Weekly Idol (2013)
- Ask in a box (2013)
- The Beatles Code 2 (Mnet, 2013)
- Show! Music Core (MBC, 2013) MCs, with Woohyun and L
- High Society (jTBC, 2013)
- Jjang! (Mnet, 2013) Ep.37
- TrunQ Korea (2013)
- Jjang! (Mnet, 2013) Ep. 36.2
- 2013 Idol Athletic Championship (MBC, 2013)
- Jjang! (Mnet, 2013) Ep. 20.2
- Star Date (KBS, 2013)
- Jjang! (Mnet, 2013) Ep. 4.2 &
- Miss and Mister idol Korea (2012) With Woohyun and Hoya
- Immortal Songs 2 (KBS, 2012) Ep. 56-59, 61-62
- Idol Wrestling (2012)
- King Ranking (Mnet, 2012)
- Yoo Hee Yeol’s Sketchbook (KBS, 2012)
- Shinhwa Broadcast (2012)
- Weekly Idol (Jeju Island Special) (2012)
- Gag Concert (KBS, 2012)
- 2012 Idol Athletic Championship (MBC, 2012)
- Weekly Idol (2012)
- Birth of a Family (2011-2012) With A Pink
- Weekly Idol (2011)
- 100 out of 100 (KBS, 2011) Ep. 25-28, with Dong Woo, Woohyun, Hoya, L and SungJong
- Mak Irae Show (Tooniverse, 2011)
- Directors Cut (Mnet, 2011) With Hoya and L
- Secret T (Mnet, 2011)
- Sesame Player Season 2 (Mnet, 2011)
- Gag Concert (KBS, 2011)
- Starcam Season 2 (Mnet, 2011) with Infinite
- Gag Concert (KBS, 2011)
- 2011 Idol Athletic Championship (MBC, 2011)
- Family Ties (KBS, 2010)
- You’re my oppa (Mnet, 2010)
- Days of Infinite (Mnet Japan, 2010)
- Mnet’s M-Rookies (Mnet, 2010)
- Scandal (Mnet, 2010) (With Woohyun)
- 1 vs. 100 (KBS, 2010) With Woohyun and L
- Big Star! Dance Grand Prix (KBS, 2010)
- Flower Bouquet (MBC, 2010) Ep.08, 11 and 29
- Children of the Night (MBC, 2010) Ep. 01-04
- Infinity Girls (MBC, 2010)
- Amadeus (2018) – As Mozart Amadeus
Sunggyu (INFINITE) TV Drama’s
- Ready To Go theme for A DeadbEAT’s Meal (2022)
- Beautiful subject for Oh My Baby (2020)