Suga (BTS) Facts
- K-Pop Group: BTS
- Position: Rapper and Dancer
- Apgujeong High School (Graduate)
- Global Cyber University ( Information and Entertainment Broadcasting Specialty) (Graduate)
- Hanyang Cyber University (Advertising and Communication – Master of Business Administration)
- Specialty Rap, piano, composition, and music production.
- Hobbies Basketball, photography, and electronic objects.
- Favorite colors: Black and white
- Motto: “Let’s live with fun. Doing music as a hobby and doing it as a different job.”
- Role models Lupe Fiasco, Lil Wayne, and Hit boy.
- Before becoming an idol, he said he wanted to be an architect or interior designer.
- He said that in 2006 when he was a 6th grader in high school while listening to “Fly” by Epic High he thought: “Yes, I’ll do rap too” and from then on it became his dream.
- He began acting in high school and was active on the stage. underground of hip-hop as a producer and rapper under the name “Gloss”.
- While he was renowned as a rapper, he wanted to establish himself mainly as a producer, composing beats for local artists in his hometown of Daegu, mainly for a group called “D-TOWN.” He has also commented that he sold lyrics to 10,000₩ as his family had no money to buy food, clothes or pay for his transportation. His compositions brought him high popularity producing tracks for bigger underground names, with one of his most successful songs being the song he produced for Reflow called “Who am I.”
- Wanting to take his music to the next level, Suga decided to audition for Big Hit Entertainment after seeing a flyer promoting a rap competition/audition called “Hit It”, and felt that it was a good fit for him. Although he did not win the competition, Suga ended up getting second place and joined Big Hit Entertainment as a trainee producer; but, despite this he was convinced by Big Hit’s producer to join BTS’s idol project in 2010; To this day, Suga jokes that Bang Shi Hyuk tricked him into joining the group.
- While still a trainee, he was one of the 4 BTS members (along with Jimin, Jungkook and J-Hope) who were regular dancers for GLAM’s “Glamorous” live performances, as well as for hologram artist SeeU’s theatrical performances.
- When he was in school he won several basketball games and used to play every Sunday near the Han River when he was a trainee.
- In an interview, he said he wrote most of the lyrics to the song “No More Dream” thinking of his brother.
- Produced the songs “Jump” and “Tomorrow” from his 2nd mini album “School Luv Affair”, which he wrote himself when he was a trainee.
- On December 9, 2013, he underwent emergency surgery as he had appendicitis. His agency told news portal Newsen, “SUGA underwent surgery early this morning. After his recovery, his progress will be monitored and then he will return with the other members.”
- On December 24, 2013, while recording a Christmas Bangtan Bomb, he relapsed again, this time with an infection in the area where he had surgery.
- He enjoys reading comics.
- He confessed that his older brother had played an important role in his career in music by being the only family member who had supported him when he decided to audition for Big Hit.
- On August 16, BigHit’s official channel released the MV of the album’s title track mixtape of SUGA, “Agust D’“.
- August 18, 2016, unveiled the second MV of its mixtape “Give it to me” getting more than one million visits in one day.
- He composed “Give it to me” in the first season of Bon Voyage (Bergen).
- His name as a soloist is Agust D. it means Agus= SUGA (all inversely). T= Town, D= Daegu.
- On December 22, 2016, Big Hit Entertainment posted on its Twitter that SUGA would not be participating in the year-end events as he tripped over the edge of the door in his bedroom and injured his ear.
- The single WINE from SURAN was produced by him, thus being his first production outside of BTS.
- He won his first award as a producer at the Melon Music Awards with the single “Wine” from SURAN. he is the first member of BTS to win an award outside their own group.
- 15 months after the Korean premiere of the mixtape Agust D on February 21, 2018, the mixtape was released through iTunes., reaching number 1 in 28 countries during the first week.
- On April 25, 2018, Suga is elected as a member of the Korea Copyright Association (KOMCA).
- In ep. 04 of Bon Voyage – Season 3, Suga had to return due to personal problems. He will not appear in the following episodes.
- He is ranked #67 in the “Top 100 Most Beautiful Faces of 2018” conducted by TC Candler.
- On March 16, 2020, the song “SUGA’s Interlude “which is found on Halsey’s album, was registered by the Korea Copyright Association (KOMCA) with SUGA as the composer, currently having 103 songs registered under his name.
- In a live video he made on April 25, 2020, he said that he was studying Psychology and wanted to receive a certificate in psychological counseling.
- On May 19, 2020, IU’s song “eight” with the collaboration and production of SUGA has been registered with the Korea Copyright Association (KOMCA) as the lyricist and composer of the song and now has a total of 105 songs credited to his name.
- On May 22, 2020, the official mv of the title track from his second mixtape “대취타 (Daechwita) “
- The MV of “대취타 (Daechwita) Agust D’s “Agust D” is the fastest MV to reach 2M “Likes” by a solo artist in just 2 hours, and surpassed 6 million views in 5 hours since release.
- The MV of Daechwita Agust D got more than 23.8 million views and more than 4.7 million likes in its first 24 hours of release
- On May 31, Big Hit Entertainment issued an official statement regarding the use of a controversial sample in the song “What Do You Think?” from SUGA’s (Agust D) mixtape “D-2.” The sample in question was taken from a 1977 speech delivered by Jim Jones, an American cult leader who was responsible for the mass murder-suicide in the remote commune known as “Jonestown.” Big Hit Entertainment’s statement reads as follows: “Hello, we are Big Hit Entertainment. This is our official statement on the BTS Suga mixtape issue. The vocal sample of the speech in the intro of the song “What Do You Think?” on the mixtape was selected without any special intention by the producer who worked on the track, who was unaware of the identity of the speaker and used his voice for the overall atmosphere of the song. After selecting the speech sample, the company followed our internal process and conducted procedures to review the appropriateness of the content. However, in both the selection and review processes, we made a mistake by not recognizing the inappropriateness of the content and including the sample in the song. Big Hit Entertainment has processes to review diverse content targeted to a global audience for possible social, cultural, and historical issues. However, we are experiencing the reality that there are limits to understanding and responding correctly to every “
- On June 3, 2020, it was revealed that “Daechwita” has ranked No. 76 on the Hot 100, which ranks the most popular songs in the U.S. across all genres. This is the first time Suga has appeared on the list as a solo artist, and he is now the second highest-ranking Korean artist on the Hot 100, after PSY who reached the No. 2 spot with “Gangnam Style.”
- On June 10, 2020, after having registered all the songs on the D-2 mixtape, SUGA now has 115 songs registered on the KOMCA.
- American singer MAX confirmed that Suga would collaborate on his new album released on August 18.
- On November 6, 2020, his agency shared that Suga underwent surgery on November 3 to repair the torn labrum in his shoulder. He decided to undergo surgery in preparation for his mandatory military service and further career, and the decision was made after extensive discussion with the agency. As a result of the surgery, Suga will be unable to participate in most upcoming activities, which may include promotions for BTS’s new album, “BE.”
- In the performance of “Life Goes On” at the MAMA 2020s, he appeared in hologram form through a portal before his verse kicked off. This hologram was created through a volumetric display that records a person, location, or performance in 360 degrees and then builds a 3D avatar that moves and can be viewed from all angles.
Suga (BTS) Collaborations
- JUICE WRLD – Girl of my Dreams (with SUGA from BTS) (2021)
- MAX – Blueberry Eyes (Feat. SUGA from BTS) (2020)
- IU – 에잇 (eight) (Prod. & Feat. SUGA de BTS) (2020)
- Lee So Ra – Song request (Feat. Suga de BTS) (2019)
Suga (BTS) Music
Suga (BTS) Films
- Break the Silence: The Movie Documentary
- Bring the Soul: The Movie (2019) Documentary
- Love Yourself in Seoul (2019) Documentary
- Burn the Stage: The Movie (2018) Documentary
Suga (BTS) Awards
Suga (BTS) Radio Programs
- (KBS) Sukira Kiss The Radio besides RM (11.08.13)
Suga (BTS) Music videos
- 2012: Jo Kwon – I’m Da One (cameo)