Sooyoung (Girls’ Generation) Facts
- K-Pop Group: Girls’ Generation
- Position: Rapper, Dancer and Vocalist.
- Ex-Group J-Pop: Route 0 (2002-2003)
- Jungshin Institute for Girls
- Chung-Ang University Department of Theater and Film (Graduate)
- Specialty: Jazz dance
- Languages: Korean (Mother tongue) and Japanese (Fluent), English (Pre-Intermediate)
- Hobbies: Watching movies and surfing the Internet
- Religion: Christian
- She passed an open audition by SM Entertainment seeking members for The Grace and made her debut in 2002 at the time of the Korea-Japan World Cup in a duo project called “The Grace” Route 0 “together with Malina Takahashi however, she made her official debut in 2007 with Girls’ Generation.
- During her time as a Trainee she sang the official opening of Inuyasha “I Am” in the Korean version.
- She was the fifth member to join SNSD and is the tallest in the group
- In 2012, she made her acting debut with the dorama “The 3rd Hospital” where she played Lee Ui Jin, a sick girl.
- On Sunday, August 28, 2011, while driving with her sister to a charity event at a children’s hospital, she collided with an oncoming motorist. This accident caused Sooyoung to suffer a coccyx fracture and she had to forget her schedule, unable to attend the “SMTOWN LIVE in TOKYO SPECIAL EDITION” concert and the Girls’ Generation concert in Taiwan on their 2011 tour.
- In 2013, she played Kong Min Young, a funny young woman with a great fighting spirit, in the dorama “Dating Agency Cyrano”.
- Her agency SM Entertainment confirmed regarding her relationship with the actor Jung Kyung Ho : “The two became a couple since September 2012 after having a friends relationship”.
- For her 26th birthday the fans made a challenge to reach 200,000,000 in the song Gee as a gift to her.
- She graduated from Chung-Ang University in February 2016 along with her classmate from Girls’ Generation Kwon Yu Ri and actress Park Shin Hye.
- The lyrics of the song ‘Sailing (0805)’. was originally composed in English by the composer and soloist Sophiya sooyoung then adapted it into Korean and it was officially released.
- She is an international ambassador for UNICEF along with Choi Siwon of Super Junior
- Sunny and Taeyeon sometimes she is teased for being tall. Sooyoung said she wishes she was shorter to fit on a man’s arm.
- Tiffany said that her interest in Japanese culture is thanks to Sooyoung, as she was influenced by her.
- Sooyoung’s father has an incurable eye disease called “retinitis pigmentosa,” which causes poor vision.
- October 09, 2017, SM Entertainment announced SooYoung’s departure from the agency, but her activities with the group are still under discussion: “The members also have no thoughts of disbanding at all. Simply put, there are some members’ contracts that have ended, a careful decision will be made after discussing with the girls the direction of Girls’ Generation’s future activities”.
- November 10, 2017, Echo Global Group announced the news and welcomed Soo Young to the agency. In addition, Echo Global Group said that they will support Soo Young’s activities as an actress and singer, and if conditions permit, they will also support her activities as a member of Girls’ Generation.
- December 3, 2018 Your agency, Echo Global Group, confirmed that Sooyoung will be making her debut as a solo artist, and indicated that although they currently do not have a release date at this time, they can confirm that it will be sometime this month.
- On April 30, 2019, It was reported that Sooyoung will be part of the agency SARAM Entertainment (Echo Global & SARAM reportedly have a verbal agreement and are working on the transition) SARAM stated: “Sooyoung’s contract with Echo has not ended, it is true that we are in talks but nothing has been signed yet”.
- May 06, 2019, Echo global group just released a statement on the latest IG post saying that the contract with Choi Sooyoung expired.
- On May 07, 2019, The agency Saram Entertainment officially confirmed Sooyoung as part of its artists on its website today! Sooyoung said, “I am excited to be with the kind and reliable Saram Ent. I would like to be in many projects with meaningful messages. I will work hard to be an actress who can convey those messages as well as the strength of the characters.”
Sooyoung (Girls’ Generation) Advertisement
- VIEU (2018)
- Cadillac (2017)
- SK-II (2017)
- Double M (2013)
- Tommy Hilfiger Denim (with Seohyun) (2013)
- Llang (2012)
- Dior Snow (besides Jessica, Yuri, Sunny, Hyoyeon and Tiffany) (2011)
- Biotherm (besides Tiffany and Yuri) (2010)
- Banana Milk and Post Granola Cereal (2009)
- Anycall (2004)
- Skoolooks Uniform (besides Jang Keun Suk and Yoo Ah In) (2004)
- Samsung Anycall Haptic (Chubbygang Clothing Line) (2003)
Sooyoung (Girls’ Generation) Collaborations
- James Lee – Let’s Get Away (Feat. Soo Young) (Acoustic Ver.) (2018)
- The First Memories (Neomaneul Neuggimyeon) (feat Tiffany) (May 14, 2009)
- Choi Soo Young – Winter Breath (2018)
- Girls’ Generation – Sailing (2016)
- Tiffany – What Do I Do (2016)
- Girls’ Generation – Baby Maybe (together with Yuri, Seo Hyun ) (2013)
- Girls’ Generation – How Great is Your Love (2011)
Sooyoung (Girls’ Generation) Drama
- Move To Heaven (Netflix, 2021)
- So I Married An Anti-Fan (iQiyi, 2021)
- Run On (jTBC, 2020-2021)
- Tell Me What You Saw (OCN, 2020)
- Man in the Kitchen (MBC, 2017).
- A Person You Could Know (jTBC/Naver TV, 2017)
- 38 Task Force (OCN, 2016)
- Perfect Sense (KBS2TV, 2016)
- My Spring Day (MBC, 2014)
- Dating Agency; Cyrano (tvN 2013)
- The 3rd Hospital (tvN, 2012)
- A Gentleman’s Dignity (SBS, 2012) Cameo
- Sazae-san 3 (Fuji TV, 2011) Cameo
- Paradise Ranch (SBS, 2011) Cameo
- Oh! My Lady (SBS, 2010) Cameo
- Unstoppable Marriage (KBS, 2007)
Sooyoung (Girls’ Generation) Films
- New Year Blues (2020)
- Memories of a Dead End (2019)
- A Little Princess (2019)
- Girl Cops (2019)
- The Poem, My Old Mother (2019) Narrator
- I AM (2012)
- Hello Schoolgirl (2008)
Sooyoung (Girls’ Generation) Radio Programs
- Reckless Radio (2007-2008)
- M.Net Hello Chat! (2005)
Sooyoung (Girls’ Generation) TV Programs
- Running Man (SBS, 2018) Ep.431-432
- Born 1990 Choi Sooyoung (Dingo Studio, 2018).
- Style to follow (SBS, 2017)
- Saturday Night Live Korea 9 (S9 Ep1, 2017)
- Golden tambourine (Ep 2, 2016)
- Mickey Mouse Club (2015, in conjunction with YoonA).
- 2015 Korea Drama Awards (2015)
- Shin Dongyup’s (SBS,2010.03.14, Ep. 300)
- Midnight TV Entertainment (SBS, 2012-2014)
- Shinhwa Broadcast (Ep 47/48, 2013)
- Discovery of Trends (2013.02.01)
- Quiz on Korea (KBS1, 2012)
- Dalgona (2011.09.12, Ep. 17, next to Hyoyeon & Yuri)
- We Got Married Season 2 (Ep 45, 52, 69, 2010)
- Invincible Youth (Ep 22/23, 2010)
- Night Star (Ep. 3, together with Sunny, Hyo Yeon & Jessica (2010.06.06))
- Introducing A Star’s Friend (2009.02.07)
- Hello Baby! (KBS Joy, 2009)
- We Got Married (MBC, 2009)
- Fantastic Duo’ (with Kim Jae Dong) (MBC, 2009)
- Girls’ Generation’s Factory Girl (Mnet, 2008)
- Girls Generation (MTV, 2007)
- Girls Goes to School (Mnet, 2007)
- 2019 15th Jecheon International Music & Film Festival: Discovery of the Year (Memories of a Dead End)
- 2017 Instagram Korea Awards: Accounts with the most-watched Instagram Stories
- 2015 8th Korea Drama Awards: Award for Excellence in Actresses (My Spring Day)
- 2014 MBC Drama Awards: Excellence Award, Actress in a Miniseries (My Spring Day)
- 2013 6th Style Icon Awards: Best K-Style Award
- 2013 SBS Entertainment Awards: New Rookie Award (MC Category)
- I Am (Korean Ver.) theme for Inuyasha (2005)
Sooyoung (Girls’ Generation) TV Drama’s
- Wind Flower theme for My Spring Day (2014)
- Please! (next to Yuri ) theme for Working Mom (2008)
Sooyoung (Girls’ Generation) Music Videos
- Tiffany Young – Teach You (2018)