Seungri (BIGBANG) Facts
- Ex-Kpop Group BIGBANG (2006-2019)
- Position: Vocalist, Dancer and Maknae.
- Training period 10 months.
- Chungam Elementary School
- Chunghok Junior School
- Sungshin Technical High School
- Chungang University Department of Drama (Dropped out)
- International Cyber University Leisure Sports Department
- Specialties: Singing, Dancing
- Debut: BIG BANG on September 23, 2006.
- Hobbies: Languages
- Musicians you admire: Justin Timberlake, Omarion.
- He auditioned at YG Entertainment as a dancer, however he had training as a singer.
- Although he almost missed the opportunity on the group’s survival show, “BIGBANG Documentary,” he finally managed to persuade Yang Hyun Suk that he was ready for his debut.
- After passing the university entrance exams, Seung Ri was accepted into Chung-Ang University and will begin his university studies in the spring of 2010, together with Kwon Yu Ri from Girls’ Generation
- In 2012, he dropped out of Chung-Ang University after being placed on academic probation several times due to his demanding schedule with BIG BANG. After dropping out of Chung-Ang University, he decided to continue his studies by enrolling in Gukje Digital University so that he could take online classes and participate in their programs at the same time.
- In 2011 it was revealed that he opened several schools in Korea, titled “Seung Ri Academy,” although the actual name is Joy Dance – Plug In Music Academy. The academies provided training in singing and dancing and contained a roster of several students who subsequently gained success by debuting as Jin Woo from WINNER, J-Hope from BTS, Hyuk from VIXX and Mi Joo from LOVELYZ however, some time later he had to close the academy because of internal problems due to a relationship between a teacher and a student “I closed it because there were some problems. One of the teachers became romantically involved with one of the students. I got a call from the parents complaining that their daughter wasn’t coming home. What was I going to do. Honestly, I wasn’t directly running the academy, so I closed it to prevent a huge misunderstanding from occurring.”.
- On June 19, 2012, Seung Ri, together with his partner Dae Sung appeared on the popular Tokyo radio program “All Night Nippon”, in a special edition called “All Night Nippon”. Big Bang All Night Nippon “This is the first time a Korean group has appeared on the popular radio program with a 45-year history.
- During August 2012, Seung Ri was chosen to host the Japanese TV show “V.I. FROM BIGBANG”, a variety show portraying Seung Ri’s own construction of the show. The official name of the show might change after fans propose another name. Seung Ri also appeared as a special host of Fuji TV’s music show, “Sakagake! Music Rankming EIGHT”, interviewing Japanese stars and making appearances as a special host.
- On August 15, 2012, while they were being transported to Dae Sung and Seung Ri during their promotions, the van was broken into while parked outside their hotel in Tokyo, the members’ belongings were missing, including the backpack containing passports and money from Dae Sung local media suspected that the hateful anti-Hallyu sentiment in Japan was responsible for the incident as the incident happened coincidentally on the morning of August 15, Korea’s Independence Day, which is also the anniversary of Japan’s surrender in World War II, and many Japanese fans were asking TV stations to refrain from airing Korean-related programs.
- On September 13, 2012 he was involved in a fierce controversy after a Japanese weekly magazine called “Friday”, published alleged photos of Seung Ri half-naked in a bed, along with an exclusive interview with a Japanese woman who claims to have had a one-night sexual encounter with him. The photos quickly spread on the Internet, with netizens and the press sharing the story through SNS channels. While there was no official statement from YG Entertainment, many questioned the validity of the photos based on the awkward position of the person’s face and neck in the photo, as well as the variation in skin color. They also found a photo of a man who is strikingly similar to Seung Ri, arguing that the Japanese magazine may have adjusted the photo to create the controversial ones.
- On August 27, 2013, Seung Ri spoke on SBS program “Hwashin” about the scandal “When the scandal came out, my ex-girlfriend wrote to me, “you’re not like that. “A scandal like that is not very common for idols. The magazine I appeared in is a very famous magazine, only very famous people get to appear in there. The truth, I knew a week before the article was published”.” This caused a stir among Internet users as he did not look embarrassed and did not deny the news during the program.
- On September 18, 2012, Taiwanese media outlet “Apple Daily” published photos and a video of Seung Ri being kissed on the cheek by Japanese model and actress Anna Kubo while they were in Hong Kong for their Japanese drama: “The Files of Young Kindachi: Hong Kong Kowloon Treasure Murder Case”.. the media that brought the story to light used the evidence as an alleged secret affair with the actress.
- YG Entertainment released an official statement on the love scandal saying “Recent reports of a scandal between Seung Ri and Anna Kubo are completely false. Nothing concerning a scandal has occurred.”.
- During June 2013, he had problems about a fake Facebook account under his name. On his Twitter on June 21, Seung Ri posted a photo along with the message, “I don’t use Facebook. this ID is fake, and this imposter is pretending to be me and contacting my close friends and fans. please don’t fall for it.” shortly thereafter, on June 26, Seung Ri announced via his Twitter account that he was opening his official Facebook account “@ForvictoRi Facebook starts ^^ I’m planning to post everything in Korean here. please show interest and support.”.
- For his second solo mini album in 2013 he acknowledged via Facebook that he suffered from several problems with his mental attitude regarding his career and how the CEO of his agency gave him encouragement to continue “I lost my confidence in music, I was discouraged by the great talent of the other members of my group and thought of wanting to pursue a different career that was not music. one year ago after finishing my activities in Japan, I came back to Korea and the head of YG, president Yang Hyun Suk proposed a meeting. in that room on the seventh floor, we had a conversation that would instantly reverse my wrong mental attitude. he welcomed me when I was nobody and so I joined YG and joined the group called BIG BANG, treating me sometimes as president of the agency or other times as a teacher, he made me a proper person. he had high expectations for my music.” he said Yang Hyun Suk asked the young boy who “loves to walk around and enjoys having fun with his friends, to put that energy into my music”.
- On August 14, he talked about how personal one of his songs, called “GG BE ” via its Facebook page “This song is completely about me. Women are not the only ones who are cheated on and hurt by men, men are also cheated on and hurt by women these days. The girl I was dating lied every time he opened his mouth, it was a big shock to me. That made us tired and cold to each other. I knew he was waiting for me to end the relationship ,which made me feel more anger and bitterness. I put the pain and anger I got from his into this song.” seung Ri added “The piano intro gives off a feeling of desperation and anger. Also, since I needed a counterpart to the male point of view, I requested YG’s secret weapon, Jennie Kim I’ll tell this to the girl from last time. Everything you do will come back to you. Listen carefully to this song and come to your senses”..
- During 2013, his album “Let’s Talk About Love ” found itself for three consecutive weeks in the Top 10 of the “Billboard World Albums” chart. Its first entry placed second to “Coup D’Etat” and then at #8 for two weeks.
- On September 27, 2013, Seung Ri joined Japan’s Fuji TV channel’s “Popular Women 100” as a co-host along with comedian Hiroshi Yamazaki. Seung Ri’s participation is notable as previously international artists only participated in the entertainment industry in Japan through the music and performances they make, but this is the first time a foreign celebrity has regularly hosted a variety show.
- He made it to #1 on the Oricon daily charts with his debut solo album in Japan, “Let’s Talk About Love” on the same day of its release. Seung Ri was directly responsible for the production of this album making it a number one hit on the Oricon charts, as well as containing Seung Ri’s first Japanese original song “Thoughts I Draw In The Sky” composed by himself, which was chosen as the theme song for UULA’s original drama “Yubi Koi”.
- On December 23, 2013 at 11pm after an appearance at an event in Shanghai, China he was involved in a car accident after being chased by a sasaeng fan. Behind his van was his team’s van, and behind them, there was a fan following Seung Ri. The fan hit the team’s vehicle, and as a result, the team’s van ended up colliding with Seung Ri’s vehicle.
- YG Entertainment offered an official statement saying “Yesterday Seung Ri was involved in a traffic accident in China. A fan chasing him hit the team van, and as a result, Seung Ri’s van, which was right in front, was hit. Fortunately, the accident was nothing serious and he suffered no injuries. After the incident, we contacted the Chinese police, and asked them what action we should take. We asked them to treat the fan with leniency.” seung Ri was able to continue with his agenda at ease.
- On September 12, 2014 at around 3:34 am KST, he was involved in a car accident when he crashed his car into a crash barrier. The porch he was driving collided with a Mercedes Benz before hitting the crash barrier and overturning. The two people in the Mercedes Benz sustained minor injuries and were transported to a nearby hospital. After the collision, Seung Ri underwent a sobriety test administered by the police which came back negative. As he was not injured, he got out of the ambulance and left with his manager at home, who had been following Seung Ri in another car, according to a representative of YG “It seems that Seung Ri is in shock at the time and he was more focused on finding out the departure time of his flight. However, he was sent back to the hospital after complaining of abdominal pain.”
- On the same day, a representative of YG Entertainment told Star News that after the car accident, Seung Ri went to the hospital and received several check-ups. “He had X-rays, which showed no broken bones. His CT scan showed mild liver hemorrhage, but doctors said that after a week of simple treatment, he would recover well. In case of any side effects, Seung Ri would stay in the hospital for a week.” because of this, Seung Ri will not join the rest of the BIG BANG members in Singapore, who are heading there for the YG Family Tour concerts on September 13 and 14, so BIG BANG will only perform as four “I am sorry to the rest of the members, to the staff and to the fans because I could not attend the concert.” the singer declared to the media.
- Although no internal injuries were reportedly found at first, according to a representative of YG Entertainment, further medical tests were conducted to ensure his health, but unfortunately some bleeding was found in his liver. “Seung Ri is receiving treatment at a hospital in Seoul now and he is focused on fully recovering and being healthy. His situation is not very serious so he does not need surgery. He underwent several tests at the hospital to rule out all possible injuries and harmful side effects. He still needs treatment but is in a stable condition. He seemed to be unharmed at first, but to be sure that there is nothing serious, he underwent several tests and was able to discover his precise condition. It seems that he will be healthy enough to be sent home after a few days and will continue to receive outpatient treatment”.
- He was released from the hospital 13 days after being involved in the car accident.
- A police investigation was launched regarding the accident as Seung Ri was apparently driving extremely fast while changing lanes, colliding with another car. Both YG and the police have denied that he was driving under the influence of alcohol. He was later cited by the police as a suspect in the investigation of the car accident. According to the analysis of the black box (dashcam) installed in his car, it was found that Seung Ri had been speeding, which resulted in the accident. According to the traffic authority, Seung Ri’s Porsche was traveling at a speed between 100 and 110 kilometers per hour on an 80 kilometers per hour road. The police notified the legal staff of his agency, YG Entertainment, about Seung Ri’s summons immediately after receiving the results of the black box analysis. As the car accident was found to have been caused by speeding, if the other driver was found to have been speeding, the other driver would have to be charged.
- YG Entertainment stated on September 30, 2014, that after being released from the hospital the previous week, Seung Ri had to return as he had a fever of 40 degrees. A representative of YG added that Seung Ri will not attend the closing ceremony of the 2014 Incheon Asian Games. The other four members of BIG BANG will perform at the closing ceremony as scheduled.
- He is CEO of NATURAL HIGH RECORD where he has admitted many DJs.
- On March 8, 2018, it has been confirmed that Seung Ri will appear as a guest on Radio Star of MBC together with other members of the group BATHTUB ONE in ep.560 on March 21, 2018.
- YG Entertainment confirms that Seung Ri will enlist for military service after he releases his solo album. Seung Ri wanted to enlist at the same time as the other members (G-Dragon, Tae Yang, Dae Sung ) but he has promotions for his movie in China LOVE ONLY, so he couldn’t make it. Seung Ri will be the last one to enlist probably in the 2nd half of 2018.
- June 4, 2018, Yang Hyun Suk has revealed via his Instagram that Seung Ri will be the CEO of the company’s new subsidiary, YGX yGX was announced as a company that will join Seung Ri’s brand NHR and will also be in charge of the YGX Academy dance academy.
- On February 26, 2019, the news agency reported that they found evidence that in 2015 Seung Ri used clubs in the Gangnam district as a place to pressure investors by offering them escort services of a sexual nature. Later YG Entertainment released an official statement denying these facts and stating that the text messages used as evidence were fabricated. Likewise the Seoul Police Department launched an investigation into Seung Ri regarding these facts. On February 27, Seung Ri underwent more than eight hours of interrogation.
- On March 8, 2019, a YG representative confirmed that Seung Ri would enlist as an active duty soldier on March 25.They continued “It is true that Seung Ri applied for the conscripted police selection exam at the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency on Jan. 7. However, in order not to create misunderstandings, even if he passes the first round, he will withdraw from the selection and enlist as an active duty soldier.”.
- On March 10, a new report from the news channel SBS he was published alleging that the chat involving Seung Ri and other male singers shared illegal hidden camera footage.
- On March 11, 2019 in the wake of all the controversies, Seung Ri released a statement on Instagram announcing his retirement from the entertainment industry
- On March 13, 2019 YG Entertainment made an official statement terminating the exclusive contract it held with the artist, the statement reads. “Hello, this is YG Entertainment. Starting with the club assault case involving Seung Ri, various suspicions and controversies have continuously arisen. We bow our heads and express deep apologies for causing trouble to many people, including fans. On March 12, following the announcement of Seung Ri’s retirement, YG accepted Seung Ri’s request and decided to terminate his exclusive contract. YG recognizes that, as a management company, we were unable to manage thoroughly and are reflecting deeply. Finally, YG realizes the need for extensive reform and is committed to do our best to achieve this together with all our staff.”.
- On March 18, 2019, Seung Ri submitted the official request to the Seoul Regional Military Regional Personnel Administration to postpone his military enlistment in order to undergo investigations relevant to his case. On March 20, his postponement was confirmed. The status of his enlistment will be decided again on June 25.
- On June 25, 2019, the Metropolitan/Provincial Special Detective Division of the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency revealed that Seung Ri was referred to the Prosecution on charges of prostitution and prostitution mediation, embezzlement of Burning Sun funds, embezzlement of attorney fees, destruction of evidence, violation of the Special Cases in Punishment Act, etc. of Sexual Offenses, and violation of the Food Sanitation Act. However, he was referred to the Prosecution with a recommendation of non-indictment in connection with suspicions of prostitution mediation at his birthday party in Palawan in December 2017.
- He began his compulsory military service on March 9, 2020, and after delaying his service in order to attend court to testify as part of the investigation being conducted by the Korean Prosecutor’s Office, he was due to complete his military service in September 2021.
- Upon entering military service his case was transferred from the Korean National Prosecutor’s Office to the Korean Military Court.
- On August 12, 2021, the Korean Military Court concluded that Seung Ri was guilty on nine counts: violation of the Aggravated Punishment Act, Specific Economic Crimes, violation of the Food Hygiene Act, embezzlement, violation of the Special Punishment Cases and Sex Crimes Act, habitual gambling (betting), violation of the Exchange Transactions Act, mediation of prostitution, purchase of prostitution services and special instigation of violence; and was sentenced to three years imprisonment also with a fine of 1,156,900,000 won (approximately $ 994,544). In addition, his personal information will be entered into the national registry for violation of the Act on Special Cases of Punishment and Sexual Offenses. Although he was originally scheduled to complete his military service in mid-September, his military service was terminated due to his sentence and he was placed under arrest.
About Seung Ri
Before joining the group, he was a member and leader of the II Hwa dance group in Gwangju. His first television appearance was on Let’s Cokeplay: M.Net Battle Shinhwa, a show in which Shinhwa attempted to create a group of boys who could be the “second Shinhwa.” Although he realized his dancing skills, his lack of vocal skills at the time led to his elimination. He was later discovered by the record company YG Entertainment and joined the group BIGBANG although he was initially eliminated on the ninth episode of the group’s documentary series, he was given another chance to impress Yang Hyun Suk CEO of YG Entertainment and succeeded in becoming a member of BIGBANG.
Seungri (BIGBANG) Advertisement
- Electrolux School
- SK Telecom’s “T”
- Baskin Robbins 31
Seungri (BIGBANG) Collaborations
- May J. – I Believe (Japanese ver.) feat. V.I (from BIGBANG)) (2013)
- EXILE – We Run Dis [[[PKCZ]] feat. V.I (from BIGBANG)]] (2016)
- K-391 – Ignite feat Alan Walker, Julie Bergan & SeungRi (2018).
Seungri (BIGBANG) Drama
- YG Future Strategy Office (Netflix, 2018).
- High and Low – The Story of S.W.O.R.D 2 (NTV, 2016)
- Angel Eyes (SBS, 2014)
- Kindaichi Shonen no Jikenbo Hong Kong (NTV, 2013)
- Lights and Shadows (MBC, 2011) cameo
- Haru: An Unforgettable Day in Korea (CGV, 2010)
- 19-Nineteen (SBS, 2010)
Seungri (BIGBANG) Musicals
- 2009: Shouting
- 2008: Sonagi
Seungri (BIGBANG) Films
- Love in Universe (2018)
- High & Low: The Movie (2016)
- Why Did You Come to My House? (2008)
Seungri (BIGBANG) Awards
Seungri (BIGBANG) TV Programs
- Running Man (SBS, 2019) Chapter 435.
- Running Man (SBS, 2019) Chapter 416-417.
- Idol Room (jTBC, 2018) (Ep. 33) Together with BATHTUB ONE and (G)I-DLE
- King of Mask Singer (MBC, 2018) (Ep. 163-164).
- Idol Room (jTBC, 2018) (Ep. 12)
- Radio Star (2018) (Ep. 560)
- I Live Alone (2018) (Ep. 236)
- MIXNINE (2017) (Ep. 2-3)
- Running Man (SBS, 2012) (Ep. 84-85)
- Sunday Sunday Night (MBC, 2010)
- Show! Music Center (MBC, 2008)
- Seung Ri 1st Solo Tour “The Great Seung Ri” 2018
- 04 and 05 August – Seoul, South Korea – Jangchung Grammar School
- august 11 and 12 – Chiba, Japan – Makuhari Fair Exhibition Hall 1-3
- 05 and 06 September – Fukuoka, Japan – Fukuoka Convention Center
- september 19 and 20 – Osaka, Japan – Osaka Jo Hall