Seo Taiji (Seo Taiji and Boys) Facts
- Ex-K-Pop Group: Seo Taiji and Boys (1992 – 1996)
- Favorite food: Pork ribs
- He is considered the creator of K-pop (since thanks to him, music in South Korea began to emerge).
- He collects toy cars of all kinds and likes to assemble model toy airplanes.
- His life has always been surrounded by mysticism, much is unknown about him, and as he appears, so does he leave.
- He is said to have the soul and aura of a 20-year-old teenager because he doesn’t seem to age, looking almost the same as he did when he was 20 years old.
- He gave his first job to Ricky from TEEN TOP in your video Human Dream.
- He likes flavored ice pops.
- His favorite music is hip hop and metal.
- Among his best friends is his former band mate and founder and owner of the YG Entertainment, Yang Hyun Suk and TOP guitarist of his band.
- A plastic surgeon conducted a study of Seo Taiji’s old and recent photos and concluded that his face has not had any surgery, which is why his fans call him an alien, vampire, etc., because he seems not to age, keeping the same face since his debut.
- He is the organizer of ETP Fest or ETP, where rock, metal and related bands from all over the world perform in Seoul.
- In 2009, it launched a campaign called A Difference in Temperature That Changes the World the aim of the project is to protect polar bears.
- His great admirers include actors, singers and models such as Kim Hyun Joong and Heo Young Saeng of SS501, SE7EN and Rain, Eun Hyuk and Lee Teuk from Super Junior, Kahi and BIGBANG, Ricky from TEEN TOP suga of BTS among others.
- Their fans called themselves T-mania
- After the disintegration of Seo Taiji and Boys on July 7, 1998, Taiji releases his first solo album from the U.S. (considered by fans as his 5th album), but he is not seen by cameras or any visual media, no tours, no performances, etc.
- During the promotion of his 6th album, he filmed the video for the Internet, War in the street (Seo Charisma: the part where he is dressed in green with a cap of the same color where he plays with his fingers while walking), he is there accompanied by his band members and surrounded by bodyguards, according to those present, they say that a fan shouted “Taiji, please shake my hand” of course the bodyguards immediately stopped his and covered Taiji with more protection, then the fan stood there and started to cry, suddenly he looked up and saw how a hand came out from between the bodies of the bodyguards, it was Taiji’s hand, so Taiji himself secretly gave his hand to the fan, he shook his hand and so they walked a few steps together.
- This other anecdote also happened during the promotion of their 6th album (Ultramania), it happens that in that season it was their comeback to the Korean stages after more than 5 years, and people were so excited about it that from very early in the morning they lined up outside.
- We know that many concerts get rained out but, they say that on this occasion, the rain was almost torrential, the fans were outside all soaked and in the rain. Taiji was so worried about his fans that he couldn’t even make a tryout for the concert, he was running around, seeing what to do, it wasn’t even time for the concert to start and they were already getting wet. So he called the partners and insisted that they borrow the nearest building to provide shelter for his fans. The partners said it wasn’t necessary but still they couldn’t get him to give up.
- On June 26, 2013, he married the actress Lee Eun Sung who is 16 years younger than him.
- In November 2013, he held discussions with World Land Trust and REGUA on the condition of the forests and their restoration plans
- On August 27, 2014, his baby was born in Korea.
- In 2015 I built a forest called Seo Taiji Mania Forest as part of the project Be the Green Project the following December, Seo Taiji Company sent representatives to Brazil to choose the location where it would be built.
- He stated that he and his wife are fans of IU became close after working together.
- Participated on Happy Together where he talked about his wife, his daughter, his music and other things (Video)
About Seo Taiji
Seo Taiji (Jeong Hyeon-cheol) is a South Korean musician and composer and one of the best-known artists in all of Korea. His fame is so great that he has been compared to that of Michael Jackson he is even considered the king and creator of K-Pop, the father of Korean Nu-metal and a contributor to the creation of Heavy Metal in South Korea. He is a true living legend of South Korean music.
At a very young age, Hyeon Cheol decided to drop out of school and become a professional musician. The reasons for his decision were written about in the song Gyosil Idea (Class Idea) from Seo Taiji and Boys where he expressed his thoughts on the corruption suffered by young people in the Korean education system.
Seo Taiji (Seo Taiji and Boys) Career
1991:Beginnings with Sinawe
After several years of experience playing in several rock bands, at the age of 17 he was presented with the great opportunity to join the famous metal band Sinawe unfortunately, it broke up only a year after he joined her.
1992-1996: Seo Taiji and Boys
He decided to form a new group called Seo Taiji and Boys , the band had a great influence on the popular music of Korea by introducing urban and hip hop influences as a novelty in the musical current of the time. As time went by they included traditional Korean sounds, hard rock, or metal, an element that would become almost the most important hallmark during his solo career.
After releasing four albums, Seo Taiji and Boys disbanded in 1996, just at the height of its fame. According to an interview with Seo Taiji apparently they made this decision because they thought the best option was to split up when their image had reached the top, rather than wait for the group to lose fame. This also occurred in the midst of rumors of drug abuse, so that Seo Taiji disappeared from the scene for two years to retire to New York, where he worked on a new project for his comeback.
1998:Solo career and his great comeback
In 1998, Seo Taiji made a triumphant return to the Korean music scene, producing and financing his debut album.
Although it was not a big hit in his home country, it put him on the road to fame and thanks to that album he continued to develop his particular musical style of western rock combined with Korean vocals.
2000: Release of his second album “Ultramania”.
His big break came in the year 2000 with the release of a new album Ultramania with a new band and a completely new sound.
The album was received in front of a large audience and along with the media reaction, he made his way into popular music in Korea. This also led to his first tour since 1996 and thanks to his increased fame, he was able to return to Korea for good, where he was offered to play in the World Peace Music Festival in October and December of the same year. In addition, the NHK of Japan showed a documentary based on his life and career.
Over the next few years his success continued to grow both in Korea and in other parts of Asia. In August 2001 he was asked to play at the Summer Sonic Festival this continued success led him to open his own official website in October, and since then he has continued to play at festivals in Korea, Japan and Russia, and in 2004, he performed at a concert in Tokyo, where the crowd received him with very positive reactions. Live Wire with Fear Factory , Grain and their Korean partners In.
2004: Third album “7th Issue”.
Seo Taiji kept their Nu metal sounds on their third album, 7th Issue however, in contrast to Ultramania , 7th Issue was recorded in such a way that the album felt like a single long song. Despite this, it had no problem attracting a large number of people.
The rhythm used made his fans qualify it as “punk rock”. His song “Live Wire” was a success, surpassing “Ultramania”. “Robot.” is about youth and anguish, while the song “F.M.Business” he criticizes the commercial music scene and the exploitation of artists by record companies. He also touches on the issue of abortion and sexual discrimination and abuse in “Victim” sales dropped to half a million due to music download portals, but it was still the best-selling album in South Korea in 2004.
Taiji thus proved that its peak popularity lasted more than a decade.
2007: Celebration of his 15 years of career
In 2007, Seo Taiji celebrated 15 years in the music industry with the album SEOTAIJI 15TH ANNIVERSARY and SEO TAI JI 15th Anniversary Zone the event was so successful, it had to be extended by six days to meet the demand. The response was incredibly good, especially considering that album sales had declined several years earlier. Fans were ecstatic about their comeback and by November 3, 2007, shortly after the album was available for pre-sale, it had already sold out both online and in stores. 15,000 copies were sold in the first minute.
2008-2009: “8th Atomos”.
In 2008 he released the single 8th Atomos Part Moai reinventing his sound to introduce an experimental style where much importance was given to the sounds of nature. In that same year, he performed at the ETPFEST together with bands like Marily Manson ythe Used or their Korean partners PIA and organized a symphonic concert called The Great Seotaiji Symphony together with Tolga Kashif with the help of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra london, where they played both current and earlier songs from his solo career, combining rock with classical music.
Later in 2009, a CD+DVD of this concert was presented, called The GREAT Seo Taiji Symphony.
In 2009 he released what would become a second single, 8th Atomos Part Secret and months later a new album called 8th Atomos.
That year he was also part of the ETPFEST where he performed with bands such as Keane and Limp Bizkit and toured throughout the country under the name of The Möbius.
2014-2015: “Quiet Night”.
After mysteriously disappearing from the music scene for several years, he made his comeback in October 2014 with the new album Quiet Night In this one, he also worked together with the Korean singer IU in which they both made their own version of the song Sogyeokdong written by Seo Taiji the vocalist confessed in an interview that when he was looking for a female voice to collaborate with, he finally chose his because his wife is a big fan of the singer. Months later he participated in the MAMA where he performed the songs Christmalo.win, Sogyeokdong (next to IU ) and Come Back Home for which he chose Zico as a contributor.
2017: Celebration for his 25 years of Debut with Seo Taiji and Boys “TIME: TRAVELLER”.
In April 2017, it was announced that Seo Taiji was bringing together a group of modern K-Pop bands to cover their songs from the past to celebrate the 25th anniversary of their debut with Seo Taiji and Boys first, the participation of the remakes of the remakes of the remakes of BTS, Urban Zakapa, Younha and Loopy & Nafla.
The first single of this project, was the remake of Come Back Home recorded by BTS was released with a music video on July 5, 2017. Notably, Billboard announced that the week of July 22 the song has entered the second place on the worldwide digital song sales chart.
Seo Taiji (Seo Taiji and Boys) Collaborations
- 1998.04.06: Yang Hyun Suk – YANG HYUN SUK (#3 AmudoAnmideo (feat. Seo Taiji))
Seo Taiji (Seo Taiji and Boys) Awards