Rap Monster (BTS) Facts
- K-Pop Group: BTS
- Position: Leader, Rapper and Dancer.
- Apguyeong High School
- Global Cyber University ( Information and Entertainment Broadcasting Specialty) (Graduate)
- Hanyang Cyber University (Advertising and Communication – Master of Business Administration)
- Languages: Korean (native language), English (fluent), and Japanese (intermediate).
- Hobbies: Surfing the Internet, listening to music, and composing.
- Favorite colors Black, white and purple.
- Religion: Atheist
- RM fell in love with rap after listening to “Fly” by Epic High he began rapping on his own and started a career as an underground rapper under the name “Runch Randa” in 2007 when he was in high school.
- There was a rap team called “Daenamhyup”, which consisted of some of the best rappers in the world. underground members included Iron (Show Me The Money 3 finalist), Supreme Boi (producer of Big Hit Entertainment), and Kidoh he also worked with Zico from Block B when Zico was known as Nacseo.
- With his reputation growing, RM was invited to an audition for an underground hip-hop agency, where he met Untouchable’s Sleepy, who was a judge at the audition. Sleepy was so impressed by his rapping skills that he saved his phone number and passed it on to Big Hit Bang producer Shi Hyuk. Through the introduction, RM ended up auditioning for Big Hit Entertainment and became the first BTS member to join the company in 2010.
- He studied in New Zealand.
- He taught himself English by watching the famous TV series FRIENDS.
- In 2011 he composed a song in which in the final part he shouted Rap Monster from that moment on, the members of the company began to call him that way and that is how his old stage name was born.
- To join the group, dancing was not one of the requirements at the beginning, then the company told him he had to learn. At first, it was very difficult, exhausting, and stressful for him. J-Hope and his dance teachers supported and motivated him.
- He has an IQ (Intelligence Quotient) of 148.
- He was in the top 1.3% (of good grades) of South Korea in the subjects: math, English, Korean and social studies.
- He posted on SoundCloud a cover of his own song “Converse High” but changed the lettering in the others’ part.
- Participated in the ‘All Force One’ concert on Sept. 20, 2015. J-Hope and Suga to join him on a couple of songs.
- Published with Jung Kook the song “I Know” as a gift to fans for BTS’s 3rd anniversary.
- On August 30, 2015, the single was released “Dilemma” by the duo Male this single was co-produced by RM, together with Bang Shi Hyuk.
- He almost got an injury known as a ‘stress fracture’ thanks to overexertion of his legs from practicing choreographies for his latest 2016 comeback ‘WINGS’, fortunately, he alerted the company in time and the doctor told him that he would only need rest and therapeutic exercises to recover.
- In July 2016, two books were published called HipHopHada the American hip hop magazine XXL, which consists of the self-written life stories of 42 hip hop artists, including RM, put together a list of the ten rappers whose stories they thought their readers would visit, among which they included RM.
- Due to a leg injury, he was unable to perform with the group at KPOP Changwon Festival 2016, but he was able to perform his role as MC.
- He has a pet dog named RapMon.
- In January 2017, he released a single titled “Always, on BTS’s Soundcloud account.
- Together with the American rapper, Wale collaborated together to launch “Change” March 19, 2017.
- On November 13, 2017, Nam Joon shared on the official fan cafe account that his stage name would no longer be Rap Monster but RM the decision was due to the length of the name and the determination that Rap Monster was no longer representative of who he was or the music he created.
- BigHit announced on its official Twitter account that RM had an operation on February 4, 2018, to correct his septum which was deviated. This caused difficulty in breathing. The staff has said that everything went well, he was discharged and will take a rest.
- He took it upon himself to compose the song ‘Singularity’ sometime after his operation.
- On October 23, RM released its second mixtape called “Mono” which, shortly after being released, topped the iTunes top album charts in 88 countries and regions internationally. RM’s achievement marks a new record for Korean artists with the most number 1’s on the iTunes top album charts worldwide. RM managed to break its own group’s record.
- On September 24, 2018, he delivered an emotional speech at the UN assembly.
- He is ranked #79 in the “Top 100 Most Beautiful Faces of 2018” conducted by TC Candler.
- The British magazine “LYST” named him the second most influential man in fashion in 2020, only behind Harry Styles.
- Together with Harry Styles and Beyonce, they form the trio “Power Dresser”, named after the famous magazine “LYTS”.
- In the tracklist of the new album by TXT it was revealed that RM was part of the composition of one of the songs titled “0X1 = LOVESONG (I Know I Love You)”.
- On December 25, his agency confirmed that he tested positive for COVID-19 as did his partner, Jin the agency stated “BTS members RM and Jin were diagnosed with COVID-19 on Saturday night, December 25. After returning on Friday, December 17 from the United States following his personal schedule as part of his official vacation period, RM immediately underwent a PCR test, tested negative, and went into self-quarantine at home as per COVID-19 control procedures. However, he underwent a PCR test today before the end of the quarantine and tested positive for COVID-19; he is currently showing no particular symptoms. RM and Jin completed their second round of COVID-19 vaccinations at the end of August and are currently self-treating at home according to health authority guidelines. None of the members had contact with other members after their return to Korea. Our company will continue to provide support for RM and Jin’s speedy recovery, placing our highest priority on the health and safety of our artists.
Rap Monster (BTS) Collaborations
- eAeon – Don’t (Feat. RM) (2021)
- Agust D (SUGA) – Strange (Feat. RM) (2020)
- Younha – Winter Flower (Feat. RM) (2020)
- HONNE – Crying Over You ◐ (feat. RM & BEKA) (2019).
- Drunken Tiger – Timeless (Feat. RM de BTS ) (2018)
- Fall Out Boy – Champion (Feat. RM) (2017).
- Gaeko – Gajah (Feat. RM) (2017)
- Wale – Change (Feat. RM) (2017)
- MFBTY – 부끄부끄 (Feat. EE, RM, Dino-J) (2015).
- Yankie – ProMeTheUs (Feat. Dok2 juvie Train, Double k, RM, TopBob, Don Mills) (2015)
- Primary – You (Feat Kwon Jin Ah, RM) (2015)
- 8Eight – Bad Girl (feat GLAM, RM and Iron ) (2011)
- Lim Jeong Hee – Re (Feat. Jung Hun Chul, Iron and RM) (2010)
Rap Monster (BTS) Music
Rap Monster (BTS) Films
- Break the Silence: The Movie Documentary
- Bring the Soul: The Movie (2019) Documentary
- Love Yourself in Seoul (2019) Documentary
- Burn the Stage: The Movie (2018) Documentary
Rap Monster (BTS) Radio Programs
- Two O’Clock Escape Cultwo Show (SBS, 25.02.2014) Next to N from VIXX and Sangdo from Topp Dogg
- Sukira Kiss The Radio (KBS, 11.08.2013) Next to Suga
Rap Monster (BTS) TV Programs
- Problematic Men (tvN, 2019)
- M! Countdown (Mnet, 2017) MC Special Together with Ji Min and J-Hope
- Gu Ra Cha Cha Time Slip – New Boy (KBS, 2016)
- Duet Song Festival (MBC, 2016)
- Inkigayo (SBS, 05/15/2016) MC Special Together with Jin
- Find Me (Mbig, 2016)
- Running Man (SBS, 2015) Ep. 265
- Hello Counselor (KBS2, 2015) Ep. 223 Next to V
- Star King (SBS, 05.16.2015) Next to V
- Problematic Men (tvN, 2015)
- 4 Things Show (Mnet, 2014) Ep. 4
- After School Club (Arirang TV, 2014) Ep. 64
- After School Club (Arirang TV, 2014) Ep.63
- After School Club (Arirang TV, 2014) Next to Ji Min and Jung Kook ep. 70
- After School Club (Arirang TV, 2014) Next to Ji Min and Jung Kook ep. 68
- After School Club (Arirang TV, 2014) Next to Ji Min ep. 56
- 2020 Arts Council Korea: 2020 Art Patron of the Year
- 2019 14th Annual Soompi Awards: Best Male Solo
- 2018 Korean Popular Culture & Arts Awards: Hwagwan Orders of Cultural Merit
- Fantastic (with Mandy Ventrice) theme for The Fantastic 4 (2015)