Onew (SHINee) Facts
- K-Pop Group SHINee
- Position: Leader, Vocalist, Dancer.
- Education: Chungwoon University
- Official Fanclub Name M.V.P’s.
- Specialties Singing, piano, Japanese.
- Hobbies: Piano and Chinese.
- Favorite food: Chicken and spicy food
- Religion Catholicism.
- On June 26, 2009, during a performance at the Music Bank in Juliette’s promotions, he was saved from a serious accident when one of the stage lights fell next to him, but he fainted from the shock, although he was not injured.
- He bought a car for his father with the money he first received after his debut.
- When Onew was little he wanted to be a LEGO model designer.
- At the “SHINee World V” concert, he lost his balance and fell during the performance of the song “Ready or not”, injuring his ankle. He did not have many dance appearances in his MV 1 of 1 because of this.
- In 2017 he was charged with sexual harassment, allegedly for inappropriately touching a woman who was dancing at a popular nightclub in Gangman in the early hours of Saturday, August 12. The woman stated that he felt a hand touch his once and ignored it, but when it happened again he asked some club workers if he saw what happened, the witness claimed that he saw Onew touch his and they reported it to the police
- SM Entertainment released an official statement after a few hours earlier it was made public through a TV program: “As a public figure, Onew is deeply reflecting on the anxiety and concern he has caused through unpleasant publications made about him during today. Onew went to a club on August 12 to congratulate a friend who had debuted as a DJ. Due to his inebriated state, Onew unintentionally made physical contact with those around him. This caused a misunderstanding between him and another person, and that was the reason he was questioned by the police. He also revealed that the affected party dropped the charges because he acknowledged that the incident was something that could happen due to alcohol.
- Gangnam Police Station in Seoul revealed that the case would be transferred to the prosecution as a recommendation for indictment without arrest. According to police, Onew has been charged for touching a specific part of a woman’s body at 3 different times while drunk at a Gangnam club on August 12 at 7:10 a.m. KST. At the time of the incident, the woman (referred to as A) was dancing on a platform placed 30 centimeters above the ground, while Onew was sitting on a chair besides the platform. After receiving a complaint from an acquaintance of the victim, the police arrested Onew and interrogated him for 5 hours before releasing him. During the investigation he claimed not to remember anything because he had been drinking. According to a witness, the singer appeared too drunk to stand without assistance and apparently held onto the woman’s leg for support. The scene of the incident was not recorded by CCTV (surveillance cameras). However, the
- For the “Music Bank in Singapore” concert. Due to the controversy SHINee’s performances were edited out. KBS did not air the group’s performances of “Aside” and “Beautiful,” nor Onew’s solo performance of “You Are My Everything,” a song from the drama “Descendants of the Sun” in which he appeared. Onew was also not shown in close-ups, with images of the group or the audience often being shown instead during his lines.
- It was confirmed that Onew had to leave ‘Age Of Youth 2’ due to the recent controversy, “Age of Youth 2” stated that his departure from the show had not yet been confirmed; however, on August 16, SM Entertainment has stated, “Onew’s departure from the show has been confirmed after discussions with the production staff of ‘Age of Youth 2, who have also released a statement saying, “Onew will be leaving the project; however, we have not decided on his replacement, or what will happen from now on. We will release a statement once we have a decision on his replacement. “JTBC and actor agency Namoo Actors confirmed on August 18 that Lee Yoo Jin has been confirmed to star in “Age of Youth 2,” taking over the previous role of Onew.
- On August 28, SM Entertainment officially announced, “Regardless of the facts related to recent events that have caused concern, Onew has shared its intention to take some time for self-reflection. After discussion with the company, we have decided that Onew will not participate in the upcoming concerts in Japan in September. We ask for fans’ understanding.” For this reason, Onew will not participate in the “SHINee WORLD 2017 ~ FIVE ~ Special Edition” concerts on September 2 and 3 at Tokyo Dome, in addition to September 23 and 24 at Kyocera Dome.
- On April 6, 2018 SM Entertainment made an official statement announcing that the prosecution dropped all charges against Onew and the case was closed.
- On November 9, 2018, it was reported that Onew would be enlisting in the military on December 10. SM Entertainment confirmed the news and said, “Onew has expressed his wish to have a silent enlistment. We will respect his wishes and will not reveal the location or timing of his enlistment, and there will be no official farewell event.”
- Onew enlisted for his mandatory military service on December 10, 2018 and completed it on July 20, 2020.
- A staff of the SM Entertainment confirmed on his instagram account that the song onew wrote for ‘VOICE called Shine on You is dedicated to Jonghyun.
He was discovered in the casting of SM Academy 2006 and received great appreciation from Lee Soo Man founder of SM Entertainment, at the debut showcase of Girls’ Generation lee Soo-man noticed it and wanted to hear him sing during a single audition at the venue. He signed the contract with the company the day after auditioning.
Debut with SHINee
In 2008, he was elected as a member of the SHINee the group made its official debut on May 25, 2008, at Inkigayo the SBS.
Onew has participated in several musicals since 2010, debuting in the musical “Brothers were Brave” alongside singer Lee Ji Hoon. He also participated in the Korean production of Rock of Ages where he got the lead role, Drew.
He has also shown his acting skills through several cameos in some dramas such as the role of a bumbling doctor in Dr. Champ, appearing in the final episode of the drama. In addition he has made cameos in Athena: Goddess of War, Oh My God x2, Pure Love and has landed a regular role in the sitcom Royal Villa, and more recently in Descendants Of The Sun.
2016: Collaboration with Lee Jin Ah for SM STATION
SM revealed that the song “Starry Night” would be released on August 12, in collaboration with the singer Lee Jin Ah “Starry Night” talks about becoming stars for each other on a dark night.
2017: Collaboration with Rocoberry for SM STATION
SM revealed the release date for “Lullaby” sung by Onew and Rocoberry the song would be released on May 4 at 6 PM KST.
“Lullaby” is a remake of an original song by Rocoberry fans will feel a kind of healing while listening to the two artists’ voices, which accompany a calm and soothing MV.
2018: Debut as a solo artist with his First Mini-Album “VOICE”.
According to a report from Xportsnews, Onew would release his first solo album in early December and that he was in the final stages of producing the album to release it before his upcoming military enlistment on Dec. 10. And that it was prepared as a gift for the fans who have given him their support so far.
SM Entertainment confirmed this, stating “Onew’s solo album is scheduled for release in early December.”.
The mini-album “VOICE” to be released on December 5 at 6 PM KST. The album includes seven tracks showcasing Onew’s warm vocal tone. The title track “Blue” is an R&B track that gives off a retro pop and jazz vibe. Onew personally wrote the lyrics to two of his songs “Illusion” and “Shine on You”.
“Blue” is an R&B track with a pop and jazz feel, with lyrics as if in a musical monologue. It was composed by indie duo Rocoberry, with lyrics written by Kenzie.
“VOICE” topped 23 international iTunes album charts, including Mexico, Brazil, Bolivia, Chile, Peru, Finland, Russia, Singapore, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Japan, Indonesia, Malaysia, Taiwan, Brunei, Vietnam, Thailand, Finland, Hong Kong, El Salvador, Sri Lanka, Macau and Nicaragua.
On November 9, 2018 , it was reported that he would enlist in the army on December 10. SM Entertainment confirmed the news and said. “Onew has expressed his desire to have a silent enlistment. We will respect his wishes and will not disclose the location or timing of his enlistment, and there will be no official farewell event.”.
As part of South Korea’s effort to combat COVID-19, Onew was officially discharged from the military on July 8, 2020, 12 days before his original discharge date.
2021: Participation in the musical “The Sun’s Song”.
Onew was confirmed for the musical ‘The Sun’s Song’ (also known as ‘Midnight Sun’) is a romantic musical about Hae Na and Ha Ram who meet and sing the brightest song of the sun. Onew will play the role of Ha Ram, the boy dazzling like the midday sun.
Global content production company SHINSWAVE will live stream all musical performances online in 2021. The musical will be performed from May 1 through July 25 at the Kwanglim Arts Center.
Collaboration with Punch for SM STATION
On December 1 at 12PM KST, it was reported that Onew would collaborate with Punch for the song “Way” as part of the SM Station project, which would be released on December 6 at 6PM KST. Onew participated in writing the lyrics.
Onew (SHINee) Collaborations
- Jessica – One Year Later (feat. Onew) (2009)
- Lee Hyun Ji – Vanilla Love (feat. Onew) (2008)
Onew (SHINee) Music
He wrote and composed:
He helped to write:
Onew (SHINee) Drama
- Descendants of the Sun (KBS2, 2016)
- Dating was the Easiest (Beetm TV, 2015)
- Royal Villa (jTBC, 2013)
- Lee Soon Shin is the Best (KBS2, 2013) cameo
- A Bit Of Love (KBS2, 2013) cameo
- Pure Love (KBS2, 2013) cameo
- Oh My God 2 (SBS Plus, 2012) cameo
- Athena (SBS, 2010) cameo
- Dr. Ch& (SBS, 2010) cameo
- My Precious Child (KBS2, 2008) cameo
Onew (SHINee) Musicals
- The Sun’s Song (2021)
- Shinheung Military Academy (2018-2019)
- Rock of Ages (2010)
- The Brothers Were Brave (2010)
Onew (SHINee) Films
- SMTOWN The Stage (2015)
- I AM (2012)
Onew (SHINee) Radio Programs
- 2008-2009: Super Juniors “Kiss the Radio” (DJ Special with Jonghyun)
- 2008-2009: Park Kyung Lim’s “Byulbam Radio” (DJ with Key)
- 2008-2009: Shindongs and Shinyoungs “Shim Shim Tapa Radio” (DJ with Jonghyun and Minho)
- 2009: Taeyeon’s “Chin Chin Radio” (DJ with Minho)
- 2009: KBS-2FMs “Music Show Radio” (DJ with Key)
- 2010: Super Junior “Kiss the Radio” (DJ Replacing Leeteuk)
- 2010: Taeyeons “Chin Chin Radio” (Special Guest)
- 2010: KBS-R Cool FM “Lee Soo Young’s Radio Show” (guest DJ)
- 2011: Super Junior “Kiss the Radio” (DJ Special)
- 2011: Super Junior “Kiss the Radio” (DJ Special with Key)
- 2013: Super Junior “Kiss the Radio” (Dj Especial besides Dana )
- 2013: Super Junior “Kiss the Radio (Dj Especial besides Key)
- 2013:Super Junior “Kiss The Radio (Dj besides Dana replacing Ryeowook and Sungmin for several days)
- 2013: “Kiss the Radio: Open Concert (Special Dj)
- 2016: May 25 “Kiss the Radio”: (Special DJ)
- 2016: July 05 “Kiss the Radio”: (Special DJ)
- Volume Up (KBS Cool FM, 2021) (04.03.2021) together with Min Ho
Onew (SHINee) TV Programs
- Amazing Saturday (tvN, 2021, Ep.149) together with Min Ho
- Sea of Hope (jTBC, 2021)
- Eat Sleep Eat (tvN, 2016)
- Witch Hunt (jTBC, 2015) together with Tae Min
- SNL Korea (jTBC, 2015)
- Abnormal Summit (jTBC, 2015) together with Min Ho
- Law of the Jungle in Borneo (SBS, 2014)
- Golden Camera (KBS, 2013)
- Radio Star (MBC, 2012) together with Tae Min
- Shinhwa Broadcast (jTBC, 2012) together with SHINee
- Incheon Korean Music Wave (MBC, 2012)
- Star King (SBS, 2011)
- Happy Together 3 (KBS, 2011)
- Strong Heart (SBS, 2011) Ep. 69-70
- MBC Show! Music Core (MBC, 2010-2011)
- The 8th Korean Film Awards (MBC, 2010) Red Carpet Host
- Star King (SBS, 2010)
- Oh My School (KBS, 2010)
- Hello Baby! (KBS, 2010) together with SHINee
- Ya Haeng Sung/Night Star (KBS, 2010) MC
- Star King (SBS, 2009) Ep. 131-132, 144
- Invincible Youth (KBS, 2009)
- Flower Boys Generation (MBC, 2009)
- SHINee’s YunHaNam (Mnet, 2008)
- 2016 Scene Stealer Festival: Male Rookie (Descendants of the Sun)
- 2015: 2015 SBS Gayo Daejeon: Best Leader 2015: Shinee
Onew (SHINee) TV Drama’s
- Blue (next to Elaine ) theme for High Class (2021)
- Dear My Spring theme for You Are My Spring (2021)
- Shadow theme for Break-up Suspension (2021)
- Moonlight subject for Miss Korea (2013)
- In Your Eyes subject for To the Beautiful You (2012)
Onew (SHINee) Music Videos
- Heize – Don’t know you (2017)