Kim Jaejoong (JYJ) Facts
- Kpop Group JYJ
- Ex-Kpop Group TVXQ (DBSK) (2003-2009).
- Gongju Jungdong Elementary School
- Kongju National University Middle School
- Kongju Information High School (Abandoned)
- Henan High School (Department of Digital Media Engineering) (Graduate)
- Kyunghee Cyber University (Department of Information and Communications) (Graduate)
- Languages: Korean (native language) and Japanese (fluent).
- Official debut: 26-12-03 BoA and Britney Spears Showcase (TVXQ).
- Hobbies: Listening to music, playing the piano, playing games and cooking.
- Fanclub Jaeharem / Herotic.
- Company He is the CEO of Bum’s Story stores (together with Yoo Chun), Cafe J-Holic and Moldir Korea.
- True date of birth Jaejoong was born on February 04, 1986, but when he was adopted by the Kim family, they registered his birth date as January 26, 1986, due to superstitions regarding the number 04.
- Born as Han Jae Joong (한재준), his biological parents divorced, his biological mother had financial problems, so he gave his son up for adoption to the Kim family when he was very young (about 4 years old), who were the owners of the restaurant where Jae Joong’s biological mother worked, and his name was changed to Kim Jae Joong.
- He participated as an extra in the South Korean movie Taegeukgi Hwinallimyeo (태극기 휘날리며) in the role of a soldier. With the money he got for his participation (₩80,000) he bought chewing gum at a cheap sales place and tried to resell them although, finally, he sold them all to an employee who worked at a supermarket.
- He had many difficulties before his debut. When he moved to Seoul, he had trouble paying his rent and worked many small part-time jobs. He worked as a waiter and also donated blood in order to feed himself. He once confessed that he had walked for three hours to get around so he wouldn’t lose money on bus fare.
- In 2001 he was chosen by SM Entertainment in an audition of 500 participants, winning an award for best appearance and successfully passing the singing test.
- In September 2005, while rehearsing dance steps for “Rising Sun” Kim broke his knee cartilage and was taken to a hospital in Seoul. He underwent surgery the same day to repair the tissue.
- On November 21, 2006, a man surnamed Han filed a legal letter against Jaejoong’s legal guardians, stating that he was Jaejoong’s biological father, and claimed his paternity rights. Han cited the reason for the lawsuit, saying that there were wrong procedures in registering his legal custody since he divorced Jaejoong’s mother in the ’80s and surrendered legal custody of his son, leaving his wife in charge of the child, but it was not until a few years ago that he learned that his son had been raised by another family. He demanded a DNA test to prove the validity of his claim, but the lawsuit was denied since his adoption had been done correctly. Fans found out about this from TV news, questioning why Han did not privately call Jaejoong, and why he did so when his son became famous.
- On November 22, 2006, Mr. Han, under charges before Kim’s legal guardians, said that his intention was to settle doubts about his son’s military service call-up. He expressed that he had no intention of making a big fuss, and clarified about speculations that he was out to cash in on Jaejoong’s fame. Hero, reacting to this, wrote a message on his official website, and said that he already knew about the condition and existence of his biological parents, information that his mother told him 2 or 3 years before, and that he was shocked to learn about it. With his mother’s support, his birth mother was able to meet him, and see him from time to time. Jaejoong expressed his wish to live under the name Kim Jaejoong and promised to be loyal to his four parents. He also added that he would not like his family’s history to be exposed to the public again.
- To celebrate his debut as an actor in the 2011 drama Protect the Boss fans donated a total of 6.56 tons of rice to help the needy under the name Jaejoong, the largest amount ever recorded.
- Wrote and composed I’ll Protect You part of the OST of Protect the Boss.
- In 2012, JaeJoong fell from heights while filming the movie Jackal is Coming despite his accident, JaeJoong attended Dr. Jin’s fanmeeting in Japan.
- In December 2012, his agency C-JeS Entertainment announced his solo release in January, the agency shared, “Kim Jaejoong will release a quite special solo mini-album. You can hear his husky and operatic voice that is very different from JYJ’s style. You can enjoy his different charms.”
- In December 2012, The singer’s fan site, “Rough HEROSE Sisters”, donated the money to the campaign against the unfair prices of school meals for needy children. The campaign states that the school meals provided by the Department of Health and Services are not worth the high price the institutions are charging the children. Currently the children are paying 1420 won (about $1.30 dollars) per meal. The fan site got the money from the proceeds of their sales and donated about $10,000 dollars under the name “Hero’s Goods.”
- Released on January 17, 2013, his first solo mini-album “I ” was simultaneously ranked first in Taiwan’s Five Music list in the “Korea/Japan” category and in Japan’s Shinseido weekly list.
- In January 2013, for sales for the concert of his first mini-album, “Your, My and Mine he set a record for the number of visits to Interpark’s website at the time, and sold 16,000 tickets. On the other hand, for his concert Yokohama Grand Finale, the ticket sales page was overwhelmed with visitors that were four times more than the available tickets, 160,000, and the concert sold out in an instant, resulting in countless requests for standing room tickets as well as those for limited view seating.
- On October 9, 2013, C-JeS Entertainment announced that Kim Jaejoong’s first solo tour, called ‘2013 Kim Jaejoong 1st Album Asia Tour Concert in an official statement, they said, “As soon as tickets for the November 2 and 3 shows at Seoul Convention & Exhibition Center (COEX) went on sale, the ticketing website and mobile app, Interpark, slowed down demonstrating the great intensity of Kim Jaejoong’s popularity. With his amazing transformation into a rocker in his previous album, his fans are eagerly waiting for this new album and concert.
- On October 15, 2013, his album “A Sunny Day “Immediately after the release, the track rose to the top spot on Cyworld’s streaming music chart, and also reached the top spots on the Olleh and Mnet music charts.” The reaction to the song’s release was explosive. As soon as “A Sunny Day” was released, comments flooded various music sites, as it reached the top of the charts as the most searched track on several websites.
- “WWW: Who, When, Why “Kim Jaejoong’s first solo studio album, the album topped the charts of Gaon as well as Hanteo. Kim Jaejoong also came within one step of the top spot by ranking second on KBS 2TV’s “Music Bank” without making an appearance, but only through the sales of his album. It topped the iTunes charts of Japan, Taiwan, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Barbados, Lithuania, Vietnam and Slovakia. The Album also ranked within the top 30 in Norway, Belgium, Finland and England and grabbed the fourth spot on Japan’s Oricon chart. On November 6, 2013 a representative of C-JeS Entertainment stated, “Kim Jaejoong is surprising Japanese music officials by taking a spot on Japan’s weekly Oricon chart with a Korean Album. There were no promotions made in Japan. Therefore, if we add the number of imported albums sold at record labels in Japan, we can see how many Korean albums are sold in Japan.
- In response to all the attention he is receiving, Kim Jaejoong held a meeting with 60,000 fans in Japan on November 15 and 16 at Yokohama Stadium.
- In December 2013, His agency confirmed his first national solo tour since his debut, called “2014 Kim Jaejoong 1st Album Asia Tour Concert “.
- On August 1, 2014, C-JeS Entertainment reported that Kim Jaejoong was chosen as the model for the company’s 10th anniversary commemorative stamps. The “Jaejoong 10th Anniversary Premium Fame St& Set” collection included 10 stamps, a poster card, a holder, a 20-page photobook and a case. “Being chosen the face of a company’s 10th anniversary commemorative stamps in Japan means he is getting a lot of love in Japan where the Hallyu is said to be experiencing a rough patch. It is a great honor and this is very good news.”
- Due to the massive amount of pre-order sales the collection was only available for pre-sale from August 1 to September 15. Among those who placed their order there were ten winners of a Kim Jaejoong signature card and there was one winner of a jacket that the singer wore at his “Who, When, Why Concert” in 2013.
- On October 11, 2014, he made a surprise appearance at the concert of Gummy” Case in case “Previously, Gummy appeared at Kim Jaejoong’s solo concert for a duet. At Gummy’s concert, Kim Jaejoong participated in a small event with the audience and sang a song. For the special event, Kim Jaejoong read the story of a couple in the audience, and when the boy went on stage to propose to his girlfriend, the singer copied him, earning cheers from the audience.
- He has a tradition of celebrating his birthday with his fans by performing special concerts as a token of appreciation, starting with his concert “Your, My, Mine “This was followed by “J-PARTY “and an encore presentation for its “WWW Concert Tour in Asia for the “The singer’s birthday,” which was also worn on the singer’s birthday, for the “2015 KIM JAEJOONG J-PARTY IN SEOUL “and the event “2015 KIM JAEJOONG J-PARTY IN YOKOHAMA “Kim Jaejoong personally suggested holding the birthday party and fan gathering in Korea and Japan as he felt it would be a good memory for his fans to treasure, along with his appearance in drama ‘Spy’, which is said to be the last small screen project before he leaves for the army.
- For your fan meeting “2015 Kim Jaejoong J Party in Seoul “C-JeS Entertainment released a statement regarding this: “The first round of ticket sales for Kim Jaejoong’s birthday fan meeting has sold out in record time. Many fans were engaged in a ticketing war in hopes of celebrating the event with Kim Jaejoong, and so we have set another record in fifteen minutes. It has been a year since the last fan meeting, and we are very happy with how fans have expressed their warm response for the event…”.
- In February 2015, the fashion brand MOLD chose Jaejoong as art director. In an interview, Jaejoong shared, “In an impeccable production, whether in music or acting, fashion is something that cannot be left out. Through the designs, I try to show the sensibility that I have developed through my experiences as a singer and actor. What I consider most important is the material. To create a design that is not just instant fashion for a short-term, consumer feeling, high-quality materials must be used, so I care about every little detail”.
- On March 4, 2015, C-Jes Entertainment,reported that Kim Jaejoong had confirmed his date to enter military service on March 31.The agency confirmed that the report was true and said, “He will spend his remaining time before entering with his fans. “Because of this Kim Jaejoong held a fan meeting during that month and a concert on March 28 and 29 titled “2015 Kim Jae Joong Concert in Seoul-The Beginning of The End “In addition, he will also have the opportunity to meet his foreign fans on March 14.
- Due to the surprise enlistment he gave public statements in an interview and a message to his fans saying, “I will come back healthy, and you shouldn’t worry too much. I am very grateful to all of you for giving me so much support and love.”
- On March 25, a representative of JYJ’s agency, C-JeS Entertainment shared, “Kim Jaejoong has expressed his strong desire to enter the military quietly, so the agency has decided to respect his intentions,” explaining that the event of his entering the military will not be open to the media, aiming to hold this event in private.
- For his farewell concert for his fans before his military enlistment “2015 KIM JAE JOONG CONCERT IN SEOUL – The Beginning of The End “Tickets to the concert were in short supply, especially for the March 29 performance. The first round of tickets sold out within five minutes of going on sale and, in response to fan requests, additional audio seats were sold. On the day of the March 29 concert, fans lined up from the early hours of the morning to try and secure a ticket at the venue. “We sold 200 extra seats at the venue,” said a source. This was in response to illegal ticket sales that were occurring, with distributors charging over 1 million won (approximately $906 USD) for a ticket. In sum, Kim Jaejoong was able to say his final goodbye to 12 200 fans. On the last day of the concert he and his fans wept and he expressed his fear of losing them as they have accompanied him for much of his life.
- During his first day of the concert “2015 KIM JAE JOONG CONCERT IN SEOUL-The Beginning of The End “, he shared the news that he will release new songs during military service talking about this after performing his first song. “Honestly, I am still not sure how to react to this moment since it will be my last concert before joining military service. However, I know that we should not be sad. That is why I prepared bright songs that I can dance to instead of depressing songs. I have prepared two new songs for today. I need to make sure that you will like the songs I release during military service,” revealing that he will continue his music career even during service.
- One of the most popular comments from recruits in the army upon meeting him was: “He’s friendly, social and talks a lot. The most common is: “He’s damn handsome and has an amazing body.” With the latter Jaejoong earned the nickname “Hulk” because as the oldest he used to work twice as hard and thus forged a good reputation and the respect of many even his elders.
- He ranked first out of 240 soldiers at the Recruit Training Center. At the Basic Training Completion Ceremony, he took the podium to receive an Award of Excellence. He was very good with the gun, shooting 19/20 on target or 20/20 out of 20 shots.
- He said that the army was very hard for him, the training and the schedules to which they had to submit to cost him a lot, but he managed to adapt over time, in his spare time he read books. Because of his new hobby his fans donated a coffee book to the first division of the armed forces.
- A poll asked who was the celebrity they were most looking forward to leaving the military: Kim Jaejoong topped the poll with more than one million votes, the runner-up had less than half.
- He was commemorated as “Special Warrior” the only one in his division. (The title of Special Warrior is awarded to only 1% of the entire ground force. In order to obtain the grade he needs to meet very high level physical tests.)
- During his military service he released his album NO.X and made “2016 Kim Jaejoong 2nd Album Hologram real live Concert in Japan “Kim Jaejoong’s agency said that the artist was looking to calm his fans’ wait for him.
- He completed his military service on December 30, 2016 as a Sergeant. He donated to the military all the money earned in his military service which he had saved for that purpose.
- A few days before his release he did a fanmeeting and a VLIVE, as he couldn’t wait to greet his fans.
- Jaejoong gave his voice for “The Zoo is Alive 2”, a documentary about animals.
- He admits to being a fan of spicy food and always accompanies his dishes with a bit of chili, in addition to having a high tolerance level.
- Jaejoong has ranked first as The Best Visual of Kpop of the second generation, along with T.O.P from BIGBANG and Choi Si Won from Super Junior.
- Some idols have mentioned their admiration for him, one of his fanboys is L from INFINITE.
- He likes cars, he owned a Bentley Continental, a Lamborghini Murcielago, a Rolls – Royce Wraith and a Mitsuoka, which he sold before enlisting, according to him he could not drive in his 2 years of military service.
- He made his tour KIM JAEJOONG ASIATOUR ‘The REBIRTH of J’ performing in countries such as Japan, Taiwan, Thailand, Hong Kong, Macao and Korea.
- In Seoul the concert was sold out in 3 minutes.
- He was appointed Honorary Ambassador of Gongju City/Baekje Cultural Festival 2017.
- In the same year he was appointed Promotional Ambassador of “Paradise City”, the first resort located in South Korea.
- In 2017 inaugurates KAVE MALL (Shop and cafe) located in Shibuya – Tokyo, which he owns. (Many artists have sent their congratulations. Hee Chul of Super Junior, BTS and Zico are one of them)
- He has had several accidents during the recording of Manhole: Wonderland’s Feel.
- There is a phenomenon called “Jaejoong Effect”, which means that everything he uses or promotes gets a “sold out”.
- The drama Manhole, managed to sell for more than 140,000 dollars per episode in Japan, experts say that the reason for its purchase is mainly due to the popularity of Kim Jaejoong in that country, who also decided to make his comeback on television with this drama, after serving his military service. So far it is the highest paid drama, surpassing the highest paid drama in Japan Descendants of the Sunwhich was purchased for $100,000.
- His agency in Japan is K-Dash and he has his own office called: JB’s.
- In the famous Korean variety show: Comedy Big League, he makes a surprise appearance in the audience, when the camera caught him people were surprised and everyone was excited, even the comedians included him in the show, that episode achieved the highest rating of the show.
- In September 2019, he decided to use a stage name (J-JUN) to promote in Japan.
- On April 1, 2020, Jae Joong wrote on his Instagram account that he was admitted to a hospital and receiving treatment after testing positive for coronavirus. This caused a stir as the day before he appeared on the popular NHK network’s music program Utacon, besides local J-pop singers. However, according to his own admission, this information was not true. Apparently, it was just a kind of joke on the occasion of April 1: the date on which the traditional ‘April Fools’ Day’ is celebrated. With a black background and solemn tone, shortly after the original post he published a rectification, where he acknowledged that his joke had gotten out of hand and that his initial intention was to ask his fans to take precautions not to get infected. NHK channel has cancelled the Korean’s scheduled appearance on a radio program today, all because of the controversy he has caused with this.
About Kim Jae Joong
Kim Jae Joong was born Han Jae Joong in Gongju, Chungcheongnam-do Province, South Korea. His real birth date, as revealed by his birth mother, was February 4 instead of January 26. At a young age, he was given up for adoption by his birth mother to the Kim family and his name was changed to Kim Jae Joong.
When Kim Jae Joong was fifteen years old, he moved to Seoul by himself in order to take part in the auditions held by SM Entertainment. Life in Seoul was financially difficult, and he took various jobs to pay for rent, food, and transportation and even appeared as an extra in a movie. In an interview, he admitted that he was “tone-deaf” in elementary school and was often ridiculed for his dream of becoming a singer, but he managed to overcome it through practicing on his own.
Debut in TVXQ
In 2001 at the age of fifteen, Kim auditioned for SM Entertainment and was accepted into the agency. In 2003 he made his debut with TVXQ (DBSK) he was the lead vocalist.
In 2009 JaeJoong, Jun Su and Yoo Chun started a lawsuit against their agency S.M. Entertainment, and separated from TVXQ, soon formed their own band, JYJ.
2013: Solo debut with his first mini album “I” and comeback with his mini repackage album “MINE”.
On January 17, 2013, Kim Jae joong released his first solo EP entitled I / MINE the album debuted on the top of the Hanteo and Gaon charts in Korea, achieving resounding success throughout Asia, topping Five Music’s Korean and Japanese music charts. It also topped the iTunes Rock charts in nine countries.
2013 – 2014: WWW
On October 29, 2013 his first solo album “WWW” is released. The single titled “Sunny Day” was released prior to the album and topped the iTunes EP chart in Japan. A repackaged version of the album, WWW: Remove Makeup was also released in January 2014 and included the title track “Heaven,” a pop ballad featuring agency partner Gummy.
2016: He returned with his second studio album “NO.X”.
His second solo album, No.X was released on February 12, 2016 during his military service as a gift to his fans. It topped the iTunes charts of 39 countries worldwide after its release, and was named the most popular K-pop album in China for 2016.
2020: Return in Korea with his second mini album “Love Ballad”.
On November 28, 2019, C-JeS Entertainment announced that Kim Jaejoong was preparing for his first Korean release in four years.
“It is confirmed that Kim Jaejoong will release a new album sometime in the middle of January next year,” an agency representative stated. “As Kim Jaejoong has not been active [in the Korean music industry] for a long time, we predict that music industry experts and fans will keep an eye on him after the news of his comeback in January.”.
C-JeS Entertainment also announced that Kim Jaejoong would embark on an Asian concert tour to celebrate the release of his new album.
Jaejoong released a teaser image for the release of his second solo mini album “Love Ballad, which will be released on January 14 at 6 PM KST. The teaser image looks monotone and calm, revealing both the title of the upcoming mini album and the title track “Tender Love”.
On January 8, he shared with his fans the complete list of all the songs that will be part of his new album, which will consist of four songs: “About This Fragile, Fragile Love”, “Secret”, “Time of the Sea” and “Life Support”, the last two of which he previously premiered during a meeting with fans.
Kim Jaejoong (JYJ) Collaborations
- m-flo feat. JaeJoong and Yoo Chun – Been So Long (2009)
- Just for One Day feat. Jaejoong – CSJH The Grace (2008) japanese album Graceful 4.
- Tenjochiki – 3 Just For One Day feat. JEJUNG (Tohoshinki) (2007)
- At DBSK wrote and composed Don’t Cry My Lover, Wasurenaide, 9095 and together with Park Yoo Chun composed Kiss Shitta Mama Sayonara, Colors, Shelter and Melody & Harmony.
Kim Jaejoong (JYJ) Drama
- Bad-Memory Eraser (TBA, 2021)
- Manhole: Wonderland’s Feel (KBS2, 2017)
- Spy (KBS, 2015)
- Triangle (MBC, 2014)
- Time Slip Dr. Jin (MBC, 2012)
- Protect the Boss (SBS, 2011)
- Sunao ni Narenakute (Fuji TV, 2010)
- Vacation (SBS, 2006)
- Banjun Drama (SBS, 2005)
- [2020.07.09] J-JUN LIVE 2019~Love Covers~
- [2019.12.25] JAEJOONG ARENA TOUR 2019～Flawless Love～
- [2019.02.13] Jaejoong / JAEJOONG/The Reunion in memory Normal Edition
Kim Jaejoong (JYJ) Films
- On the Road (2021)
- Jackal is Coming (2012)
- The Day (2012)
- Heaven’s Postman (2009)
- Dating on Earth (2009)
- Taegukgi (2004)
Kim Jaejoong (JYJ) TV Programs
- Photo People in Paris (V LIVE 2017, 2018)
- Photo People in Tokyo (V LIVE 2018)
Kim Jaejoong (JYJ) Drama Themes
- Things to Love theme for Private Lives (2020)
- Even if I call theme for Mr. Heart (2020)
- Coincidence theme for Triangle (2014)
- Even Though I Hate It theme for Triangle (2014)
- Living like a Dream theme for Time Slip Dr. Jin (2012)
- I’ll Protect You theme for Protect the Boss (2011)
- For You It’s Separation, To Me It’s Waiting theme for Sungkyunkwan Scandal (2010)
- BREAKING DAWN (Japanese Ver.) theme for NOBLESSE (2021)
- We’re theme for On the Road (2021)
- Greetings theme for A Millionaire’s First Love (2006)