Kim Hyun-Joong (SS501) Facts
- Kpop Group SS501
- Jamsil Elementary School
- Jamsil High School
- Yeongdong High School (Dropped out)
- Hanyang Technical High School (Graduated)
- Kyonggi University Digital Electronic Music
- Languages: Korean (native language), Japanese, Chinese and English (fluent).
- Fan club: “ hennessia” (헤네 치아).
- Hobbies: Swimming, gymnastics, basketball, soccer, dance.
- Specialties: Playing guitar and bass.
- Instruments Guitar and Bass.
- Religion: Catholic
- Baptismal name: Rafael
- Period of military service: 12-May-2015 to 11-February-2017
- As a student he was interested in rock music, so he performed as a bassist in an Indie band in Hongdae. He originally dreamed of making his debut as a band and not as an idol.
- During high school, he was chosen for national Olympic competitions in math and science.
- He auditioned for DSP Media when he was working at a family restaurant. An assistant of Park Jung Min went to see him after hearing a rumor that Kim Hyun Joong was a famous employee for his looks and charisma. He was selected by Lee Ho-yeon and joined as an SS501 member.
- He worked in many part-time and full-time positions prior to his debut, including a chicken restaurant, pizzeria, and family restaurant.
- On September 16, 2008, he was taken to the emergency room for an accidental overdose of sleeping pills. He was discharged the same day.
- In September 2009, he was diagnosed with the influenza virus (H1N1).
- In 2010 he decided not to renew his contract with DSP Entertainment and signed with KEYEAST.
- On May 18, 2010, he was involved in a car accident, suffering rib injuries and bruises and Love Ya’s comeback had to be delayed until early June.
- The Ministry of Gender Equality and Family (MGEF) flagged the music video for “Please” from his debut album “Break Down” as “Dangerous to Children” for its content. Keyeast filed a complaint and the court ruled in the agency’s favor, explaining, ” Pop music should give freedom of expression. It is difficult to justify lyrics that encourage smoking or drinking “.
- In 2011 on MBC’s “Knee Drop Guru” he admitted for the first time to having plastic surgery on his nose. He explained at the time, “I broke my nose a while back after being hit by a rock. So I had the bone fixed and had a little work done on my nose.”
- In 2011 he signed a contract with Universal Music Japan.
- On January 19, 2012, the debut single in Japan “Kiss Kiss / Lucky Guy” reached No. 1 on the “Recochoku” music chart. On January 25, the day of release, it reached No. 2 on the Oricon Daily with 71,812 copies sold and No. 64 on the Oricon Annual, selling a total of 121,547 copies.
- The Ministry of Gender Equality and Family (MGEF) branded the music video for ” Lucky Guy “The ministry determined that the casino scene could arouse the desire to gamble in children and that it encourages them to pursue a “quick and easy profit”.”
- When Kim Hyun Joong filmed this MV, he was already worried about MGEF’s interference. That’s why the gambling game was made on a Korean game similar to Monopoly and used “Uzu shin”, anime characters, as the chips to create a more comical scene. Also, the concept of the MV was inspired by the American movie “Ocean’s Eleven”, and since they couldn’t shoot a whole casino scene, they opted for humor.
- On March 20, 2012, Kim Hyun Joong’s agency declared that he was chosen as the first celebrity for Yahoo Korea’s new celebrity information website “Yahoo! Celeb”. A Yahoo representative stated, “Kim Hyun Joon is a star of Asia. He has won the “Yahoo! Asia Buzz Award” for 3 consecutive years. He is a true global star and that’s why we chose him as the first celebrity for “Yahoo! Celeb”.
- Their second Japanese-language single, “Heat”, released on July 4, 2012, achieved the top spot on Oricon Daily reaching 138,000 copies sold, in turn breaking the record that TVXQ had held since January 26, 2011, when the single Why? (Keep Your Head Down) sold 133,223 copies.
- Kim Hyun Joong was one of the first Korean artists to earn a platinum album first with the album Breakdown (2011) by Warner Music Taiwan and with the single Tonight (2014) RIAJ.
- Hyun Joong has organized concerts for his fans, including “Goodbye YJH” “PlayFull Kiss” Breakdown “
- His appearance in 2012 on the Chinese variety program “Happy Camp”. had the highest audience for a Korean artist during that year.
- On August 22, 2014 Dispatch reported that he had been charged for an alleged crime of assault. Kim Hyun Joong’s girlfriend, whom the press called “A,” and whom he had been dating for two years, filed criminal charges against the singer for repeated instances of violence and assault between May and July of that year. According to “A”, in May of that year he was beaten and suffered contusions to his face, chest, arm and lower parts, diagnostic injuries that required two weeks for a full recovery. In July, the situation worsened, reaching such violence that A suffered a rib fracture and a diagnostic recovery of six weeks. “A” presented documents attesting to his romantic relationship with Kim Hyun Joong, as well as medical reports documenting his injuries. On August 23, Keyeast released an official statement denying the allegations of continuous assault and battery as well as other claims filed by “A”.
- On August 28, 2014, it was reported that the singer and actor had been received during October 10 and the year, but kept the time until the following year, thanks to his world tour and other commitments. Kim Hyun Joong quietly enlisted on May 12, 2015. The singer and actor finished his military service on February 11, 2017.
- On March 30, 2017 he was suspended. His license was translated to life status and blood alcohol status of 0.075%. He was apparently reported by a driver who was not moving according to his agency’s statements had gone drinking with friends.
- On April 29, 2017, Kim Hyun Joong held a fanmeeting for his fans, fanmeeting “Anemone”, where he talked about his controversies and apologized to them for disappointing them. “There were many things that happened recently. Apologies for disappointing them again. I feel that my fans and everyone around me are very upset. I’m embarrassed for standing in front of my fans without having had much time to reflect.” Here’s what he likes about us. The number of fans. “If I didn’t hold this fan meeting today, I don’t think I would have been able to see all my fans for a very long time and I decided to do it, I missed them all very much. I am relieved that I can fulfill my promise to see them again. Thank you for believing in me, even though I am silly and I have a lot to work on. According to sources, Kim Hyun Joong was nervous and worried at first, but as the fan meeting progressed, he started to warm up and became more comfortable. Tawill start on 6) from now on, I will not let you down. I will spend my days doing good deeds, regardless of others’ perceptions of me, I will progress gradually. I hope everyone will support me.
- On January 22, 2018, an official statement was released in the same year, last year and four months in prison for Kim Hyun Jong’s ex-girlfriend for attempted fraud. They had in an account that ‘A’ falsified his pregnancy texts, that there were traces of tempering and editing in his pregnancy test photo, as well as Kim Hyun Joong’s lawsuit, although his claims that he had a miscarriage due to The Violence were false. I also stated that his media interview saying he had miscarried from an assault was a strict case of spreading false information. The trial will be held on February 8.
- On Feb. 8, Choi was sentenced to pay a fine of 5 million won ($4,600).The judge made sure that, however, there is no evidence of how to edit. There is no evidence that any other messages. The judge also mentioned it when looking at the recovered messages. Therefore, the judge concluded that it was difficult to conclude that Choi manipulated evidence. However, Choi has been found guilty of making false statements claiming that he had been pregnant and that Kim Hyun Joong forced his to have an abortion for the second time in October 2014.Choi himself admitted that part of his statement was false.
- On March 26, 2018, it was reported that Kim Hyun had his police license suspended on March 26 for drunk driving. The report was revealed, around 2 a.m., a driver had noticed a vehicle stopped at an intersection and called the police when the vehicle did not move, when the police approached the vehicle, they found Kim Hyun Joong sleeping in the driver’s seat. Since his alcohol level turned out to be 0.075%, above the legal limit of 0.03%, he had an automatic license suspension.
- KeyEast Entertainment issued a statement on March 30, justifying the actor by explaining that he was just moving his car and is reflecting on his actions: ” Early on the morning of March 26,” Kim Hyun Joong was having a drink with His friends near His house when a parking attendant allowed him to change his car. As he was already practicing for his concert, he had not been asleep for a few days. He had not even driven for 1 km. Kim Hyun Joong understands that it was a mistake at the time of drinking and reflection on his actions. We will be careful so this does not happen “.
- On July 6, 2018, his agency KeyEast, confirmed that Kim Hyun Joong will star in fantasy romance drama ‘When Time Stops’. This was his first drama in four years since KBS2’s ‘Inspiring Generation’ and his first public release.
- Due to the series of legal issues he was involved in with his ex-girlfriend since 2014, a lot of controversy was generated by multiple negative reactions from the public for his quick return to television, as well as criticism towards the broadcasting station, for his return to a drama so quickly despite his history of physical abuse and alcohol.
- He is a member and founder of the soccer team FC MEN together with Xiah Jun Su (JYJ), (formed by various show business figures for charitable purposes).
- In February 2019 he founded his own agency under the name Henecia.
About Kim Hyun Joong
Kim Hyun Joong was the leader and eldest member of the South Korean band SS501 with the expiration of the contract, Kim Hyun Joong did not renew his contract with DSP Media, which managed him as part of SS501 and joined KEYEAST in 2010 (the agency of the renowned actor Bae Yong Joon).
He debuted as a solo artist with his Korean mini-album BREAKDOWN in June 2011, of which he had previously released his single “Please” in May. Kim Hyun Joong was the first solo singer in 2011 to sell 100,000 copies in just 2 weeks after its release. In October of the same year he released his 2nd mini album called LUCKY, also gaining great recognition and in December he released his 2nd single “Marry Me, Marry You”.
Kim Hyun Joong has been the only Korean artist to win platinum albums. Among his winning albums are: Break Down on 15.08.2011 by Warner Music Taiwan and Tonight currently given by RIA, Japan (RIA is a record label in Japan, it distributes all recorded music legally sold. RIA covers 3 major organizations: Universal Music Group, Sony Entertainment Music and Warner Music Group).
Kim Hyun-Joong (SS501) Advertisement
- 2014: Lotte Duty Free
- 2013: Justin Davis Jewels
- 2013: Lotte Duty Free – besides Choi Ji Woo
- 2012: Aeon COOLISHFACT
- 2012: Center Pole
- 2012: Slim Beauty House
- 2012: DK Cider – next to Park Shin Hye
- 2012: Hang Ten
- 2012: The Face Shop, The Smim – besides Seo Hyun
- 2011: Aeon’s Heatfact
- 2011: Lotte Duty Free
- 2011: The Face Shop BB Cream – besides Park Min Young
- 2011: Coupang Spring Campaign
- 2011: Hang Ten
- 2011: The Face Shop – besides Seo Hyun
- 2010: Samsung Card , Why Not? Version 2
- 2010: Samsung Card , WHY NOT?
- 2010: Basic House Fall – besides Yoon Eun Hye
- 2010: Basic House Summer – besides Yoon Eun Hye
- 2010: Basic House Spring – besides Yoon Eun Hye
- 2010: I’m David
- 2010: MVIO Spring
- 2009: Tony Moly
- 2009: T.I For Men
- 2009: Basic House
- 2009: Le Coq Sportif with SS501
- 2009: MVIO
- 2009: Samsung Card
- 2009: Hotsun Chicken
- 2009: Dinamic Kin
- 2009: Anycall Agent M – besides Lee Min Ho and UEE
- 2009: Anycall Magic Hole – besides Lee Min Ho and UEE
- 2009: Samsung Anycall Jet
- 2008: NongShim ramen
- 2009: Samsung Anycall Haptic Pop – besides Kim Bum, Lee Min Ho Kim Joon
- 2008: Converse
- 2007: Elite Uniform – next to SS501 and Im Yoon Ah
- 2006: Lotte Milkshake – with SS501
- 2006: Mighty Mac – with SS501
- 2005: Samsung Anycall Blue Black – besides Moon Geun Young
- Kim Hyun Joong 1st Tour In Japan 2011
- November 09 – Osaka – Osaka International Conference Hall
- November 11 – Sapporo – Sapporo Civic Center
- 12 November – Sendai – Power Center
- November 15 – Hiroshima – Alsok Hall
- November 16 – Yokohama – Yokohama National Assembly Hall
- november 19 and 20 – Tokyo – Tokyo International Convention And Exhibition Center
- November 23 – Fukuoka – Fukuoka International Conference Hall
- Kim Hyun Joong Japan Major Debut Premium Live 2012
- February 05 – Yokohama – Yokohama High School
- Kim Hyun Joong Japan Tour “Unlimited” 2013
- 06 January – Kobe – Kobe World Memorial Hall
- 09 January – Saitama – Saitama Super Arena
- 11 and 12 January – Aichi – Nagoya International Conference Main Hall
- January 14 – Shizuoka – Act City Hamamatsu
- 16 January – Miyagi – Sendai Sun Plaza
- 26 January – Kagawa – Kagawa Prefectural Museum
- 28 and 29 January – Fukuoka – Fukuoka Sun Palace
- 06 and 07 February – Osaka – Osaka International Conference Hall
- march 03 – Tokyo – Yoyogi Arena
- 05 March – Hokkaido – Sapporo Art Museum
- 24 and 25 March – Hiroshima – Hiroshima Cultural Center
- Kim Hyun Joong World Tour “Fantasy” 2014
- june 28th – Seoul, South Korea – SK Olympic Handball Gymnasium
- July 05 – Taipei, Taiwan – Taipei Industrial And Commercial Exhibition Hall
- 29 and 30 July – Yokohama, Japan – Yokohama High School
- 05 August – Osaka, Japan – Osaka Jo Hall
- 09 August – Hiroshima, Japan – Hiroshima Prefectural Synthesis Gymnasium
- august 16 – Shanghai, China – Shanghai Grand Stage
- august 30 – Guangzhou, China – Guangzhou Stadium
- 07 September – Lima, Peru – Exposition Park amphitheater
- 19 September – Beijing, China – Railway Station Workers Stadium
- 24 September – Bangkok, Thailand – Thunder Dome
- Kim Hyun Joong Japan Tour “Gemini” 2015
- 27 and 28 January – Yokohama – Yokohama, Japan Yokohama International Conference Hall
- January 31 – Ishikiwa – Kanazawa Opera Hall
- 03 February – Miyagi – Sendai Sun Plaza
- 05 February – Aichi – Nagoya International Conference Hall
- February 08 – Niigata – Niigata Prefectural Assembly Hall
- February 09 – Fukuoka – Fukuoka International Convention Center
- February 10 – Hiroshima – Ueno Gakuen Hall
- February 12 – Kagawa – Kagawa Prefectural Assembly Hall
- February 14 – Osaka – Osaka International Conference Hall
- 18, 19 and 20 February – China – Makuhari Exhibition Hall
- Kim Hyun Joong Japan Tour “Inner Core” 2017
- 07 June – Shizuoka – Shizuoka Citizens Cultural Hall
- June 13 – Osaka – Orix Theatre
- June 16 – Aichi – Nippon Shogakui City Municipal Hall
- June 22 – Miyagi – Sendai Sun Plaza
- June 24 – Niigata – Niigata Telsa
- June 27 – Saitama – Omiya Sonic City Hall
- June 29 – Hiroshima – Hiroshima Cultural Academy Hall
- June 30 – Osaka – Grand Cube Osaka Main Hall
- July 03 – Fukuoka – Fukuoka Sun Palace
- 05 and 06 July – Kanagawa – Pacifico Yokohama National Convention Hall
- July 08 – Kagawa – Sunport Takamatsu Create Hall
- July 10 – Oita – Beppu Beacon Plaza Philharmonia Hall
- July 13 – Hokkaido – Wakuwaku Holiday Hall
- July 17 – Iwate – Morioka Civic Cultural Hall
- July 19 – Chiba – Ichikawa City Cultural Center
- July 22 – Tochigi – Tochigi Prefectural Integrated Cultural Centre
- July 24 – Hyogo – Kobe International Hall
- Kim Hyun Joong World Tour “HAZE” 2017-2018
- 02 December – Seoul, South Korea – Korea University Hwajeong High School
- February 17 – Bolivia – Jaime Laredo Theater
- February 20 – Chile – Coliseo Theater
- february 23 – Mexico – Fronton Mexico
- Kim Hyun Joong World Tour “Bio-Rhythm” 2019
- Sept 07 – Hong Kong, Mong Kok – MacPherson Stadium
- 06 October – Thailand, Bangkok – Show DC
- october 12 – Mexico, Mexico City – Frontón México
- october 16 – Bolivia, La Paz – Open air theater
- october 20 – Peru, Lima – Plaza Arena
Kim Hyun-Joong (SS501) Drama
- That Moment When Time Stops (KBS W, 2018).
- Inspiring Generation (KBS2, 2014)
- City Conquest (2012)
- Dream High (KBS2, 2011) Ep. 1
- Playful Kiss (MBC, 2010)
- Boys Over Flowers (KBS2, 2009)
- Spotlight (MBC, 2008, cameo)
- Hotelier (TV Asahi, 2007) cameo
- Nonstop 5 (MBC, 2005) cameo
- Can Love Be Refilled? (KBS2, 2005)
Kim Hyun-Joong (SS501) Films
- Indian Pink (2021)
- Shark Bait / Pie History (2006) voice
Kim Hyun-Joong (SS501) Awards
Kim Hyun-Joong (SS501) TV Programs
- Kiz On The Block (KBS2, 2013)
- Barefoot Friends (SBS, 2013)
- K-POP Star Conquering the Word (MBC, 2012)
- Happy C& (HBS, 2012)
- Running Man (SBS, 2011) Ep. 46-47
- Come To Play (MBC, 2011)
- Family Outing (SBS, 2009)
- Anycall Haptic Mission 2 (2009)
- Anycall Haptic Mission (2009)
- We Got Married (MBC, 2008) Wife Hwang Bo (couple “lettuce”)
Kim Hyun-Joong (SS501) Drama Themes
- PURELOVE subject for Ichi Peeji no Koi (2019)
- Just for My Love theme for That Moment When Time Stops (2018)
- After Today subject for Inspiring Generation OST (2014)
- If You’re like Me theme for Marriage Plot OST (2012)
- One More Time subject for Playful Kiss OST (2010)
- Because I’m Stupid (Acoustic Ver.) theme for Boys Over Flowers (2009)
- A Thing Called Happiness subject for Boys Over Flowers (2009)