James Lee (Royal Pirates) Facts
- Ex-K-Pop Group: Royal Pirates (2013-2017)
- Position Bassist and Vocalist.
- Education: CSU Fullerton (California State University, Fullerton)
- Residence: Heights Ranch.
- Languages: English, Korean.
- Hobbies: Swimming, water polo, basketball, playing guitar, acting, learning.
- James was on the college dean’s list and graduated with honors in the summer of 2010.
- He was a model before joining the band and a bass player in four bands before joining Royal Pirates.
- It is very close to Amber Liu Daniel Henney.
- He participated in one of the photo shoots with the models of America’s Next Top Model (2014).
Born in Los Angeles, California on June 9, 1988. Attended LASH (Los Altos High School), in Hacienda Heights, California. Graduated in 2006 and attended CSUF in Fullerton, California in the Communication program with a major in music; graduated in 2010. He was a model for a short time. James with a dandy image started his role as a bass player at the age of 16, participating in a metal band called “Azusa”; he later became part of an indie band called “Clear and Concious” (where he was the main character of the band), to help finance his studies in Communications. He had several jobs as a waiter, intern at Music Save Life and more. In addition to playing the six string guitar and trumpet in the fourth grade, his talent and strong musicality inclined towards understanding and analyzing the music industry, lead James to be the intellectual representative of Royal Pirates. A cheerful musician with a refreshing and luminous smile.
Serious accident affects his musical life.
In June 2015, the bassist suffered severe damage to his left wrist and shoulder that delayed the group’s return and for the guitarist necessitated a change of instruments.
In the first interview that he offers through Sports Donga in January 2016, James Lee recounted the details of the terrible accident that affected him: “I went to dinner at a restaurant in Seoul with a friend. I opened the door and looked for my friend, who had arrived before me. Then the wall of the steel and glass frame fell on me. The glass fell on my head and the strong frame gave way, crushing my left shoulder and my wrist.
The bassist lost consciousness and underwent an eight-hour surgery to reattach the wrist. Doctors had told him that he could always suffer the pain of severed nerves and gave him the option of cutting the wrist completely and wearing a prosthesis instead. He refused because he did not want to stop playing music. Due to excessive bleeding and the lengthy surgery he also had to receive blood transfusions until the edema in the artery healed.
As the pain and post-traumatic stress persisted and it became clear that he was unable to play bass, producer Jung Jae Yoon convinced him to take up the keyboard instead. Finally for the return of Royal Pirates james plays the keyboard instead of the bass guitar, which he had played for 13 years.
“It’s like a knife pressing into my skin,” James said of his injury. “I can’t forget the nightmare of that day.”.
His agency said: “After the accident, the restaurant has tried to have an amicable discussion through a lawyer. But how can you compensate for the future of a musician who knows nothing except music? We carried out the waiting while we were not sure how his injury could affect his music career, but now we will start a court procedure”.
Formerly very active in a variety of sports, James is undergoing physical therapy for his injury. Throughout the interview, he rolled a small yellow ball in his hand, an exercise designed to help regain feeling in damaged nerves. “That’s my hope,” he said.1.
Departure from Royal Pirates.
On January 31, 2017, it is announced that James will leave the group Royal Pirates to focus on his recovery after undergoing six wrist surgeries. He was also suffering from severe headaches and was diagnosed with a clot in his brain. James uploaded a photo on his instagram explaining the situation.
James Lee (Royal Pirates) Advertisement
- 2015: Mate Tea of the Sun (with SISTAR )
- 2014: Samsung Galaxy Note 4
- 2014: Lafuma Korea
- 2013 Sony Korea MDR TVN (CF)
- 2013: Shinhan Card
James Lee (Royal Pirates) Collaborations
- 2019: Neko x James (feat Song Ji Eun) – Combat
He composed and wrote:.
- See what I see (Song from his mini album; Drawing the line)
- Betting Everything (Single and part of the Mini-Album; Love Toxic)
James Lee (Royal Pirates) Radio Programs
- Kpop Daebak Show (DIVE Studios) (Ep. 59) (18.06.2020) (podcast)
- Music Acces (Arirang, 27.11.2014)
- What’s POPpin (TBS, 11/26/2014, as DJ).
- Music Acces (Arirang, 26.11.2014. as special DJ)
James Lee (Royal Pirates) TV Programs
- Match Made in Heaven Returns (MBC, 2015, Ep. 1-3)
- Star King (SBS, 01.31.2015)
- After School Club (ArirangTV, 17.12.2014).
- America’s Next Top Model (CW, 14.11.2014, Ep 13)
- After School Club (Arirang 2014, 01.10.2014)
- Law of the Jungle;Indian Ocean (SBS, 11.07.2014 to 05.09.2014)
- Simply Kpop (ArirangTV, 05.09.2014, as MC)
- Let’s Go Dream Team S2 (KBS2, 05.04.2014)
- Let’s Go Dream Team S2 (KBS2, 16.03.2014)
- After School Club (ArirangTV, 12.03.2014, besides Soyoon)
- JJANG! (12.03.2014, next to Soyoon)
- Let’s Go Dream Team S2 (KBS2, 12/15/2013)