Hyoyeon (Girls’ Generation) Facts
- Group Girls’ Generation
- Position: Vocalist, Dancer and Rapper.
- Sub-Unit Oh!GG
- Position Vocalist, Dancer and Rapper.
- Project Group: Younique Unit (inactive)
- Position: (Rapper, Vocalist and Dancer)
- Project Group: Triple T (inactive)
- Project Group: SM Town Orchestra (inactive)
- Project Group: Girls On Top
- Certificate of Education for High School Graduation (Passed)
- Language course (Mandarin) in Beijing-China
- Fanclub: Hyohunnies
- Casting: 2000 SM Casting System
- Training: 6 years and 1 month
- Languages: Korean, English, Chinese, Japanese (basic)
- Religion Christian
- Motto: Anyone who works hard will succeed.
- Mascot: She has two dogs named Barbara and Vivian
- Nicknames: Princess Fiona, Dancing Queen, Hyorengi (Tiger), Miss 23.
- I was in a group called “little winners” with Min, a former member of Miss A.
- She learned to dance jazz, Latin dance, and a variety of other styles when she was in elementary school. She was not interested in hip-hop dance until she entered high school.
- Hyoyeon attended a hip hop dance school specializing in waving, popping, locking, and animation. Before making her debut with Girls’ Generation was named the best dancer of SM.
- In 2004, she was sent to study Chinese in Beijing, along with her agency colleague Siwon she spent a year in China to improve her Mandarin.
- Participated along with BoA during her Dance Break, “Over the Top”, at the MKMF Awards in 2005.
- During 2013 she was part of the program “Dancing 9” along with Yuriwhich trained new talents to become K-Pop dance masters.
- On April 1, 2014 rumors of alleged assault on her boyfriend were spread, what started as a joke ended up in a situation with the police involved, Hyoyeon was warned not to create jokes of that kind of seriousness with the police. While the case was already over, the rumors surfaced on the internet to such an extent that SM had to respond legally to the rumor spreader.
- She has won a gold medal in skiing.
- She is the ambassador of TopShop HongKong.
At the age of 11 she auditioned for SM Entertainment through the SM 2000 Casting System.Hyoyeon said she had no intention of auditioning, but her mother was a fan of SM’s male group, H. O. T., and took her to the offices in hopes of seeing them.Hyoyeon began practicing dance in elementary school.In her neighborhood there was a small hip-hop school where in addition to that genre she learned to dance jazz and some Latin rhythms.In 1999, she enrolled at “Winners Dance School”. a famous dance school in South Korea where she met Min, a future member of Miss A. Later, Hyoyeon took dance lessons from “Electric Boogaloos” and was highlighted, prior to her debut with Girls’ Generation, by an appearance with BoA during the “Over the Top” dance break at the MKMF in 2005.
Hyoyeon started practicing dance in elementary school. In her neighborhood there was a small hip-hop school where she also learned to dance jazz and some Latin rhythms. In 1999, she enrolled at “Winners Dance School”. at that school she met the future member of Miss A: Min, with whom she formed a dance team called “Little Winners” (리틀위너스).
Hyoyeon received dance lessons from “Electric Boogaloos” and choreographers such as Kim Hye Rang, Poppin Seen, Kwang Hoo, Poppin DS, Kwon Seok-Jin and Shim Jae Won. She also worked with one of Justin Timberlake’s choreographers and some foreign teachers. Before making her debut with Girls’ Generation, she performed with BoA during the Dance Breack “Over the Top” at the MKMF in 2005.
On March 7, 2010, she made a cameo in the SBS drama “Oh My Lady!” starring Choi Siwon and Chae Rim, alongside co-stars Jessica and Sooyoung.On October 17, 2011, it was confirmed that Hyoyeon would be included in the second season of Invincible Youth 2, alongside her bandmate Sunny.Hyoyeon at the Diet Look Concert in September 2012.
On March 25, 2012, it was revealed that Hyoyeon would make an appearance on the second season of MBC’s Dancing with the Stars, which began airing on April 27. Hyoyeon and her partner ended up winning second place in the competition. On October 30, 2012, Hyoyeon posed for the beauty and fashion book, ‘0/1 Creative Book’. The first issue of ‘0/1 Creative Book’ featuring Hyoyeon was released on November 30. In the first issue of the book, Hyoyeon is the only celebrity selected to model, an indication of her popularity in the fashion world.
Hyoyeon participated as a member of the new dance unit called ‘Younique Unit’ of SM Entertainment, which has partnered with Hyundai to release its ‘PYL Younique Album’. The teaser for the music video of ‘Maxstep’, a song featuring Hyoyeon along with Eunhyuk of Super Junior, Henry of Super Junior-M, Taemin of SHINee, Kai of Exo-K and Luhan of Exo-M, was released on October 27. While the full music video was released on October 31, where the unit shows an impressive choreography for the electronic-dance song.
On March 13, 2013, Hyoyeon along with Min from Miss A and Han Ga In were invited to attend the “EEG&EMG Spring Banquet 2013” in Hong Kong as representatives of South Korea. The event was organized by a large entertainment company in China and many popular celebrities from China also attended. In May 2013, Hyoyeon was chosen as the Asia ambassador for the Hong Kong branch of British brand Topshop.
On June 17, 2013, it was revealed that Yuri with Hyoyeon and other celebrities would be appearing on Dancing 9 the two members of Girls’ Generation trained the participants to become “Kpop Dance Masters”. The participants of this new program come from different parts of the world.
Hyoyeon along with Super Junior’s Siwon participated in a photo shoot for the November 2013 issue of Italian fashion magazine, L’uomo Vogue, both were chosen by the magazine as representatives of South Korea.
On November 29, it was announced that she plans to make her solo debut with her single “Mystery” on December 2 as part of SM Station.
On April 18, 2018, her third solo album will be released, now under the pseudonym “HYO” which is titled “Sober” and is a collaboration with Dutch DJ Ummet Ozcan.
2020: Back with the digital single “Dessert”.
On July 10, it was reported that Hyoyeon was working on new music to release as DJ HYO. A source from SM Entertainment responded and stated “It is true that Hyoyeon is working on a new song, and it will be released in July.”.
It was announced that she would make her solo comeback with the digital single “Dessert” which was planned to be released on July 22nd at 6PM KST. The song features the collaboration of So Yeon from (G)I-DLE and the rapper Loopy..
“Dessert” is a Jungle Pop genre song with upbeat rhythms and lively moombahton beats, the song is co-written by Hyoyeon and the raps were written by So Yeon and Loopy. the lyrics express the message of wanting a “dessert” -like a sweet, simple love- instead of a complicated and difficult relationship.
Contract renewal with SM Entertainment
On September 8, a source from SM Entertainment revealed “YoonA, Taeyeon, Yuri, Sunny, and Hyoyeon of Girls’ Generation have renewed their contracts. We will support the members so that they can actively promote themselves in various fields in the future.”.
2021: Back with the digital single “Second”.
In an interview with Cosmopolitan magazine, Hyoyeon said she would release her new single in August. She hinted at her comeback by saying: “It is already that solo activity, I can easily choose the genre and concept that I want to realize.It will be different from the strong and powerful feeling that I have shown so far.I think it is a song that allows people to feel the season.It is very exciting and colorful.”.
On July 19 KST, a source from SM Entertainment confirmed “Hyoyeon (DJ HYO) will release a new single in August.”.
On Aug. 3 KST, it was confirmed that it would make its return on Aug. 9 at 6PM KST with the digital single “Second” in collaboration with BIBI..
“Second” is a summer dance pop song with diverse sounds including 808 bass, electric piano, trumpet and cowbells. The lyrics express that it is good to take a second to relax during the hectic everyday life BIBI participated in writing the lyrics and also appeared on the MV.
Hyoyeon (Girls’ Generation) Advertisement
- 2014 PUMA- push BUTTON& (together with Se Hun and Chan Yeol)
- 2013 The Vogue Man (besides Si Won)
- 2013: Topshop
- 2012: Hyundai PYL (with Eun Hyuk, Taemin, Henry Lau, Lu Han and Kai)
- 2011: Dior Snow
Hyoyeon (Girls’ Generation) Collaborations
- Lil Cherry – G! REMIX (Feat hYO) (2021)
- Kim Tae Yeon – Up & Down (feat. Hyo Yeon) (2016)
- Maxstep – (‘PYL Younique Album’ – Hyundai) – together with Eun Hyuk, Taemin, Henry Lau, Lu Han and Kai (2012)
Participatory Concerts and Festivals
- 2017: SMTOWN Live World Tour
- 2018 SMTOWN Live in Duabi
- 2018 BestOf Best concert in Taipei
- 2018 SMTOWN Live in Osaka
- 2018 Paradise city festival
- 2018 The station concert
- 2018 Sweet 17 Transmedia in indonesia
- 2018 : & World Dj Festival
- 2018 Smtown Workshop in Pyeongchang
- 2018 Lotte Water Park Go! Go! Water Dj Festival
- 2018 Spectrum Dance music festival
- 2018 Ummet Ozcan World Club Dome Korea
- 2018 Yellowwn EDM Festival
- 2018 Msonicfest Summit Gala in Singapore
- 2018 Maya music festival in bangkok
- 2019 SMTOWN live SPECIAL STAGE in Santiago
- 2019 : SMTOWN Live World Tour in Tokyo (03,04 and 05.08.2019)
- 2018 Muin Live
- 2018 Sober Club tour Made Club, Gangnam
- 2018 Sober Club tour Made Club, Cheongdam
- 2018 Sober Club tour Octagon Club, Gangnam
- 2018 Grand Opening Face Club, Gangnam
- 2018 Unknown Pleasure Party
- 2018 EDM Party Night rice in Busan
- 2018 Youtube Unboxed Event
- 2018 Punk Right Now Club Tour Octagon Club, Gangnam
- 2018 Punk Right Now Club Tour Club BURNING SUN, Seoul
- 2018 Punk Right Now Club Tour MADE Itaewon
- 2018 Blowsome Club In Busan
- 2019: ALTA Nightclub in Taichung,Taiwan
- 2019: Club GIRAFFE in Osaka, Japan
- 2019: Club SANGO in Nagoya, Japan
- 2019: Club NIJOU in Fukuoka, Japan
- 2019: Club Phuture in Zouk, singapore
- 2019 : Club SHINJUKU in Sapporo, Japan
Hyoyeon (Girls’ Generation) Drama
- Sazae-san 3 (Fuji TV, 2011) Cameo
- Oh! My Lady (SBS, 2010) Cameo
- Unstoppable Marriage (KBS2, 2007) Cameo
Hyoyeon (Girls’ Generation) Films
- SMTOWN the Stage (2015)
- I AM (2012)
- SMTOWN Live in Tokyo Special Edition (2012)
Hyoyeon (Girls’ Generation) TV Programs
- The Fishermen and the City (Channel A, 2020) Ep. 29 (besides Bo Mi)
- GOOD GIRL (Mnet, 2020)
- GIRLS FOR REST (Naver/JTBC, 2018).
- Secret Unnie (JBTC4, 2018, Together with Whee In)
- Hit The Stage (Mnet, 2016)
- Star Advent (2016)
- Channel Girls’ Generation (OnStyle, 2015)
- Hyoyeon’s Million Likes (OnStyle, 2015)
- Immortal Songs 2 (KBS, 2015, Ep. 190) – Companion to S
- Jessica & Krystal (Invited with Tiffany Young, 2014)
- Dancing 9 (Mnet, 2013, as judge)
- Dancing with the Stars- Season 2 (MBC, 2012)
- Invincible Youth Season 2 (KBS2, 2011-2012)
- Running Man (SBS, 2011) Ep. 63-64
- SPECIAL D-DAY (Y-STAR, 2010-2012)
- Hello Baby! (KBS Joy, 2009)
- Girls’ Generation’s Factory Girl (Mnet, 2008)
- Girls Generation (MTV, 2007)
- Girls Goes to School (Mnet, 2007)