Hwasa (MAMAMOO) Facts
- Group: MAMAMOO
- Position: Vocalist, Rapper, Dancer and Maknae.
- Voice type Light lyric soprano.
- Vocal Rank C#3 – E6 (3 octaves, 1 note and 1 semitone)
- Registration supported A3 – C5
- Project Group: Refund Sisters (2020)
- Position: Vocalist and maknae.
- Attended J Music Vocal School.
- Religion: Catholic
- Baptismal name: Maria.
- Some favorite artists: Beyonce and Rihanna.
- She chose her stage name “Hwasa” because she thought it was very original. She asked her manager before and she approved it, although “Hwasa” sounds like an adjective, in Korean it means “brilliant”.
- Wheein and Hwasa have been best friends since high school, both traveling to Seoul to fulfill their dream of becoming singers.
- Since she was a little girl, her only dream was to be a singer.
- She wrote a song called ‘Pink Panties’ using the instrumental of Robin Thicke’s song ‘Blurred Lines’.
- Your collaboration with Loco for the “Hyena on the keyboard” program, reached #1 weekly Gaon for four consecutive weeks, reached certified All Kill and Perfect All Kill, #1 monthly on digital (May 2018) Gaon.
- Achieved a position of #1 in Individual Girl Group Members Brand Big Data (individual girl group members brand reputation index) for June and December 2018.
- Modeled, together with Solar for Dazed Korea (June Edition), later, solo, for W Korea (September Edition) in 2018.
- She was the first female model for the chocolate brand ‘Crunky’.
- In her debut as a solo artist, she achieved All-Kill on the music charts in Korea with “Twit”.
- Achieved a position of #1 in Individual Girl Group Members Brand Big Data (individual girl group brand reputation index) for July, September, November and December 2019.
- Achieved a position of #1 in Brand Reputation for Women Advertisement Model for July and September 2019
- She sang with Henry mBC’s new brand song for 2019.
- She modeled for Dazed (April issue), Cosmopolitan (July issue) and Vogue (October issue) Korea in 2019.
- At the SBS Gayo 2019 presentation, Hwasa was seen wearing the “UNICEF TEAM” bracelet. Because of this, it was learned that Hwasa regularly donates to UNICEF’s campaign to protect/help suffering children around the world.
- She modeled for Elle (February issue), Vogue (November issue) and Elle (December issue) Korea in 2020.
- Achieved a position of #1 in Individual Girl Group Members Brand Big Data (individual girl group members brand reputation index) by April 2020.
- She modeled for Vogue (February issue), W (March issue) and Harper’s Bazaar (April issue) Korea in 2021.
Hwasa officially debuted as a member of the all-female quartet MAMAMOO on June 19, 2014, being one of the leading voices.
2019: Debut as a solo artist with the Digital Single “Twit”.
On January 22, it was reported that she was preparing to release a solo album. her agency, RBW, confirmed this “Hwa Sa of MAMAMOO is preparing a solo album with the goal of releasing it in February. The exact release timing or form of the album has not yet been decided.”.
It was announced that Hwa Sa would make her solo debut on Feb. 13 at 6PM KST with the digital single “Twit”.
“Twit” is a song that features trap beats with tropical elements, and its unique vocal color stands out when the lyrics talk about a person who calls herself a fool for not being able to take care of a loved one. Hwa Sa participated as co-composer and co-writer of the song’s lyrics.
Upon its release it achieved an All-Kill in the Korean music charts.
It topped the iTunes K-Pop singles chart in 11 countries and the entire iTunes songs chart in 4 countries. Including this, it was included in the top 10 in 19 countries. It also reached the #92 spot on iTunes in the US.
In February, it ranked fifth in Melony’s monthly chart and fourth in Gaon’s monthly chart.
In 2019, it ranked 30th on Gaon’s annual list and 41st on Melon’s annual list.
2020: Back with her first mini-album “Maria”.
On June 1, Korean news outlet Sports DongA reported that she was currently busy preparing for her comeback, aiming for a late June release.
The agency, RBW, confirmed it was preparing for a solo comeback in June. The agency source, stated “Hwa Sa is currently preparing a new solo album, with the goal of releasing it at the end of June. We will notify you once her comeback date has been decided.”.
On June 15 at 12PM KST, the first teaser for her comeback with her first solo mini-album was revealed, and it was also revealed that the mini-album and title track would be titled “Mary” (which refers to its baptismal name), and would be launched on June 29 at 6PM KST.
On June 22 KST, shared the track listing for their new album, which will contain a total of seven songs, including the title track “Mary” her previous single “Twit” and, a new song produced by zICO, “Kidding” it also contains a song that features the participation of DPR Live call “I’m bad too”.
Hwa Sa participated in the composition and lyrics of the title song,“Mary” in the lyrics, she sings about being hurt by others but crying and defending herself once again.
After the release, the album charted #1 on the iTunes Top Albums charts in 20 regions around the world, including the United States, Austria, Brazil, Brunei, Cambodia, Colombia, Canada, Costa Rica, Hong Kong, Mexico, Oman, the Philippines, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan and Turkey. In addition, Hwa Sa has become the first female solo artist from Korea to top the U.S. iTunes Top Albums chart.
The theme song, “Maria” also ranked first in six regions worldwide, and the music video ranked second in YouTube’s global trends.
After its launch, “Mary” achieved a longevity of 95 consecutive days in the Top 5 of the MelOn Chart – Top 100 Daily, in addition to achieving a longevity of 14 consecutive weeks in the Top 5 of the GAON Streaming Chart (tying with Ailee’s I Will Go To You Like The First Snow, the only songs in GAON’s history to record that mark). “Mary” also achieved a longevity of 16 weeks in the Melon Chart Top 10 – Top 100 weekly.
On its first day of sales, the album sold over 32.8k copies and for its first week it registered over 48.7k copies on Hanteo. On the Gaon Chart of monthly album sales it accumulated 66,121 copies.
2021: Renewal of contract with RBW
On March 30, RBW shared “We recently renewed our contract with Hwa Sa of MAMAMOO. Although we have spent a lot of time together in faith and trust, we plan to fully support not only Hwasa’s group activities, but also her individual activities.”.
Back with her First Single Album “Guilty Pleasure”.
On September 29, Sports Chosun reported that Hwa Sa was preparing to make her solo comeback and aims to release her new album within this year.
Following the report, an RBW source shared with YTN Star “Hwa Sa is steadily working on her solo album. But the exact timing of the release has not been decided, and we will share an announcement in the future once it is decided.”.
On November 10 at 12PM KST, it was announced that she would officially make her solo comeback in November and, this, accompanied by the release of a video trailer.
On November 11 at 12PM KST, it was announced that she would be making her comeback with her first single album “Guilty Pleasure” the album contains three songs, the title track being the title track “I’m a B” this was confirmed with the track list released on November 15.
The dictionary meaning of the album name (Guilty Pleasure) is “It’s embarrassing to talk to others or feel it for yourself, but nevertheless, it’s a fun thing to do once you do it.” whatever it is, it is a feeling of happiness that is proportional to the feeling of guilt, in fact, this is also due to instinct. Of course, it is not a natural and rational solution, but it can be a stimulant that is hard to deny at times.
“I’m a B” is composed and written by Gustav Landell, Kristin Carpenter, Simon Jonasson and Musikality, and Hwa Sa, Park Woo Sang and Hae Da Young also worked on the lyrics.The heavy bass and trendy sounds represent Hwa Sa’s inner side, which shines like light.The addictive hook and wonderfulness of her voice will make listeners come back again and again.In this song, Hwa Sa is immersed in her greed to become stronger and perfect and cast shadows around her like a spotlight, but in a moment when she completely let go, swallowed by the shadows, she becomes a very big and self-confident talking point.
On its first day of sales, the album sold about 10.2k copies and for its first week it registered about 21.3k copies on Hanteo. On the Gaon Chart of monthly album sales it accumulated 30,359 copies.
Initial sales of Hwa Sa’s album dropped drastically compared to her previous album, as the suspension in China was prolonged due to the exclusive actions of an agency employee. Of the 48,000 copies sold in the first week of the previous album, about 25,000 copies were made in China, so the purchase volume of domestic albums can be estimated at about 23,000 copies, suggesting that the purchasing power of mainstream albums in Korea is similar to that of the previous album.
Hwasa (MAMAMOO) Advertisement
- 2020 Tommy Jeans
- 2020 Sense Mom
- 2020-2021: KISS NEWYORK
- 2020: Adidas Running Campaign ‘Faster than’
- 2020 SIMS 4
- 2020 Lotte Chilsung
- 2019-2020: Ottogi Noodle
- 2019 Johncook Deli Meats
- 2019: Urban decay
- 2019: Everland Caribbean Bay
- 2019: Rarekind
- 2019: Coca-Cola’s Gold Peak Tea
- 2019 lotte Homeshopping ‘Hwazakaya’.
- 2019 LG OLED TV
- 2018-2019: Tomato Toeic
- 2018: Lotte’s Crunky Gold
- 2018: The North Face
- 2018: Subway
- 2017: LG Gaming Monitor
Hwasa (MAMAMOO) Collaborations
- Show Me The Money 10 – 지나고 보면 (Feat. Hwasa &. Mino) (Prod. by Gray) (2021)
- DPR LIVE – Hula Hoops (Feat. Hwasa, Beenzino) (2021)
- Uhm Jung Hwa – Hop In (Feat. Hwasa, DPR LIVE) (2020)
- ONEWE – Q (Feat. Hwasa) (2020)
- Dua Lipa- Physical remix (Feat. Hwasa) (2020)
- Kim Hyun Chul – Loving One Person (con Whee In) (2019)
- K.Will – Treat Me Bad (Feat. Hwasa) (2018)
- Loco X Hwasa – Don’t (2018).
- Woodie Gochild – Cotton Candy (Feat. Hwasa) (2018)
- San E – I Am Me (Feat. Hwasa) (2017)
- HIGH4 20 – Hook-Ga (Feat. Hwasa) (2016)
- Basick – Nice (Feat. Hwasa, G2) (2016)
- Suran – Ddang (Feat. Hwasa) (2016)
- Kisum – Love Talk (Feat. Hwasa) (2015)
- Basick& Lil boi – Call Me (Feat. Hwasa) (2015)
- Primary – Mileage (Feat. Hwasa) (2015)
- Ja Mezz – Drinks Up (Feat. Hwasa) (2015)
- BaeChiGi – Boy Jump (Feat. Hwasa) (2014)
- Standing Egg – Break Up for You, Not Yet for Me (with Hwasa, Park Shin Hye) (2013).
- PHANTOM – Fingernail (Feat. Hwasa) (2013)
Hwasa (MAMAMOO) Music
Hwasa (MAMAMOO) Drama
- Entourage (tvN, 2016) Ep. 1
Hwasa (MAMAMOO) Radio Programs
- Cultwo show (SBS, 09.07.2019, as special DJ)
- KPOP Planet (KBS, 2015, as official DJ)
Hwasa (MAMAMOO) TV Programs
- No Prepare (04.02.2022) (Ep. 14)
- Jessi’s Showterview (SBS, 25.11.2021) Ep. 77
- Come back home (KBS2, 2021, with Wheein) Ep. 1
- I Live Alone (MBC, 2019-present, cast member)
- Hangout with Yoo: Refund Sisters (MBC, 2020) Ep.56-68
- I Live Alone: spin-off Girls’ Secret Party (MBC, 2020, cast member)
- Telegna (SBS, 2020) Ep. 5
- Hidden Singer 6 (JTBC, 2020) Ep. 14-15
- MBC Entertainment Awards (MBC, 2019, as. hostess)
- Yoo Hee Yeol’s Sketchbook (KBS2, 2019, besides Whee In and Kim Hyun Chul) Ep. 444
- We Will Channel You (SBS, 2019) Ep. 17
- Amazing Saturday (tvN, 2019, with Solar) Ep. 50
- Yoo Hee Yeol’s Sketchbook (KBS, 2019) Ep. 430,433-434-435,459
- Radio Star (MBC, 2019) Ep. 602
- Happy Together 4 (KBS2, 2018) Ep.565
- I Live Alone (MBC, 2018, regular cast member)
- Please Take Care of My Refrigerator (jTBC, 2018) Ep. 192 and 193
- Let’s Eat Dinner Together (jTBC, 2018, together with. Solar) Ep. 90
- Life Bar (tvN, 2018, with Whee In) Ep. 78
- Knowing Brother (jTBC, 2018). Ep. 128
- Hyena on the keyboard (KBS2, 2018) Ep 7-8
- King of Mask Singer (MBC, 2017) Ep. 111-112
- Hip Hop Nation (jTBC, 2016)
- Star King (SBS, 2016, together with Moon Byul and Whee In)
- 100 people 100 Songs (jTBC, 2015, along with. Whee In)
Hwasa (MAMAMOO) TV Drama’s
- Orbit subject for The King: Eternal Monarch (2020)