1999: Pre-debut and trainee days .
Hwang Bo was discovered by producer and comedian Lee Sang-min, while working at a pasta restaurant. Before her debut, she was apprenticed to Lee Sang-min herself, while also being part of the band “Bros” in 1999.
2000-2006: Debut and fame leap .
Hwang Bo debuted in 2000 as part of girl group Chakra. The group officially debuted on February 24 at the music c& with their first single “One” and in March of the same year they released their first album “Come a Come”, winning many rookie awards. Although she debuted as the lead vocalist and rapper, later as an older member she became the leader. The first single from Chakra’s second album released in 2001, became the first number one hit in South Korea. Chakra released their last album “Tomato” in 2003 and officially disbanded in early 2006 due to financial difficulties. Chakra became one of the most iconic Korean girl groups of its generation, sharing credits with other popular girl groups such as S.E.S, Fin.K.L and Baby V.O.X. It was she herself who opposed the dissolution of the group.
Hwang Bo also appeared frequently in various variety programs, including SBS’s “X-Man” and “Love Letter”. This is where she cultivated an unfeminine image, due to her strong gestures of directness and simplicity. This led to her being nicknamed in the entertainment scene as “the general”.
2007-2010: Solo career and rising popularity.
About three years after Chakra’s fourth studio album, her debut solo album titled “Lady in Black” was released in March 2007. The hit song “Sorry for the tears” marked a change in her image as it was a ballad. The debut solo album consisted of thirteen songs that demonstrated her talent and singing ability.
In May 2008, Hwang Bo joined MBC reality show ‘We Got Married’, where she paired up with SS501 leader Kim Hyun Joong. The couple gained great popularity. Dubbed as the lettuce couple, they won an ‘MBC Entertainment Award’ for the best couple on December 28, 2008. Due to scheduling conflicts, Kim Hyun Joong and Hwangbo made their official exit from the show on December 14. That same year due to her popularity, she became a fashion icon and one of the most popular singers.
She released the digital single “Gift for Him” in mid-2008.The title track titled “Get Hot” (“뜨거워 져”) took her to stardom in Europe, becoming the first Korean to achieve this.The dance also became very popular among the Korean public which resulted in the popular Tecktonik fashion dance (known as the Tecktonik wave).The remix was performed by Koo Junyup as well as the dance to the song.She also released the single “Mature” as part of the two-song release Gift For Him.
On August 18, 2009, she released the mini Ep album titled “R2song” in South Korea, which included her previous singles. The title track of the same name was first released on August 7, 2009 in the UK, ranking #1 on JunoDowload. This was the first time an Asian singer managed to top a European chart, which was considered by the Asian media as a feat. Eventually, three other versions of R2song were released mixed by producer “Postino”. The single was also successful in Korea, ranking #1 on the “Mnet” account and entering the top 10 on several charts.
During her break from her singing activities, she hosted several TV shows such as: “Nodaji”, “Finding Delicious” and “Human Mentor”. Also during 2008 and 2009, she was a member of the first season of “Infinity Girls”, an all-female version of “Infinite Challenge”, aired on MBC Every 1. Furthermore, in 2010, she was one of the 5 MCs of “Midnight Idols” along with SS501’s Kim Hyung Jun, Kim Chang Ryul, Eun Ji-won and Kim Sung-soo.
In September 2010, she held a fan meeting in Thailand, stopping me in several cities and attracting attention in that country.
After more than a year of her previous mini album, the digital single “I`m Still Beautiful” was released at the end of October 2010.The song topped several charts in Canada.Moreover, the mv of the song is a simple video, but one in which its high quality stands out.The close-up of HwangBo at the beginning of the mv has an explosion of emotions and it`s funny how even with makeup she feels like he`s naked, even more than when she actually has a clean face.Not to mention that the lyrics of the song are perfect for any woman who knows how to value herself and love herself.Notably, this digital single has marked her absence in the music industry for almost eight years.
2011-2013: Active as an actress and in entertainment .
In 2011, she focused mainly as an actress. In August, she played a role in the SBS sitcom “Oh My God”, playing a charismatic wife, demonstrating her extraordinary charm and gaining high ratings. In November that year, she participated in the musical “Nun Feeling”, which lasted for about three months, being praised for showing strong singing power.
In 2012, I also participated in MBN drama “Can Love become Money”, playing a leading role and getting a good evaluation.
Since then, Hwang Bo only participated in the third season of “Infinity Girls”, without any personal work. Program in which she would have participated during 2008 and 2009 and in which she returned at the end of 2010. During that time she entered an incubation period, being seen many times in Hong Kong, from late 2012 to early 2013, which generated much speculation and discussion among advocates.
At the end of 2013, after the end of Infinity Girls filming, HwangBo stepped away from the entertainment industry and was no longer seen to be driving the debate.
2014-2016: Away from a life as a celebrity.
during a period of about three years away from the entertainment scene, on March 31, 2014, she officially established the personal clothing store “! BOGO!” ; On April 18, a private coffee shop “muah punctual” was opened in the Mapo area of Seoul. Previously, on February 5, 2011, she officially entered the restaurant business with her trusted friend and colleague Shim Tae Yoon, currently co-owner of the branch “Shimsontang” located in the Mapo-gu district northwest of Seoul, South Korea.
2016-present: Return .
After leaving the entertainment industry for a few years, she appeared almost at the end of 2016 on MBC’s documentary “I Like People” for the Dec. 4 episode. The 37-year-old artist said she had been busy attending to the needs of her parents, especially after the brain hemorrhage her father had suffered in 2014. Meanwhile, in her other interview with “SBS PowerFM,” the Hallyu star talked about her reaction whenever strangers approached her during a trip. In October that year, she was the emcee of the debut of girl group “Bulldok.”.
Hwang Bo is still continuing her modeling work, participating in the “Seoul Fashion Week” as one of the models of Korean designer Imseonoc.
Since 2017, she has remained active on television as a recurring guest on several variety shows, including appearing in 2018 for episode 108 of “Knowing Bros.”.
- Music Group: Chakra 2000-2004
- Education: SangBong Elementary
- JunNong Girls’ Jr. High
- BaeSung High School
- Seoul University
- Hobbies: Singing
- Specialties: Exercise and rap
- She is a licensed racing driver and a black belt in Tae-Kwon-Do.
- She is considered the best female rapper in Korea
- It is a Hallyu star
- She was chosen as a member and lead vocalist of the group while working as a waitress in a pasta restaurant.
- After leader Eani left the group, Hwangbo became the group’s leader in 2001 and was replaced by Bona as lead vocalist.
- It has a good relationship with Jun Jinfrom Shinhwa and Marcowith whom she met in We Got Married.
- Her childhood dream was to be a security guard, a policeman, a soldier and an artist.
- Her hobbies are listening to music, writing letters and taking photographs.
- In her second year of high school she fell in love with her Tae-Kwon-Do instructor
- There was a time of rumors that Hwang Bo and singer Jun Jinwere dating, but both took it as a joke and denied it since they are just best friends.
- She is the best friend of all Shinhwa Group members.
- Hwang Bo made a prank phone call to Jun Jinsaying that she had accepted an offer of a full nude photo shoot for a large amount of money but she didn’t want to do it anymore, Jun Jin didn’t think much about it and said why did she accept? if she could cancel it? if it was going to be in magazines?…… Hwang Bo laughed because Jun Jin looked very worried.
- She has her full name and a flower tattooed on her back.
- In the “Midnigth Idol” program, Lee Sung Jong from INFINITE had her first kiss with Hwang bo playing pepero.
- Participated with Kim Hyun Joong in the variety program We Got Married (the lettuce couple)
- According to Kim Hyun Joong i cook quite well, so I also cook for the entire group of SS501
- She performed a gala where she danced with her virtual husband Here
- She is the ideal woman of many idols in Asia.
- Her ideal name is Kang Dong Won.
- Her father suffered a stroke and since then she has been taking care of her and spending money on her recovery.
- 2003: Orion
- 2003: Bekseju Kooksoondang
HwangBo Dramas and Comedies
- Can Love Become Money (MBN,2012)
- Reply 1997 (TVN, 2012) Cameo
- Oh My God (SBS, 2011)
- Kim and Lee (2010)
- Wath Women Want (MBC, 2004)
- Ireland (MBC, 2004) Cameo
- Nonstop 2 (MBC, 2001) Cameo besides Chakra
- 2011-2012: Now sensation
- Emergency Act19 (2002) Cameo besides Chakra
- Love of South and North (2003)
- Goodbye Fot Just Awhile (2004)
HwangBo TV Programs
- Happy Together 4 (KBS2, 2018), (Ep.12)
- Knowing Brother (2018) Ep.128
- Legend of God of Music 2 (2016)
- Infinity Girls (MBC, 2012)
- Infinity Girls 3 (MBC every1, 2010-2013)
- Midnight Idols (MBC, 2010)
- Human Mentor (어깨동무) (KBS Joy, 2010).
- Infinity Girls Season 1 (MBC every1, 2007-2009)
- Finding Delicious TV (MBC, 2009)
- Idol Show (MBC, 2008)
- We Got Marriedwith Kim Hyun Joong (The Lettuce Couple) (MBC, 2008)
- Make It Beauty (SBS MTV, 2007)
- X-Man (SBS, 2004-2007)
- Love Letter (SBS, 2005-2006)
HwangBo Music Videos
- JnC – But (2004)
- Cl – Another Day (2004)
- Compassion – Because of Love (2009)