CL (2NE1) Facts
- Ex K-Pop Group: 2NE1 (2009-2016)
- Position Leader, Rapper, Dancer and Vocalist.
- Debut: 2009, SBS Gayo Daejun (December 29/2007) with the YG Family.
- Languages Korean (Mother tongue) / Japanese (Fluent) / English (Fluent) / French (Fluent).
- Hobbies listening to music, sewing, collecting accessories and shopping.
- Fanclub: BlackJacks / Gizibe.
- He was a trainee at JYP Entertainment.
- She was involved in a scandal. On September 2, 2011 in Japan, due to the flashy polo shirt that had offensive language according to the fans, they did not stop commenting on it and turned it into a big controversy.
- When she was in Japan, she and the rest of the members of 2NE1 met the singer Kyary Pamyu Pamyu with whom they took a picture.
- She is considered one of the best female rappers along with Yubin from Wonder Girls, Amber from F (x) and Miryo from Brown Eyed Girls.
- Dara told in a program that CL saved her life in a 9.0 earthquake in Japan. Chae Rin climbed up to the floor where Dara CL said, “I thought that if we were going to die, I’d rather we die together, so that’s why I went to find Sandara”.
- She composed and wrote five songs for the new album by 2NE1 ” Crush” including the Korean version of “Scream “.
- She is the muse of the famous fashion designer Jeremy Scott.
- Park John Park said that her chin is really beautiful. This was told by her on a TV show, in which she met CL at the ’20 ‘s Choice’ awards and was able to confess how much she liked it.
- On March 27, I walk down the runway at the ‘DKMY!’ fashion show in honor of 25th Anniversary in its Spring 2014 collection held at W Seoul Wallkerhill Vista Hall in Gwangjingu, Seoul.
- She is characterized by her strength on stage and for looking like a very tough girl, although thanks to 2NE1 TV she could be presented as she really is.
- At the MAMA AWARDS 2011 CL sang with Will.i.am and Apl.de.ap of Black Eyed Peas “Where is the love”.
- She often wears glasses or looks away in her photos or videos because of her strabismus in her eyes.
- In a radio interview, ChaeRin stated that she used to wear a boy’s uniform to school, as they did not have pants for girls.
- Her dream is to become an American Rapper like Lil Kim.
- She is the translator of the foreign dancers among the local dancers.
- CL was raised Roman Catholic.
- She wrote her part of the rap part of the song of G-Dragon” The Leaders.
- She parodied Carly Rae’s song alongside Justin Bieber and Ariana Grande.
- She enjoys reading, taking selfies, drawing books.
- She admitted that she expects to have a future meeting with 2NE1 and that she will always be ready to dance FIRE with them.
- The song MTBD from 2NE1’s album CRUSH performed by CL can be heard in the shoe parade of episode number 5 of the American series “Lucifer”.
- The music video “Hello Bitches” is rated +18.
- On the December 21 broadcast of ‘Livin’ the Double Life ‘, CL unveiled a new track titled “I’ll Be There”. As the title says, the song portrays CL’s promise to be there for her waiting fans. She further explained “This song is my feelings right now. i think it expresses the things i’m feeling. like the title says, wait for me. i’ll be there.”
- On the Dec. 28, 2017, broadcast of Living The Double Life, CL revealed that all of the former members of 2NE1 had to go on a diet due to Dara she explained “How were we supposed to be next to someone weighing 39kg? We couldn’t help it, we looked so big next to Dara.”.
- On New Year’s Day 2018, CL shared a teaser of an unreleased music video. On Instagram, CL wrote that last year at this time, she promised herself that she would release new music in 2017. As a gift to her fans, she shared a teaser of an unreleased music video that she filmed over a year ago. CL added that she decided to release the teaser video even though she might get in trouble for it.
- On November 8, 2019, it was reported that she decided not to renew her contract with her company for 10 years, YG , thus ending her cycle in the company, YG released an official statement explaining: “Hi. This is YG Entertainment. Respecting mutual opinions, we reached an agreement with CL to end her exclusive contract. We express our deep gratitude to the fans who have come forward for CL, who has shined with her activities as a YG artist. In YG, CL debuted with 2NE1 in 2009, and while promoting as a leader and rapper, she led trends in various areas, including music and fashion. She also left a significant mark in the history of K-pop when she became the first Korean solo artist to appear on the Billboard Hot 100 on October 12, 2016.We ask much interest and support for CL’s new activities, and YG will also encourage her with unchanging confidence and affection. Thank you.”
- On November 16, 2020, CL notified her followers on her Instagram of her decision to reschedule the release of her album “ALPHA”, originally scheduled for November 30. The reason for the rescheduling of her album is because while she was preparing the album she had new ideas and opportunities so being her first physical album it is significant for her and needs more preparation, so it is believed it will be released in 2021.3
- She is the first Korean solo artist to star in an American TV commercial, the commercial is for the fast food restaurant chain, Taco Bell.
- On February 10, 2021, CL’s agency stated: “CL’s mother, Hong Yoo Ra, who was living abroad at the time, passed away due to a heart attack at the age of 53 on Jan. 23. “The agency continued: “The funeral will be held over three days beginning February 10 and the burial will take place on February 12. Due to the COVID-19 situation, the funeral will be held in silence with only family and close friends present. “The statement concluded: “Please send messages of comfort and encouragement to CL. May the deceased rest in peace. thank you “.
- On February 26, her 30th birthday, CL released the music video for “Wish You Were Here.” The video is a tribute to her late mother, Hong Yoo Ra, who had passed away in January. On Instagram, CL wrote “Every year, our birthdays should be a celebration of the Gift of Life our mothers gave us. This year, I made ‘Wish You Were Here’ for my mother, my family and anyone else who misses a loved one. If you love someone, tell them now.”
- CL was chosen as the only Korean artist to be featured in Google’s Women’s History Month 2021 video of the month.
- CL has partnered with Lyft for a new #StopAsianHate campaign to help the AAPI (Asian American and Pacific Islander) community travel safely.
CL was born in Seoul (South Korea), but spent much of her youth in different countries due to her father’s occupation as a physics professor, such as Japan, France or the U.S. When she was a teenager, her family took up permanent residence back in South Korea, where influenced by her father she decided to become a singer and auditioned for YG Entertainment after seeing her potential.
She was accepted in 2006, and during her training she collaborated on the song Intro (Hot Issue) by BIGBANG later that year she made her first stage debut at the Seoul Broadcasting System Music Awards alongside her label mates at YG Entertainment. It was in 2008 that she made her first appearance with Uhm Jung Hwa with the song “DJ”, then followed by the song “What” from YMGA (already part of the YG Family). CL was scheduled to debut as a solo artist, but eventually became the frontwoman of 2NE1.
CL (2NE1) Advertisement
- 2017: Adidas (HEREFORCREATE)
- 2016: Maybelline
- 2014: Adidas (#allinfordance)
- 2012 Adidas (all original represent)
- 2012 Cass Light with Lee Dong Wook
- 2011 Nikon with 2NE1
- 2009 LG Lollipop with 2NE1 and Big Bang
CL (2NE1) Collaborations
- 2021: Epic High – Rosario (Feat. CL, Zico)
- 2020: DPR IAN – No Blueberries (Feat DPR LIVE, CL)
- 2020: Kim Ximya – Looooose Controlla (Feat. CL)
- 2020: Uzuhan – A Breath (Feat. Sam Ock, CL)
- 2019: PKCZ®& Afrojack – CUT IT UP (Feat. CL)
- 2018: Black Eyed Peas – DOPENESS (Feat. CL)
- 2017: Lil Yatchy – Surrender (Feat. CL and Shaiana)
- 2016: Okasian – ₩ 1,000,000 (Feat. CL, BewhY, & G-dragon)
- 2016: Will.i.am – SUPERDOPE (Feat. CL)
- 2015: Iggy Azalea (Feat. CL) – Calling / I Found U
- 2015: PSY – Daddy
- 2015: Diplo x CL x RiFF RAFF x OG Maco – Doctor Pepper
- 2014: Skrillex (feat G-Dragon, CL& Diplo) – Dirty Vibe
- 2014: Taeyang (feat. CL) – Love You To Death
- 2014: Taeyang (feat. CL) – Body
- 2013: Lee Hyo Ri (feat. CL) – Bad Girls (SBS, Gayo Daejun)
- 2013: Icona Pop (feat. CL) – I Love It (Mnet Asian Music Awards)
- 2013: Lee Seung Hwan (feat. CL) – DISCO (SBS, Super Match)
- 2013: G-Dragon (feat. CL) – R.O.D (SBS, Inkigayo)
- 2013: Lee Hi (feat. CL) – Rose (SBS, Inkigayo)
- 2012: Sung Si Kyung (feat. CL) – Because I Love You (SBS, Gayo Daejun)
- 2011: Black Eyed Peas (feat. CL) – Where Is The Love (Mnet Asian Music Awards)
- 2009: Sandara Park (feat. CL) – Kiss
- 2009: G-Dragon (feat. CL & Teddy Park) – The Leaders
- 2008: YMGA (feat. YG Family) – What
- 2008: Uhm Jung Hwa (feat. CL) – DJ
- 2007: G-Dragon (feat. CL) – Hot Issue
CL (2NE1) Drama
- Style (SBS, 2009) cameo
CL (2NE1) Films
- Mile 22 (2018)
CL (2NE1) TV Programs
- SuperBand 2 (jTBC, 2021)
- Livin’ the Double Life (tvN, 2017)
- MIXNINE (jTBC, 2017)
- The Late Late Show with James Corden (CBS, 2016) (United States)
- Guerrilla Date together with 2NE1 (KBS, 2013)
- Beatles Code together with 2NE1 (Mnet, 2013)
- SBS Incarnation together with Dara (SBS, 2013)
- Running Man (ep. 156) together with 2NE1 (SBS, 2013)
- Enemy of Broadcastings (Mnet, 2013)
- Super Match (SBS, 2013)
- Shabekuri 007 together with 2NE1 (NNN, 2012) (Japan)
- Project Runway Korea S3 (OnStyle, 2011)
- 2NE1TV Season 3 Live: Worldwide (Mnet, 2011)
- 2NE1TV Season 2 (Mnet, 2010)
- 2NE1TV (Mnet, 2009)
- No Better Feelin’ theme for My Little Pony: The Movie (2017)
- Hello Bitches Tour 2016
- 29 October – New York, USA – Hammerstein Ballroom
- october 31 – Seatlle, USA – Showbox Sodo
- November 01 – Vancouver, Canada – Vogue Theatre
- november 03 – San Francisco, USA – Warlfied Theater
- november 04 – Los Angeles, USA – Microsoft Theater
- november 06 – Dallas, USA – Bomb Factory
- 08 November – Atlanta, USA – Center Stage
- november 10 – Chicago, USA – Chicago Theater
- november 14 – Toronto, Canada – Sound Academy
- CL Europe Concert ALPHA 2021
- november 30 – London, United Kingdom – XOYO