Baekhyun (EXO) Facts
- Group: EXO
- Position: Vocalist and Dancer.
- Symbol Light
- Sub-Unit: EXO-CBX
- Position Vocalist, Rapper and Dancer.
- Group: Super M
- Position: Leader, Vocalist and Dancer.
- Voice type: Light Lyric Tenor.
- Vocal range: F#2 ~ C#6 (3 octaves, 3 notes and 1 semitone).
- Registration supported: C#3 ~ G#4/A4
- Jung Won High School. (Graduate)
- KyungHee Cybernetics University (Business Administration)
- Religion Christian
- Training 1 year
- Rolemodels: Rain
- Favorite colors: Network.
- During high school, he was in a school band, and participated in a rock festival, winning the award for best band. He then joined SM down the street when he was practicing for an exam to get into a music school, a representative asked him if he wanted to join.
- He sang the national anthem of Korea, in the friendly soccer match, South Korea vs. Peru in 2013.
- At the Music Bank of Mexico, he surprised fans by performing with his EXO-K bandmates, (Chanyeol, Suho and D.O ) the popular bolero by Álvaro Carrillo, in Luis Miguel’s version, “Sabor a mí”.
- He was chosen as one of the 100 Most Handsome Faces of 2014 (The 100 Most Handsome Faces of 2014) ranking #38
- Maintained a public relationship with Taeyeon from Girls Generation since June 2014, and terminated (according to a media article) in September 2015.
- He volunteered at the RCY shelter, where he helped disabled children, played with them and tidied up the facilities.
- In the middle of his older brother’s marriage, sasaengs invaded the venue waiting for EXO. Baekhyun’s cousin said that the moment everyone arrived, the sasaengs came out pushing relatives, even came close to them, taking pictures and filming them. This caused a big chaos and shock for all the guests. After a big commotion, the venue guards managed to get all the sasaengs out of the venue. The guys felt very bad about everything that happened, especially Baekhyun, who showed great indignation. In response to this, a sasaeng posted a threat to Baekhyun on his website.
- On January 6, the video of the collaboration between him and Suzy from Miss A with the song ‘Dream’, which ranked No. 1 on several charts in Korea and stayed there for several weeks.
- On February 14 was published the video of the collaboration of Soyou from SISTAR and he with the song ‘Rain’, which achieved an All-Kill.
- In 2020 Baekhyun achieved the title of “Million Seller” (1 million copies sold) with his mini album Delight.
- On March 26, 2021, Baekhyun announced during a broadcast on his personal Instagram account that he will enlist as an active duty soldier on May 6. The time and location are private, and no separate events will be held.
About the Artist
Baekhyun was born on May 6, 1992 in Bucheon, Gyeonggi Province, South Korea. He has a brother named Byun Baek-beom who is seven years older than him. Baekhyun began training to be a singer when he was 11 years old, influenced by South Korean singer Rain. He attended Jungwon High School in Bucheon, where he was the singer of a band called Honsusangtae (lit. “coma”) and won a local music festival. He received piano lessons from Kim Hyun-woo, a member of the South Korean rock band DickPunks. In addition to musical activities, Baekhyun trained as a martial artist in his youth and holds a black belt in Hapkido.
Baekhyun was discovered by an agent from SM Entertainment while studying for the entrance exams for the Seoul Institute of the Arts. He later joined SM Entertainment in 2011 through the S.M Casting System together with other members EXO, Chan Yeol and Su Ho baekhyun attended Kyung Hee Cyber University and took online classes for the Culture and Arts Department of Business Administration. He is the member who had the shortest training time.
2016: Collaboration with Suzy for “Dream”.
His collaboration entitled “Dream ” will be launched on January 7 at 12:00AM.
This collaboration is very special because each carries the title as the star representative of JYP Entertainment and SM Entertainment.& respectively.
Producer Park Geun Tae& has been interested in Suzy and Baekhyun’s talents and suggested that they will participate in a duet, both agencies agreed immediately upon knowing the producer’s keen sense.
“Dream” is a pop and R&B song with a unique and emotional tone. The lyrics tell the story of a man and a woman in love which is beautifully expressed by Suzy and Baekhyun’s voices. “Dream” is a romantic R&B pop song inspired by jazz and neo-soul with sweet lyrics describing the early stages of falling in love.
The single was released on January 7 at midnight KST along with the music video. The duet dominated the music charts as soon as it was released on various online sites on January 7 at midnight.
“Dream” took No. 1 on the Gaon chart for the second week in a row. According to Gaon, on Jan. 21 “Dream” takes No. 1 on the digital, download, streaming, album and social charts.
Acting debut in Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo
It was reported that he will debut in the drama ‘Moon Lovers’, an upcoming remake of a Chinese drama. Baekhyun will play one of the emperor’s heirs. Actors Lee Joon Gi and Kang Ha Neul have already confirmed their appearance in the drama.
“Moon Lovers” is the story of a woman named Jang Hyo who suddenly returns to the Qing Dynasty. The drama is based on the popular Chinese drama “Scarlet Heart,” which aired in 2011. Since the original drama tells the story in China, the remake will be set in Korea.
Baekhyun will play the tenth prince, Wang Eun, in this debut drama. Wang Eun is a playful character but this is just a mask to hide his shyness and inability to express his true feelings.
SM Station “The Day” with K.Will
May 10, 2016, SM Entertainment revealed that Baekhyun in collaboration with K.Will would release the following digital single for the project SM Station with their digital single entitled ‘The Day which will be launched on May 13.
On May 13 at midnight KST, the digital music channel, SM STATION, released the track “The Day “featuring Baekhyun and K. Will, as well as the music video for the song.
The track is a ballad about longing for a lost love, and the music video shows a man facing happy memories of the past while regretting his decisions. Although Baekhyun and K.Will do not take on roles in the music video, they are seen singing emotionally against a black backdrop throughout the video.
2017: Collaboration with So You for “Rain.”
On February 6, a source from Starship Entertainment commented, “Soyou and Baekhyun are preparing their new music. It is planned to be released in mid-February.”.
Soyou and Baekhyun’s collaboration will be through Starship Entertainment’s Starship X label, responsible for other successful releases such as Soyou and Junggigo’s “Some.”.
On February 14 at midnight KST, “Rain”, the song sung by EXO’s Baekhyun and SISTAR’s Soyou, was finally released through Starship Entertainment’s sub-agency, “Starship X”.
This highly anticipated release was produced by songwriting team Phat Music, who has worked with groups like GFRIEND, and talks about the nostalgia someone feels for a past love while looking at the falling rain. The song highlights Soyou’s sweet and husky vocals and Baekhyun’s clear and sonorous voice that complement each other perfectly and also highlight the harmonies during the climax of the song.
His song reached the top of the eight major Korean music charts, successfully achieving an all-kill just nine hours after the song’s release.
Collaboration in SM Station 2 with “Take You Home”.
Baekhyun will release a single through SM STATION. The song, titled ‘Take You Home’, will be available on digital music services on April 14 at 6 p.m. The accompanying video will also be released through SMTOWN’s official YouTube and Naver TV channels. On April 8, fans will be given a small preview of the track’s concept through a teaser video.
“I’ll Take You There” is Baekhyun’s first solo song in two years. The new track will be the third release of SM STATION Season 2.
2018: collaboration for the SM Station 0 “Young” project
On August 1, he released a mysterious trailer for STATION 0 that includes people concentrating on their phones while waiting in line to enter a venue and also on a rooftop. The Baekhyun and Loco track is one of the six releases that will be part of SM’s digital project Station x 0.
“YOUNG” is about an electro pop track with a heavy beat and addictive melody. The lyrics are about the strong aspirations of a young generation that refuses to live in a way that is equal to others. Loco notably wrote the lyrics for the rap part.
With strong beats and an addictive melody, the electro pop song contains an inspiring message about the ambitious young generation. It expresses that it’s okay to live differently from the rest of the world and not conform to an exact or expected mold. Baekhyun’s voice and Loco’s rap create a strong and mesmerizing synergy that reflects the song’s message.
Coupled with the lyrics, the music video also offers an abstract representation of breaking free from a repetitive lifestyle and finding your own individuality. Following its release on August 31, by 9PM KST, “YOUNG” was #1 on the real-time charts of music sites including Melon, Genie, Bugs, Soribada and Olleh Music.
It also took the top spot on the iTunes singles chart in twelve countries including Turkey, the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Armenia, Kazakhstan, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Malaysia, the Philippines, Vietnam, Cambodia and Brunei and topped the overall chart on popular Chinese music site Xiami Music.
2019: Debut as a solo artist with his first mini-album “City Lights”.
On June 10, news outlet Star News reported that Baekhyun would release a solo album in July. And, in response, a source from SM Entertainment confirmed “Baekhyun is preparing a solo album – he plans to release it in July.”.
The new album, Baekhyun’s first official solo effort since his debut with EXO seven years ago, is titled “City Lights” and will be released on July 10, it will contain six songs, including the title track “ONE Village” the b-side song, “Stay Up” features the collaboration of rapper Beenzino producers Darkchild, Stereotypes, Cha Cha Malone, LDN Noise, Kenzie, DEEZ, Leon, DRESS and singer-songwriter Colde participated in the album.
“ONE Village” is a romantic R&B track produced by Leon and DRESS. The lyrics are about taking someone to a hill behind the luxurious UN Village in the Hannam neighborhood to show them the beautiful night view.
“ONE Village” topped the real-time charts of major music sites Bugs, Naver and Soribada. It took the No.5 spot on Melon and Genie, as well as the No.38 spot on Mnet.
The album also topped domestic physical album charts, including Hanteo, Synnara Records, Kyobo Bookstore and Hottracks, as well as China’s QQ Music and KuGou Music. Previously, the album achieved over 400,000 copies in pre-order sales.
On August 8, the Korea Music Content Association (KMCA) officially announced “Baekhyun’s [mini] solo album ‘City Lights’ has sold 508,321 copies and ranked No. 1 on the July monthly album chart.”.
KMCA confirmed “This record marks the highest monthly sales for any solo artist album in Gaon Chart history.” baekhyun previously topped Gaon’s weekly albums chart with “City Lights” for the week of July 7-13.
2020: Back with his second mini-album “Delight”.
On April 22, OSEN reported that he is preparing to release a solo album in May. According to the report, he is actively participating in the production process. And, in response, SM Entertainment commented “Baekhyun is preparing his solo album with May as the target, please follow him.”.
On May 6, Baekhyun’s official website was updated with a teaser photo and he would be releasing his second mini-album, “Delight” the album will be released on May 25 at 6 p.m. KST; it includes a total of seven R&B genre tracks, and the title song, “Candy” is a modern R&B song and the lyrics compare my various charms of Baek Hyun and his looks to various flavors of candy. The song was composed by Mike Daley, Mitchell Owens, DEEZ and Adrian McKinnon, and the Korean lyrics are by Kenzie.
The number of pre-orders for stocks of Baekhyun’s second mini-album, “Delight” the number of orders surpassed 732,297, setting a new personal record.
May 25 at 5:20 pm KST, “Delight” had sold 600,908 albums according to Hanteo Chart, breaking Kang Daniel’s record for the most albums sold by a solo artist in the first week in less than a day. surpassing his first mini-album, “City Lights” sold 380,769 albums in the first week.
On May 25 at 6 p.m. KST, the Album reached #1 on the iTunes Top Albums charts in 68 different regions, including the United States, Canada, France, United Arab Emirates, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Chile, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Egypt, El Salvador, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Laos, Luxembourg, Macao, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Mozambique, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Oman, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, Bahamas, Turkey, Ukraine and Vietnam.
“Delight” also reached No. 1 in sales on the popular Chinese music site QQ Music, selling over 100,000 copies within 3 hours and 28 minutes of its release, “Delight” surpassed 2 million yuan (approximately $280,000) in album sales and became the first Korean album of the year to be certified double platinum on the site.
By May 26 at 1 a.m. KST, “Candy” reached No. 1 on the Melon, Genie, Bugs and Soribada real-time charts, and also ranked No. 22 on the FLO real-time chart.
Back with the Single “Amusement Park”.
It has been revealed that Baekhyun would release a new single, “Amusement Park” on December 21 at 6 PM KST.
“Amusement Park” is a mid-tempo R&B song composed by iHwak, Royal Dive and Saimon, and the lyrics were written by iHwak and Royal Dive. Being a special gift that Baekhyun prepared for his fans, the song compares someone’s love to an amusement park.
2021: Debut in Japan with his first mini-album “BAEKHYUN”.
The album is scheduled to be released on January 20, 2021. “BAEKHYUN” and consists of a total of six songs “Get You Alone” being the main song, followed by “Addicted” , “WHIPPIN” , “Drown” , “Disappeared “ and “Stars”.
The album will be available in a total of six different limited editions: “Get Yhou Alone” version, “Addicted” version, “WHIPPIN” version, “Drown” version, “Disappeared” version and “Stars” version (EXO-L Japan exclusive edition). All songs are based on the theme of love and are said to represent different sides of Baekhyun, each song will have a limited edition album version.
The mini-album, “BAEKHYUN” debuted at #2 on Oricon’s daily albums chart with 39,047 estimated sales and #2 on Oricon’s weekly albums chart with 47,746 estimated sales.
In the RIAJ certification for the month of January 2021, Baekhyun’s first Japanese solo mini album was included, “BAEKHYUN” obtaining the gold certification.
Back with his Third Mini-Album “Bambi”.
On March 4, Herald POP reported that Baekhyun is in the final stages of preparation to make his solo comeback at the end of March.
In response to the report, a source at SM Entertainment confirmed “Baekhyun will release a new solo album on March 30 – look forward to it with anticipation.”.
On March 11 KST, the first teaser for his solo comeback was shared for his return on March 30 T at 6 PM KST with his third mini-album “Bambi” the album contains a total of six tracks, including “Amusement Park” and, the theme song, “Bambi”.
On March 30, it was reported that “Bambi” recorded 833,392 advance orders (as of March 29 KST), its highest record ever.
“Bambi” is an R&B song, composed by DEEZ, YUNSU, SAAY and Adrian McKinnon. Written by DEEZ and SAAY, the lyrics portray a mature love story using expressions used in fairy tales.
Baekhyun (EXO) Collaborations
- Colde – When Dawn Comes Again (Feat. Byun Baek Hyun) (2021)
- Byun Baek Hyun & Do Young – Doll (2021)
- BOL4 – Leo (ft. Baek Hyun) (2020)
- Various Artists – One Dream One Korea (feat. YoungJae (GOT7), Min Ah, Sandeul (B1A4) and Cho Ah ) (2015)
- You Are My Lucky Star (ft Sunny from Girls’ Generation ) (2014)
- “Beyond LIVE – BAEKHYUN: LIGHT”. 2021
- 03 January – Seoul, South Korea – V Live
- 2021: SMTOWN LIVE “Culture Humanity” (01.01.2021)
Baekhyun (EXO) Drama
- Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo (SBS, 2016)
- EXO Next Door (LINE/Naver TV Cast, 2015)
Baekhyun (EXO) Musicals
- 2014: Singing in the Rain as “Don Lockwood”
Baekhyun (EXO) Awards
Baekhyun (EXO) Radio Programs
- 2015: MBC Kim Shinyoung Noon’s Hope Song (25.06.2015, besides Xiumin and Sehun)
- 2014: Sukira Kiss the radio (01.04.2014, Special Dj)
- 2014: SBS-R Power Jung Sunhee (18.01.2014, besides Sehun)
- 2014: 2O’clock Date (10.01.2014, besides Kai)
- 2013: MBC Kang Dasom FM Date Radio (12/27/13)
- 2013: MBC Kang Dasom FM Date Radio (12/23/13)
- 2013: KBS-R 2 ‘o’Clock’ (17.12.2013, besides D.O, Chen and Luhan
- 2013: MBC-R Live on Air (17.12.2013, besides D.O, Chen and Luhan)
- 2013: MBC-R ‘Live on Air’ (17.12.2013, besides D.O, Luhan, and Chen)
- 2013: (SBS) Cultwo Show (16.12.13, besides D.O, Chen and Luhan)
- 2013: Young street Radio (13.12.2013, besides D.O and Chen)
- 2013: ShimShimtapa (12.12.13, Baekyun and D.O)
- 2013: ShimShimTapa (11.12.2013, with D.O and Chen)
- 2013: SBS Love Game (11.12.2013, besides D.O and Chen)
- 2013: Gayo Plaza Radio (09.12.2013 with D.O and Chen)
- 2013: Sukira kiss the radio (16.09.2013, besides Chen as special dj)
- 2013: MBC FM4U’s Midday Hopeful Song (08/29/2013, Luhan, Chanyeol, Kris, Suho, Chen, Tao and Kai)
- 2013: Sukira Kiss The Radio (07/14/13, with Chen as special DJ)
- 2013: KBS-FM Kiss The Radio (06/26/13, Lay, Chen, Chanyeol and D.O)
- 2013: Arirang-R Sound K ‘AN’R (20/06/13, besides Suho, Kris and Chen)
- 2013: Boom’s Youngstreet Radio (06/18/13)
- 2013: SBS-R Power FM Boom’s Young Street (31.05.13, Xiumin, Suho, Chanyeol, Chen and Tao)
Baekhyun (EXO) TV Programs
- Master Key (SBS, 2017)
- After School Club (23.06.2015, besides Kai)
- Hello Counselor (2015, together with Chanyeol and Chen)
- Inkigayo (SBS, 2014, as fixed MC)
- Roommate (27.07.2014, special guest appearance by Chanyeol)
- Showbiz Korea – Simply Kpop (06.01.2014, besides Luhan, D.O and Chen)
- mPD’s MVP (Mnet, 21.12.2013 together Lay, Chen, D.O and Luhan, interview).
- Super Hit (Mnet, 20.12.2013, besides D.O, Luhan, Lay and Chen)
- Super Star K’5′ (08.11.2013, with Xiumin and Chanyeol)
- Quiz to Change The World (MBC, 02.11.2013, with Luhan)
- Inkigayo (SBS, 06.10.2013, as special MC)
- Quiz to Change The World (MBC, 29.09.2013, besides Suho)
- Idol Athletics Championship (MBC, 18.09.2013, besides SuHo, Kai, Sehun, Kris, Xiumin, Luhan and Tao)
- Immortal Song 2 (KBS, 14.09. 2013, besides Kai, Lay, Sehun, D.O, Luhan, Chen and Xiumin)
- Beatles Code 2 (02.09.13, Xiumin, D.O, Sehun, Lay, Suho and Baekhyun)
- Immortal Song 2 (KBS, 31.08.2013, Baekhyun, D.O, Kai, Sehun, Xiumin, Lay and Chen)
- Music Bank (KBS, 23.08.13, Chanyeol and Baekyun as special MC)
- Immortal Songs 2 (KBS, 17.08.13 with Chen)
- Super Dog (KBS, 17.08.13, Xiumin, Kris, Luhan, Suho, D.O, Baekyun and Kai)
- Star King (06.07.13, Luhan, Xiumin, Suho, Baekhyun, Kai and Sehun)
Baekhyun (EXO) TV Drama’s
- Is it Me theme for Lovers of the Red Sky (2021)
- U theme for Doom at Your Service (2021)
- Happy subject for Do You Like Brahms? (2020)
- Every Second subject for Record of Youth (2020)
- On The Road theme for Hyena (2020)
- My Love subject for Romantic Doctor, Teacher Kim 2 (2020)
- For You (together with Chen and Xiumin ) theme for Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo (2016)
- Beautiful subject for EXO Next Door (2015)
Video Game Featuring
- Crush u (together with Chen and Xiumin) theme for Blade & Soul (2016)
Baekhyun (EXO) Music Videos
- Girls’ Generation – TTS – Twinkle (2012) Cameo