Baek A Yeon Facts
- Religion: Christian
- Education: Howon University (Department of Practical Music)
- Specialties: Piano, composition, singing.
- Hobbies: Writing song lyrics, nail art.
- Instruments: Piano, keyboard and guitar.
- When she was in the second grade, she battled a malignant lymphoma that developed on her face around her lips. Because of this, she underwent cancer treatments for about a year and a half.
- Placed 3rd in the program Kpop Star and after finishing the program, she signed with JYP Entertainment.
- She was the first artist of Kpop Star to debut.
- She made her debut as an official part of JYP NATION at JYP NATION CONCERT 2014.
- On September 13, 2012, she collaborated on a classic version of “Sad Song” with pianist Lee Jin Wiik and Odd Eye.
- Their song “Shouldn’t Have…” was ranked #1 by Mnet and Olleh. In the top 10 by Cyworld, Melon, Naver and Daum. After 3 weeks, their song was ranked #2 by Intiz Chart Korea. Being admirable due to competition from groups like BIGBANG, EXO and SHINee finally, in the digital singles category of the Gaon Chart 2015, it ranked #1 in online downloads.
- She stated on a radio station that “Shouldn’t Have…” was based on a personal experience.
- She won the lead role in the Korean version of the musical “Cinderella”, playing the princess of the popular Disney fairy tale.
- She occupied the first place in the “Top Soloist” of the year 2015 with her song “Shouldn’t Have…”, which is positioned as the most downloaded female solo of the year, reaching 1,277,626 digital downloads at the end of the year.
- For her first solo concert, all tickets were quickly sold out.
- Within hours of its release, the single “so-so” reached the #1 spot on the main Korean music download sites, taking the top spot away from TWICE her agency partners.
- The song “Just Because” in collaboration with JB from GOT7 has reached #1 on ollehmusic, genie and bugs.
About Baek A Yeon
Born on March 11, 1993 in Seongnam, Gyeonggi-do, she is currently studying at the Department of Practical Music, Howon University.
She participated in the first season of K-pop Star and was one of the top three contestants, along with Jamie and Lee Hi after being eliminated, several agencies approached her to try to get her to sign with them, but she ended up signing with JYP Entertainment and the company announced on May 22 that Baek A Yeon (who came in third place) will join JYP Entertainment.
The agency stated, “After Park Jimin joined JYP Entertainment, Baek A Yeon and Park Jae Hyung also signed with JYP Entertainment. They are currently training as trainees.”.
JYP continued “Both contestants and JYP met, we believe they are very talented and have a lot of potential. We hope they will continue to pay attention to Baek A Yeon and Park Jae Hyun who will be trained through the JYP system.”.
2012: Debut as Soloist with her First Mini-Album “I’m Baek”.
Debut mini-album announced “I’m Baek” which contains a total of five songs, with the main one being “Sad Song” the song “Always” was produced by Jun.K from 2PM the album was released on all music platforms on September 10.
“Sad Song” is a ballad that was composed by Super Changddai and lyrics written by JY Park.
2013: Return with her second mini-album “A Good Girl”.
It was revealed that Baek A Yeon would make her comeback with her second mini-album “A Good Girl” the album contains a total of five songs, the main one being “A Good Boy” and the director of the music video is the singer’s older brother BoA Kwon Soon Wook.
“A Good Boy” composed by Choi Hyun Joon of V.O.S. and produced by Lee Won team, the song portrays a sweet and young love story.
2015: Back with their First Single “Shouldn’t Have…”
JYP Entertainment revealed Baek A Yeon’s possible comeback, and later confirmed that she would be making a comeback with the song “Shouldn’t Have…” on May 20, the lyrics were written by her and she also participated in the composition.
“Shouldn’t Have…” is a song based on her own experiences of thinking she found that special someone but it only results in bittersweet emotions for the heart. Despite little promotion, people identified with the lyrics and were captured by the singer’s enchanting voice.
Her agency, JYP Entertainment, announced that due to the unexpected popularity of the song, Baek A Yeon would be introducing “Shouldn’t Have…” in music programs for the first time on the June 11 episode of Mnet’s M!Countdown before continuing on to MBC’s Music Core, SBS’s Inkigayo, Arirang TV’s Simply K-Pop and SBS MTV’s The Show.
June 12 at 1 PM KST, “Shouldn’t Have…” which was released on May 20, took second place on the Melon music chart, as well as third place on the Naver, Monkey 3 Music and Genie charts.
2016: Back with her second single “So-so”.
On May 11, it was revealed that Baek A Yeon is likely to make her comeback with a new song this month. According to reports, she was working hard on her new album. Baek A Yeon’s representatives reported that she is still deciding whether she will make a comeback with a single or an album.
Its agency, JYP Entertainment, released the first teaser of its new release on May 16 at midnight, confirming earlier speculation that it would take place this month.
Baek A Yeon made her comeback on May 24 at midnight KST with the single “So So” with a second song “Something to Say” she herself wrote the lyrics of the song.
“So So” is a neo urban pop track with lyrics about wanting to experience love, but not feeling excitement about dating, romance or relationships.
On May 24 at midnight KST, the song claimed the top spot on all music charts, and continues to hold the top spot on the real-time charts of Melon, Mnet, Genie, Olleh Music, Naver Music, Soribada, Bugs and Monkey3. Getting an All-Kill on all 8 online music charts.
Back with their third single “Just Because”.
JYP Entertainment revealed on Nov. 25 at midnight KST that Baek A Yeon would be releasing a Christmas song featuring JB from GOT7, “Just Because, which was launched on November 30 at midnight KST.
“Just Because” talks about how the winter season reminds them of their past love.
2017: Back with her Third Mini-Album “Bittersweet”.
Reports within the industry said Baek A Yeon was preparing to release a new song. JYP Entertainment confirmed the news and said “Baek A Yeon will release a new song on May 29, we will release more details in the future.”.
On May 22 KST, a teaser image for their comeback was shared, as well as the name of their third mini-album was revealed “Bittersweet” to be released on May 29th at 6 PM KST. The album features six songs, the title track being “Sweet Lies” in collaboration with The Barberettes, “Just Friends” includes lyrics co-written with JYP founder Park Jin Young while “I’m Jealousy” has the collaboration of Jamie.
“Sweet Lies” is a song that talks about hearing romantic things from the person you are interested in even if they are just empty words, while at the same time all you can do is hope that those words are true.
Participation in the SM Station project for the song “The Little Match Girl”.
“The Little Match Girl” is a winter ballad with a warm atmosphere created by piano and orchestral sounds, and the lyrics reinterpret the children’s story of the same name, “The little matchstick seller.” the music video features NCT member Jae Hyun.
2018: Back with her Fourth Mini-Album “Dear Me”.
On November 12, JYP Entertainment shared a teaser image revealing Baek A Yeon’s preparation for the release of her fourth mini-album “Dear Me” the album contains a total of six songs, with the main track being “Sorry To Myself” includes the song “Starlight” with lyrics written by Baek A Yeon herself.
“Sorry To Myself” is a British pop song with electric guitar sounds, rhythmic drums and base and the melancholic sound of piano. The song talks about cheering herself up after being hurt by love.
2019: Departure from JYP Entertainment and signing with Eden Entertainment.
JYP Entertainment confirmed Baek A Yeon’s departure from the agency following the termination of her contract through an official statement on its website “Hello, this is JYP Entertainment. We would like to inform you that the exclusive contracts of our artists Baek A Yeon and Baek Ye Rin (15&) ended on August 30 and September 14, respectively..
Searching for their own musical color by trying various genres, Baek A Yeon and Baek Ye Rin have touched listeners with their beautiful voice and music. Although we are now parting ways, JYP will continue to sincerely support these two artists and their bright future..
Thank you to the fans for sending so much love to these two artists. We ask for your continued support so that they can become even more beloved artists who provide happiness to others. thank you.”.
Baek A Yeon posted on Instagram Stories photos of the agency’s building and the word “Goodbye.”.
On December 7, she took to her Instagram account with a profile picture that now shows she is with Eden Entertainment. She also announced the following “Hello, everyone, Baek A Yeon here! There is something very important that I have been wanting to tell you for a while, and I finally do it today! From now on, I will have a new beginning with Eden Entertainment! As a new beginning, I hope to show a better side of myself in the future! Thank you for the love and support you have sent me, please continue to see me! Oh! You can see news about me at Eden Entertainment in the future!”.
2020: Back with their Fourth Single “Looking for Love”.
On June 1 at midnight KST, a teaser was released confirming its June comeback date. Baek A Yeon would be released on June 16 single “Looking for Love” marking her first release since her departure from JYP Entertainment in 2019.
“Looking For Love” is an R&B song that features brass sounds and various acoustic instruments that come together to create a warm atmosphere. The lyrics reflect the journey of someone who feels lonely to finally find happiness and love. Baek A Yeon expressed her love for the song when she said, “I think this is the most exciting and refreshing song I have released so far.”.
Back with her Fifth Single “I Need You”.
On Nov. 26, Eden Entertainment confirmed it would release an album in late Dec. The company said “Baek A Yeon is preparing for the album with the goal of releasing it in late December.”.
On December 7, through her Twitter account, her return with her fifth single was confirmed “I Need You” which will be released on December 24 at 6 PM KST.
“I Need You” is an R&B song whose lyrics express the need for that special person who left them and that the empty space they left is cold, and the only way to warm it up is for that person to come back to their side.
2021: Back with her Fifth Mini-Album “Observe”.
On May 27, Eden Entertainment shared that Baek A Yeon would release a new album “Baek A Yeon is currently working on a new album with the goal of returning this summer.”.
On June 27 KST, through the company’s Twitter account it was made known that it would make its return on July 13 with its fifth mini-album “Observe” at 6 PM KST.
On July 6, Eden Entertainment confirmed that Baek A Yeon tested negative for COVID test. She got tested after being close contact with a confirmed person in ‘On Air – Spin Off’ and due to that she would do quarantine, so the release of her new mini-album would be delayed. The new schedule would be announced soon.
On August 17 at 12 KST, Eden Entertainment confirmed the new release date for the mini-album “Observe” which will be held on September 7 at 6PM KST, and whose theme song is “0%”.
“0%” is a ballad and Baek A Yeon participated in writing its lyrics. The song’s lyrics are about not having the personal battery to do anything and the need to recover.
Baek A Yeon Collaborations
- MC Mong – 죽도록 사랑해 (Feat. Baek A Yeon) (2021).
- Fly To The Sky – Day By Day (Song by Baek A Yeon) (2019)
- Yong Jun Hyung – Collection (feat. Baek A Yeon) (2018)
- Jun. K – Don’t Go (feat. Baek A Yeon) (2016)
- Sleepy – Kibuntat (feat. Baek A Yeon) (2015)
- Taecyeon & Chansung (2PM ) – Please Come Back (feat. Baek A Yeon) (2014).
- Yim Jae Bum – Pursuing The Happyness (feat. Baek A Yeon) (2012)
- Baek A Yeon 1st Concert “Whispering the First Story” 2015
- 07, 08 and 09 August – Seoul, South Korea – Hongdae &Veloso
- august 14, 15 & 16 – Seoul, South Korea – Hongdae Veloso
- Baek A Yeon Concert “Sogon Sogon – The 2nd Story” 2016
- july 22, 23 & 24 – Seoul, South Korea – KT&G Sangsang Art Hall
- JYP Nation Hong Kong (08/30/2014)
- JYP Nation Bangkok (12/13/2014).
- 2PM World Tour Go Crazy in Bangkok (11.10.2014)
- Let’s Only Walk The Flower Road (KBS, 2017)
Baek A Yeon Musicals
- Cinderella (2015)
Baek A Yeon Awards
Baek A Yeon Radio Programs
- (MBC) Live on Air (17.08.2016)
- (SBS) Radio100 (08/10/2016)
- (KBS) CoolFM (16.07.2016)
- (KBS) Happy DOUCY Jo Sung Mo (27.06.2016)
- (MBC) Moonlight Paradise (25.06.2016)
- (SBS) Bae Seong Jae FM (10.06.2016)
- (KBS) Sukira Kiss The Radio (09.06.2016)
- (MBC) Moonlight Paradise (02.06.2016)
Baek A Yeon TV Programs
- (Arirang) After School Club (04.12.2018) (Ep.345)
- (MBC) King of Mask Singer (2016)
- (JTBC) Two Yoo Project – Sugar Man (05.07.2016)
- (KBS) Yoo Hee Yeol’s Sketchbook (18.06.2016)
- (KBS) Hello Counselor ep. 279 (06.13.2016)
- (KBS) Yoo Hee Yeol’s Sketchbook (11.09.2015)
- (KBS) Let’s Go! Dream Team ll (2015)
- (JTBC) 100 People, 100 Songs (2015)
- (JTBC) Two Yoo Project – Sugar Man (2015)
- (SBS) Kpop Star 4 (2014)
- (SBS) Healing C& (2013)
- (SBS) 음을 찾는 사람들 (2013).
- (SBS) Golden Family (2013)
- (SBS) Strong Heart (2012) Ep 129-130
- (SBS) Kpop Star 1 (2011)
Baek A Yeon TV Drama’s
- Stay With Me theme for Monthly Magazine Home (2021)
- Wherever theme for The Spies Who Loved Me (2020)
- Hello My Lover theme for Vagabond (2019)
- Just Go subject for Doctor John (2019)
- Always Be With You theme for Encounter (2019)
- Was It You theme for Wok of Love (2018)
- A Lot Like Love theme for Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo (2016)
- So We Are theme for Yong Pal (2015)
- Morning Of Canon theme for Fated To Love You (2014)
- Three Things I Have Left theme for Angel Eyes (2014)
- Tears Are Also Love subject for The Goddess of Fire, Jung Yi (2013)
- Introduction to Love subject for When a Man Loves (2013)
- Daddy Long Legs subject for Cheongdamdong Alice (2012)
Themes for TV Programs
- Gift (together with Sandeul ) theme for Two Yoo Project – Sugar Man (2016)
- The First Time I Met You (besides Hwang Chi Yeol) theme for Two Yoo Project – Sugar Man (2015)
- I Want To See subject for Kpop Star (2012)
- Run Devil Run subject for Kpop Star (2012)
- My Boy subject for Kpop Star (2012)
- Can’t Fight The Moonlight subject for Kpop Star (2012)
- Atlantis Princess subject for Kpop Star (2012)
Baek A Yeon Music Videos
- 15& &- Somebody (2012)